Google Hangouts Client for Windows...is YakYak still it?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I installed YakYak after Google stopped supporting their hangouts app. I really only use it for chatting with a few coworkers without using my phone. I had an issue 6 months ago where YakYak stopped working (probably due to a windows update or something).....I uninstalled/reinstalled a different version and got it working....now it's messed up again. Just wondering if I should look at a different/better client?

I miss the old days when I ran an OpenFire server...

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Just open the Gmail webpage. Hangouts should be open in the bottom left (?) corner.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Just open the Gmail webpage. Hangouts should be open in the bottom left (?) corner.
That's what I've been doing since YakYak broke...you can actually pop it out into its own window....which is nice, but I like a client so I can run it in the background unless I get a message.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That's what I've been doing since YakYak broke...you can actually pop it out into its own window....which is nice, but I like a client so I can run it in the background unless I get a message.
If you're using Chrome you can set it to give you a desktop notification, you don't need the webpage open. I'm not sure if that lets Chrome spam you with loads of Gmail notifications as well then though!