Question Google Nest Mesh Wi-Fi or something else?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I need a mesh system for my new home. Home is 1800 SF and I will likely get a 500 mb connection or 1 GB if available. Only me and my partner using Wi-Fi. No gaming, no internet intensive work. Work is just using office apps and mirroring content to Dropbox. We stream Netflix and sports but no 4k TV. Looking for a set-it-and-forget-it option. Nest wifi seems to fit this description but the hardware is a little old now. Any other recommendations? Thanks.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Budget?

There is nothing set and forget.
There is things like set and look away for a while... but never forget.

Also with what your needing, unless your getting a hell of a deal on that 1gb fiber, don't bother, as you wont nearly get near capping the bandwidth.
Depending on what you drop into dropbox, the upstream on fiber maybe worth it, as its 1gbe both ways on typical fiber.

But if no budget is the objective, id go with whats proven and the best, and thats the netgear Orbi.

IF you have some network knoweldge, i would probably build my infrastructure using either Ubiquiti, egenius, or Zyxel access points though a dedicated PoE Switch with a custom Router using either a protectli or a fitlet2.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Eero Pro 6E are out now $250 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091G65HH6 / $500 for 2

Or use a decent router and add an AP for $150. I'm using a NWA210AX that covers 1300 pretty easily and could probably cover quite a bit more since it does bleed outside of the walls. I can hit internal LAN speeds over 1gbps using the 2.5gbps port on the AP.

If you're in a high density WIFI situation with neighbors close by then a 6E option would be Netgear WAX630E @ $350 would be an option if your devices support 6ghz or you're willing to upgrade them.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Budget?

There is nothing set and forget.
There is things like set and look away for a while... but never forget.

Also with what your needing, unless your getting a hell of a deal on that 1gb fiber, don't bother, as you wont nearly get near capping the bandwidth.
Depending on what you drop into dropbox, the upstream on fiber maybe worth it, as its 1gbe both ways on typical fiber.

But if no budget is the objective, id go with whats proven and the best, and thats the netgear Orbi.

IF you have some network knoweldge, i would probably build my infrastructure using either Ubiquiti, egenius, or Zyxel access points though a dedicated PoE Switch with a custom Router using either a protectli or a fitlet2.
Up to $300. I figure I will need one router and two mesh transmitters (basement + second floor). I don't have any networking knowledge. With the work stuff its basically just small files. Powerpoint, spreadsheets, PDF, etc. Mostly a few MB each although I can get PPT up to 200 MB.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Up to $300
Assuming you have the router already then 2 AP's would get you better performance than dealing with the pods. If you're renting the ISP device picking one up pays for itself in a year. It depends on if we're talking Fiber or Cable though as to the ISP device.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Assuming you have the router already then 2 AP's would get you better performance than dealing with the pods. If you're renting the ISP device picking one up pays for itself in a year. It depends on if we're talking Fiber or Cable though as to the ISP device.
Sorry I must have mis-spoke. I don't have anything yet. Don't own a router or access points. I think I may have confused by writing "access point" when I met mesh transmitter.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
better question is do you have any wifi6 devices or intend to have wifi6 devices in the future soon.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
better question is do you have any wifi6 devices or intend to have wifi6 devices in the future soon.
If Pete gets a WIFI6 AP and it lasts 5-10 years I'm sure he'll be reaping the rewards in that time. Not to mention there are benefits to using WIFI6 network equipment beyond the client alone. Of course upgrading laptops / devices to WIFI6 would be beneficial but, that will naturally occur as devices get replaced over time.

Now, 6E is a different story as that adds 6GHZ to the mix and absolutely would need some upgrades to occur to use that band. 6E is only beneficial for those in dense WIFI environments though as the other characteristics don't change other than adding the 6GHZ band to the mix. Typically the best use case for this is going to be apartments / condos / business buildings / MDU's basically where there's a ton of overlapping signals.

1654027824370.png

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I like the refurbished Linksys system I got off woot. It works ok and I situated two of the APs making a triangle formation away from the middle one. It works alright to reach the distant parts of my L shaped house.

Look up Velop. Most of the setup can be done using an app on your phone.