Google Chromecast

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
Looks nice for a Netflix box.

Performs the same functions as AppleTv for $35 instead of $100.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah almost, the only downside is you have to use it with a device. Smart phone, tablet or laptop. I guess that can be good and bad....

I also read it includes 3 months free of Netflix for a limited time, which supposedly is good for current subscribers. So $11 for it? I'm sold, good job Google.

From the Site:

*Once your Chromecast ships, you will recieve an email with a promotional code for 3 months of Netflix. Offer valid for previous, new and existing Netflix members, one per Netflix account. Offer expires 12/31/13. For full promotion details, visit google.com/chromecast/offer.

Last edited:

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I'd be surprised if someone bought one of these, and didn't have a device to control it.

I see the argument for the self-contained device, but it's also one less remote to worry about. Because nearly any smartphone, and any laptop or computer can be the remote.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
3 months of Netflix sounds great. I'm down to buy one for my HTPC setup. This way, I don't have to worry about Netflix in XBMC. If only Hulu was part of the deal. Im sure its coming.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
3 months of Netflix sounds great. I'm down to buy one for my HTPC setup. This way, I don't have to worry about Netflix in XBMC. If only Hulu was part of the deal. Im sure its coming.

Your probably right. Selling this @ $35 is going to get a lot of people interested. And devs should and will jump on board.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
This is a Good device for streaming if you have a non-Jelly Bean Android device or iOS device... Mainly because Miracast devices do this and allows you to play games and many other things.

Alan G

Apr 25, 2013
LOL, I just built an HTPC and it certainly cost more than this Google stick, but of course I can play Blu-Ray DVDs and the stick cannot (at least on its own). I just told my daughter who wanted me to build her an HTPC to try this first.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
The fact that I can watch something in Chrome on my PC and then push it to the stick is amazing. I can watch Xfinity and all the streaming sites I love.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
The fact that I can watch something in Chrome on my PC and then push it to the stick is amazing. I can watch Xfinity and all the streaming sites I love.

Very Cool. I thought I read somewhere that Chromecast does all of the work as well. So your phone, tablet or laptop is not just playing it and sending it to the Chromecast, but your hand held will send the info to it so it will play the content on it's own SOC. This is great because you client device could have dead a battery after an hour long Documentary on Youtube.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Very nice so does this replace for example the WiFi usb sticks you have to buy if your tv requires WiFi to use it's own apps ? Because I know some people who have to pay 100 bucks for that WiFi dongle for the tv and they haven't done so because of that.

Medikit

Feb 15, 2006
Very nice so does this replace for example the WiFi usb sticks you have to buy if your tv requires WiFi to use it's own apps ? Because I know some people who have to pay 100 bucks for that WiFi dongle for the tv and they haven't done so because of that.

No it doesn't replace the wifi USB stick but it would make the wifi USB stick less necessary if you no longer want to use the "smart" features of your television.

pkscout

Aug 30, 2012

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say it performs none of the same functions as an AppleTV until you add another multi-hundred dollar device? If you add together the cost of a tablet of some sort with the $35, I think you'll find the AppleTV is a reasonable value at $99.

I think the reality is that it will be very hard to compare the two devices. Apple has a device that can be plugged into a TV and used without having to get out or buy anything else. The Chromestream is cheaper and, arguably, more flexible, but you have to have a tablet or PC with supported software for it to do anything more than draw power.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say it performs none of the same functions as an AppleTV until you add another multi-hundred dollar device? If you add together the cost of a tablet of some sort with the $35, I think you'll find the AppleTV is a reasonable value at $99.

I think the reality is that it will be very hard to compare the two devices. Apple has a device that can be plugged into a TV and used without having to get out or buy anything else. The Chromestream is cheaper and, arguably, more flexible, but you have to have a tablet or PC with supported software for it to do anything more than draw power.

And your assumption that people will have to buy a device specifically to push to chromecast is flawed.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Was honored for one whole day and now this.... so much for until 12/31/2013 :colbert:

That's when the codes expire. Google never said how long they'd offer the deal.

Yes, it sucks that it's already gone. But you're way off base.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Was honored for one whole day and now this.... so much for until 12/31/2013 :colbert:

I love when they say these digital deals and extras are "limited quantity." Like they can't click a button to generate more codes and have magically lost the ability to credit peoples accounts with digital goods and services.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I love when they say these digital deals and extras are "limited quantity." Like they can't click a button to generate more codes and have magically lost the ability to credit peoples accounts with digital goods and services.

You do realize that Google was paying for those months of Netflix, right? They're not just magically giving you free Netflix.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Does anyone know if it *has* to be plugged into the tv's hdmi, or will it work plugged into an hdmi port on a receiver?