News Google+ ending on April 2, 2019

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://support.google.com/plus/answer/9195133

In December 2018, we announced our decision to shut down Google+ for consumers in April 2019 due to low usage and challenges involved in maintaining a successful product that meets consumers’ expectations. We want to thank you for being part of Google+ and provide next steps, including how to download your photos and other content.

Google+ was on life support for so many years, so this isn't much of a surprise. I even accidentally stumbled across this news when in my Google account settings area.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I got an email from Google announcing it this AM. Don't see too much impact one way or the other.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I was only using Google/Finance to give me a free display of my stock portfolio. Now it is no longer - I switched to the free version of Morningstar. Adios Google Finance. :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Got the email too; honestly I'm not even sure what Google+ actually is/was.

I think when it first launched, it was supposed to be a Facebook challenger. I think they might have overestimated their goal just a wee bit...... :p

I think I had one friend sign up for a Google+ account.

p00rhyan

Jun 25, 2018
In December 2018, we announced our decision to shut down Google+ for consumers in April 2019 due to low usage and challenges involved in maintaining a successful product that meets consumers’ expectations. We want to thank you for being part of Google+ and provide next steps, including how to download your photos and other content.

On April 2nd, your Google+ account and any Google+ pages you created will be shut down and we will begin deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts. Photos and videos from Google+ in your Album Archive and your Google+ pages will also be deleted.

You can download and save your content, just make sure to do so before April. Note that photos and videos backed up in Google Photos will not be deleted.

The process of deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts, Google+ Pages, and Album Archive will take a few months, and content may remain through this time. Ping transmit failed error you may see. If you want point your Blogspot blog with godaddy domain name, you can follow the steps https://www.systosys.com/2019/06/connect-godaddy-domain-name-to-blogger-blog.html For example, users may still see parts of their Google+ account via activity log and some consumer Google+ content may remain visible to G Suite users until consumer Google+ is deleted. You may need to fix error 797: the connection to the remote Google server was not made. https://www.corenetworkz.com/2012/09/error-797-connection-to-remote-access.html

As early as February 4th, you will no longer be able to create new Google+ profiles, pages, communities or events. See the full FAQ for more details and updates leading up to the shutdown
Yea, they are going to shutdown Google+ by April 2, 2019. I don't think it will affect the majority of people. Only the Blogspot bloggers will lose some comments on their blog posts.
Readers who wrote comments using Google plus profile will be removed. Those Google plus comments cannot be migrated to Blogger.

Last edited: