Google talk without 2-step verification help needed

velis

Jul 28, 2005
Not exactly for this subforum, but I can't seem to find a more appropriate one.

The problem:
1. I had gmail and google talk running normally from browser
2. I wanted to download and use google talk client

So, everything worked fine, I just wanted to have a dedicated gtalk client.
The client I downloaded from Google refused to connect continuously nagging about password not matching username.

Trying to resolve the issue finally led to me enabling 2-step verification using call to my phone, where an automated system tells me the verification code. Then I enabled application password and was finally able to have my gtalk client working.

However, the whole ordeal resulted in Outlook also requiring this new password and my work computer wanted to be validated when I loaded my google.com/ig page. Particulary thils last one resulted in an immediate phone ring with said verification code automated message.

I don't want any of this. I already have google account with a perfectly fine password. This crap verification I don't want or need.

How do I turn it off?
How do I make gtalk client work without it?

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
If you have an Android phone you can install and run the Authenticator and get the number that way instead of having it call your phone. I've been using it since it came out and you only need it about once a month or whenever you log into a new browser. It's really unintrusive and the application passwords work forever, which is kind of a security hole but I think it's worth it overall.

In the Account Overview portion of your account settings there's an option for "2-step verification", you should be able to disable it there and use GTalk just fine with your normal password.