Question Google drive and virus

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I work at a school where we use Google classroom and I've just installed google drive on my computer as I wanted to access some files locally. Now my Antivirus reports that there is a virus in a file under /DriveFS/1...30/content_cache/d22/d28 which it then removes. Then at some point Google Drive sync the file again, and history repeats itself. The antivirus is F-secure.

So how do I stop this from happening?

Jul 27, 2020
First, identify what that content cache is for. You may have to alert your School IT Admin that there is some application downloading a suspicious file to that Google Drive folder so they can look into it. I'm assuming that Google Drive folder was created by the school?

Reactions: ch33zw1z

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
First, identify what that content cache is for. You may have to alert your School IT Admin that there is some application downloading a suspicious file to that Google Drive folder so they can look into it. I'm assuming that Google Drive folder was created by the school?
I am the School IT admin (sort of) :)

The easiest would be just to uninstall GD again, but that would not make me learn anything new.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I work at a school where we use Google classroom and I've just installed google drive on my computer as I wanted to access some files locally. Now my Antivirus reports that there is a virus in a file under /DriveFS/1...30/content_cache/d22/d28 which it then removes. Then at some point Google Drive sync the file again, and history repeats itself. The antivirus is F-secure.

So how do I stop this from happening?

Surely Google Drive is throwing some kind of sync warning/error?

... or, F-Secure is reporting a false positive. I'd try disabling it and uploading the file in question to one of those online virus scanning services where like a hundred different engines have a crack at it.

My bet is that this is a false positive, and that the file is part of Google Drive's UI so that's why it keeps attempting to retrieve it.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
Yeah. You could try uninstalling or disabling the F-Secure antivirus temporarily and scan that folder with Windows Defender. Or try Avast or Avira. Bitdefender if you can get it to install the Free version (I rarely have luck doing that. It's like they don't want you to use the Free version).

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Surely Google Drive is throwing some kind of sync warning/error?

... or, F-Secure is reporting a false positive. I'd try disabling it and uploading the file in question to one of those online virus scanning services where like a hundred different engines have a crack at it.

My bet is that this is a false positive, and that the file is part of Google Drive's UI so that's why it keeps attempting to retrieve it.
No errors, just the same file that once every 30 minute is reported infected and deleted by f-secure.

But I'll just uninstall GD, as I have used it for what I needed it for.