Google 6/6 Pro Specs Leaked

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It seems if these leaks hold true, that Google is going to go back to making a more premium flagship phone this year. Also the leak states 5 years of OS and security updates.

Google Pixel 6Google Pixel 6 Pro
OSAndroid 12Android 12
Display6.4 inches AMOLED6.71 inches AMOLED
RAM8GB12GB
Storage128GB/256GB128GB/256GB/512GB
Rear camera50MP (Wide) + 12MP (Ultra wide)50MP (Wide) + 48MP (Tele) + 12MP (Ultra wide)
Front camera8MP12MP
Battery4,614 mAh5,000 mAh

My only issue? Why screw the smaller phone out of a telephoto lens? After the Pixel 5, a lot of us are happier again with smaller phones, but why do we have to lose out on a camera? Only thing I really miss on the Pixel 5 is a damn telephoto lens.

I've always loved the Pixel series for giving me the best version of the Android OS to me, so I didn't mind it wasn't flashy at all. But a lot of people want that premium phone experience, so hopefully Google can reinvigorate the Pixel program - I think it's essential for Android to have this platform.

I'm also slightly nervous about an in screen FPS but perhaps the technology is ready now for that to be the only biometric on the phone.

Last edited:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I haven't been excited about a Google phone since the Nexus years when other manufacturers made them. I always get my hands on a google phone for free through work and always sell them off as they are always lackluster.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Do phones really need 12GB RAM? That is more than my laptop.
Not quite a necessity, but if Google is switching to 5 years of support, then you'll want the added RAM. Although like anything else, there are diminishing returns. The jump from 4 to 8 GB is more meaningful than say from 12 to 16 GB.

Feb 4, 2009
$700 starting price, no thanks.
I’ll stick with my refurb iPhones.
Spent a long time in the wireless industry all mobile devices look the same to me.
Only bummer with my plan is trying to keep my current iPhone working long enough so I can get a 5G model, not for the data speed but to be prepared for the 4G spectrum moving over to 5G which will degrade service. Happens every time there is a new generation.

Reactions: Trader05

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I really like how these look!

screen.gif

If I didn't use Samsungs Secure folder so much this would be the first Pixel I'd actually buy.

Whose actually making them? When I look at the details of the metal frame and stuff I can definitely smell Samsung.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I really like how these look!

View attachment 48179

If I didn't use Samsungs Secure folder so much this would be the first Pixel I'd actually buy.

Whose actually making them? When I look at the details of the metal frame and stuff I can definitely smell Samsung.

As far as I know HTC made the Pixel 5. Samsung is making the chip for the Pixel 6 based on Google's design specifications, but I am not sure who is manufacturing the rest of the phone.

I do like the look of this Pixel. Still just peeved the smaller phone won't get the third camera, and I'm nervous the in display fingerprint sensor won't make me as happy as the rear of the Pixel 5. But, that will be discovered during the reviews.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
As far as I know HTC made the Pixel 5. Samsung is making the chip for the Pixel 6 based on Google's design specifications, but I am not sure who is manufacturing the rest of the phone.

I do like the look of this Pixel. Still just peeved the smaller phone won't get the third camera, and I'm nervous the in display fingerprint sensor won't make me as happy as the rear of the Pixel 5. But, that will be discovered during the reviews.
In display fingerprint sensors are pretty good now. I don't have any issues with the one on my S20fe and I assume that the pixel one will be at least as good. That said I think I did prefer it when it was on the back (like the S9) just for the location. I think the ones mounted in the power button are the best idea.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
If they keep packing in shit batteries, the Pixel is a poor value at its MRSP.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
If they keep packing in shit batteries, the Pixel is a poor value at its MRSP.
Rumour is 5000/4614MaH for the Pixel 6/6pro, which is pretty decent.

Its looking like a solid phone tbh. Mind you it looks like Google are heading into the high end >$1k phones when that trend is starting to lose its lustre.

I'd totally be tempted by this if I wasn't a bit locked into the Samsung ecosystem and their high end budget (is that a thing? I mean the new FE phones) phones weren't so good.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Its looking like a solid phone tbh. Mind you it looks like Google are heading into the high end >$1k phones when that trend is starting to lose its lustre.

I'd totally be tempted by this if I wasn't a bit locked into the Samsung ecosystem and their high end budget (is that a thing? I mean the new FE phones) phones weren't so good.
It’s not the specs, but the long term durability. I got a used Pixel 2 and the battery life is terrible over time due to build quality, wear, and/or aggressive charging. The previous owner maintained in it excellent cosmetic condition but of course they sold it to me on EBay.

At this point, the Pixel 2’s software battery indicator is totally useless. 50 percent might as well be zero percent.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

The pixel 5 battery life is good as well. As you said the 6 specs show a good sized battery. The battery life shouldn't be a problem.

I'm just over big phones. I want flagship specs in a phone the size of the pixel 5 or just slightly bigger.

Unfortunately Google has gone the route of a flagship big phone with a handicapped smaller phone.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It’s not the specs, but the long term durability. I got a used Pixel 2 and the battery life is terrible over time due to build quality, wear, and/or aggressive charging. The previous owner maintained in it excellent cosmetic condition but of course they sold it to me on EBay.

At this point, the Pixel 2’s software battery indicator is totally useless. 50 percent might as well be zero percent.
Unfortunately you bought it used so you don't know how the previous owner treated the battery - did they let it discharge all the time and then charge, etc...

I have a pixel 2xl that I keep as my unlocked phone. I had it for 2 years before the getting the 4xl. I was a heavy phone user, but my pixel 2xl battery life stayed respectable as I tried to never let it get below 25%, and tried not to charge it over 90% most of the time.

The 2xl didn't have amazing battery life ever, but it was ok.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
any thoughts on the camera bulge? looks like it'll catch on your pocket. i guess a case would make it flush.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
any thoughts on the camera bulge? looks like it'll catch on your pocket. i guess a case would make it flush.
Everything has hideous camera bulges now, it's the main reason I've started using cases.

It's a shame because I think that the pixel 6 would look better being slightly meatier in the body with that camera.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Pretty much what you said, a thin case will make it flush. Usually I get a very thin silicone case from a good manufacturer. I'm not letting an $800 plus phone go caseless as I do drop them.

The official Google fabric case is really nice for the pixel 5. They've made them for other pixels, curious to see if they do for a pixel with a protruding camera bulge.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Trader05

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Everything has hideous camera bulges now, it's the main reason I've started using cases.

It's a shame because I think that the pixel 6 would look better being slightly meatier in the body with that camera.
It's all about marketing a thin phone. I'm with you, make the phone thicker and just fill that part with more battery

Reactions: Tlh97 and skriefal

Trader05

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2000
I agree, the regular Pixel 6 should have the same spec as the bigger sibling..thats how its always been with Google. I REALLY do not want to get the 6 Pro because of the size but i may need that 4x tele.

I recently downgraded back to a Pixel 3 (I sold my iphone 11 pro before the new models come out). I forgot how much i loved the size of this phone and the only thing that is mediocre is the battery life and the memory management is just okay. I hope the new phones arent a sh*tshow with software for the day 1 owners.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I agree, the regular Pixel 6 should have the same spec as the bigger sibling..thats how its always been with Google. I REALLY do not want to get the 6 Pro because of the size but i may need that 4x tele.

I recently downgraded back to a Pixel 3 (I sold my iphone 11 pro before the new models come out). I forgot how much i loved the size of this phone and the only thing that is mediocre is the battery life and the memory management is just okay. I hope the new phones arent a sh*tshow with software for the day 1 owners.
Google always finds something to screw up. And so far this year differentiating the two sizes specifications are the glaring one. As far as the software I've done the Android beta program most of the last 5 years except last year. This year has by far been the worst, the most bugs, freezing, lockups. I'm going to venture a guess that part of it is due to covid and just not functioning as well as a team without having some in person interaction.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Trader05

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've been using my 4xl and my battery isn't so good any more. I'm going to be getting the 6 pro since I always go for their top model.
Yeah I'll be getting the pro too for the tele lens. Just really not looking forward to a big phone again.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
$700 starting price, no thanks.
I’ll stick with my refurb iPhones.
Spent a long time in the wireless industry all mobile devices look the same to me.
Only bummer with my plan is trying to keep my current iPhone working long enough so I can get a 5G model, not for the data speed but to be prepared for the 4G spectrum moving over to 5G which will degrade service. Happens every time there is a new generation.

A $700 starting price puts it on par with an iPhone 13 Mini. Makes sense, the specifications are similar.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Seems like Oct 19th is the reveal day for Google. Most likely will be able to order right as the event is ending. I'm glad my 4xl has lasted through up until now. It still runs without issues, randomly a hiccup once in a while which I get from having a ton of apps open all day.