Google Fiber Dead

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
They just opened signups in my area of Austin, so hopefully they will honor that and lay out the fiber. Since Spectrum bought out TWC they have been undoing the free speed upgrades TWC gave to users in areas that Fiber was encroaching upon. The news that Fiber is being put on pause will only help to quicken the downgrades. If Fiber backs out of my area I'll likely go from 300/20 to 50/5 and still pay $70/mo for that privilege. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: PliotronX

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Don't worry, TWC just got bought by AT and T so they can consolidate inefficiencies and pass the savings lovingly onto us, their dear customers.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Don't worry, TWC just got bought by AT and T so they can consolidate inefficiencies and pass the savings lovingly onto us, their dear customers.

Ummm it's AT&T buying Time Warner.
There's a difference between Time Warner and Time Warner Cable too...

This is the same as Comcast buying NBC. AT&T is going for the CONTENT -- mainly HBO and Warner Brothers -- that Time Warner owns. Has nothing to do with cable service.

Reactions: Ken g6
Feb 4, 2009
This could be like Fios when they paused to consolidate what they already built. I wouldn't say its over yet but I will say Googles Fiber business model never made much sense.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'm not so sure "monopolies" mean what you think they mean...

Really? What would you call the small group of organizations using extensive financial efforts to minimize growth of such efforts as Google fiber.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
This is the same as Comcast buying NBC. AT&T is going for the CONTENT -- mainly HBO and Warner Brothers -- that Time Warner owns. Has nothing to do with cable service.

well, that's what she said, but damn that passive voice! :mad:

(but yeah: TWC /= TW. I didn't realize that it was TW for most of the week that I was listening to this news--assumed it was TWC all this time)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
well, that's what she said, but damn that passive voice! :mad:

(but yeah: TWC /= TW. I didn't realize that it was TW for most of the week that I was listening to this news--assumed it was TWC all this time)

Right. This has noting to do with the cable/internet service at home. It has to do with AT&T securing rights to HBO and Warner Brothers and all the other content creating entities that WB owns. Not to mention the back catalogs worth billions of dollars.

I'm not saying I'm happy about it. I'm just here so everyone gets the facts straight :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It seems that the best way to handle it is the way that they're doing it in Huntsville. It's also another great example of the market showing how competition pushes people to actually... *gasp* compete! WOW! now has gigabit service in the area, and AT&T is bringing out their gigabit fiber service.

I thought they were slowing down on fiber due to exploring gig service over wireless?

It probably has something to do with all the obstruction that they're getting. Apparently, it's quite hard for them to put fiber on the poles, because they have to send off designs to any company whose lines need to be adjusted, and those companies can take something like 30 days to respond. If the company simply complains and denies the request, it can take another 30 days after resubmitting it. Nashville passed a law giving Google the right to move the wires without going through the potentially lengthy process, but AT&T and Comcast are suing the city.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

yeah I did some Googling and an article in the NYT said that TW sold off it's Time Warner Cable division to another cable operator, Charter.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
What? Google starting something and not seeing it through to completion? Well you can knock me over with a feather! ;)

Apparently they are going to try the wireless route because as we all know, wireless works so much better than wired. Well, at least it will be easier.

-KeithP

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
And that's going to be a colossal clusterbleep. At least for the next three decades until the tech and infrastructure can support. Even verizon and at&t are scaling back fios/directv to go with this wireless crap.