Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Graphics on Switch are fantastic. Many of the Nintendo games have better art styles than a lot of games on PS5 and XSX.

For Nintendo exclusives with art styles carefully tailored to systems with weak hardware. But it's a problem with third party devs. Though there are still some first party games like Xenoblade 2 that can be pretty rough graphically. They really need a new Switch because PS3 graphics capabilities as we get ready to enter 2023 aren't really cutting it anymore.

Jul 27, 2020
Problem with Nintendo is they experiment too much and may revamp the entire console/controller with no backward compatibility instead of iterating on a successful formula like playstation or xbox. I honestly find them super annoying due to this tendency to fix what's not broken.

Reactions: Pohemi

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
For Nintendo exclusives with art styles carefully tailored to systems with weak hardware. But it's a problem with third party devs. Though there are still some first party games like Xenoblade 2 that can be pretty rough graphically. They really need a new Switch because PS3 graphics capabilities as we get ready to enter 2023 aren't really cutting it anymore.
Depends on what game you wanna play. It's not an issue for all 3rd party devs.

Most cross platform games that I play I usually get on Switch because the power doesn't matter. Dead Cells on Switch runs the same on there as it does on XSX and PS5. But I can play it in an airplane on my Switch.

I personally hope there is no "Switch pro" or anything like that, ESPECIALLY a 4K one. They can't even get 4k @ 60fps on PS5 and XSX consistently so no way any hardware in a Switch could do that. If they wanna do a Switch pro, just make a completely new system.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Depends on what game you wanna play. It's not an issue for all 3rd party devs.

Most cross platform games that I play I usually get on Switch because the power doesn't matter. Dead Cells on Switch runs the same on there as it does on XSX and PS5. But I can play it in an airplane on my Switch.

I personally hope there is no "Switch pro" or anything like that, ESPECIALLY a 4K one. They can't even get 4k @ 60fps on PS5 and XSX consistently so no way any hardware in a Switch could do that. If they wanna do a Switch pro, just make a completely new system.

I'd want a Switch Pro in the sense that whatever system they come out with next I'd want to be fully backwards compatible so I could play the games like SMT V, Xenoblade 2, Bayonetta 3, and Age of Calamity that run like crap on the current Switch. And probably Zelda Tears of the Kingdom too if we look back to how poorly Breath of the Wild ran on the Wii U. Hopefully soon because the platform is becoming very limiting offering mid 2000s level of console performance. Would be nice to see it able to do 1080p60 with FreeSync support.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Graphics on Switch are fantastic. Many of the Nintendo games have better art styles than a lot of games on PS5 and XSX.

I go back and forth between PS5 and Switch for the most part, but Switch gets most of the play. Not so much recently though as I've not been playing any console games, but with God of War in a week or so, PS5 will be getting some more play time.

But I have 2 flights coming up mid-November so Switch will also be used on those.

Art and graphics aren't the same thing. The switch has noticeably reduced texture resolution, little or no visible anti aliasing due to the low resolution, and the character models are much lower quality. They have to be just based on the hardware. For what they have to work with it's fine, I know the limitations, but imagine me playing Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k Ultra settings on my $2,500 PC and then going to Bayonetta 3 after not touching the switch in at least 6 months. It was just a very large transition.

I only play docked, I imagine the smaller screen can make things look sharper than stretching it out.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'd want a Switch Pro in the sense that whatever system they come out with next I'd want to be fully backwards compatible so I could play the games like SMT V, Xenoblade 2, Bayonetta 3, and Age of Calamity that run like crap on the current Switch. And probably Zelda Tears of the Kingdom too if we look back to how poorly Breath of the Wild ran on the Wii U. Hopefully soon because the platform is becoming very limiting offering mid 2000s level of console performance. Would be nice to see it able to do 1080p60 with FreeSync support.
We can't even get 1080p60 as a baseline for PS5 and XSX. I don't see how one can think that could happen in a handheld system right now. That is why all this 4k talk just makes me facepalm and lol at the same time.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
We can't even get 1080p60 as a baseline for PS5 and XSX. I don't see how one can think that could happen in a handheld system right now. That is why all this 4k talk just makes me facepalm and lol at the same time.

That can't be possible, can it? That has to be minimum capability for PS5, I would think.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
That can't be possible, can it? That has to be minimum capability for PS5, I would think.

He's talking about trash Gotham Knights and then Plague Tale Requiem that's so poorly coded that it pins one cpu core to 100% and then does nothing on every other core and which can only run 1080p 40-45 fps on an RX 6600 XT.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Meh that's like saying PC can't do 1080p60 without an RX 6800 XT or RTX 3070 since that's what you need to run Requiem at 1080p60 without upscaling.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
He's talking about trash Gotham Knights and then Plague Tale Requiem that's so poorly coded that it pins one cpu core to 100% and then does nothing on every other core and which can only run 1080p 40-45 fps on an RX 6600 XT.
Elden Ring can't even do 1080p @ 60fps. It's not just one game. Not even sure wtf that Plague game is either, never heard of it. Many of these current gen games can't do it. Pretty sure Cyberpunk was a joke framerate wise at launch too. I never played it but I just remember reading about it.

I'd much rather take Mario Odyssey running at 60 fps over some of these "better graphics games" on the PS5/XSX running at 30fps.

Meh that's like saying PC can't do 1080p60 without an RX 6800 XT or RTX 3070 since that's what you need to run Requiem at 1080p60 without upscaling.

Not sure wtf PC has to do with the discussion. I'm talking about consoles, where you can't plug and play video cards.

I don't know anything about video cards right now but I'm willing to bet that video card is bigger than the Switch. So again, thinking we'll ever see a 4k switch, when we can't get 1080p60 on PS5/XSX, is hilarious.

EDIT:

My point is, the way that Batman is 30fps, that is how every game this gen should be @ 60fps. It should be the norm and the fallback. It should be what devs can get "for free." But it's not - it takes more work than it should to run a game at 60fps in the current gen. The way they touted all the buzzwords "4K 120fps HDR!" with PS5 and XSX, that shouldn't be the case. And since we can't even get any of that as the standard on the big ass more powerful consoles, we sure as shit ain't getting it in any handheld console.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
It's partially Microsoft and Sony's fault too, for not enforcing a minimum 1080p 60fps target. Developers complained about slower CPU and less RAM and weaker GPU in the previous gen. They got wayyy better specs this gen and what did they do? Sloppy coding. Studios also don't care. They seem to be hiring anyone who can compile code error-free, regardless of the quality of their code or experience with game performance optimization.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Elden Ring can't even do 1080p @ 60fps.

From Soft is notorious for having bad performance in their games and they made the mistake of making their performance mode 1600p. LOL claiming it was 1080p. Though there is a 60 fps mode that renders at a pixel count of roughly 1272p [1600x1800 roughly the pixel count of 1272 x (16/9) 1272], namely playing the PS4 Pro version in BC.

It's not just one game. Not even sure wtf that Plague game is either, never heard of it.

Sure you never heard of Plague Tale. It and Gotham Knights are the whole reason people are up in arms right now complaining about the PS5 and Series X being weak hardware.

Many of these current gen games can't do it. Pretty sure Cyberpunk was a joke framerate wise at launch too. I never played it but I just remember reading about it.

The PS4 version of Cyberpunk running in BC mode on PS5 ran 60 fps with dips into the low 50s in the worst sections.

I'd much rather take Mario Odyssey running at 60 fps over some of these "better graphics games" on the PS5/XSX running at 30fps.

Go play through New Donk City again and tell me Mario Odyssey is 60 fps.

Not sure wtf PC has to do with the discussion. I'm talking about consoles, where you can't plug and play video cards.

Because Requiem is a terribly optimized game that a 1440p60 card like the RX 6600 XT can't run at anything better than 1080p45.

I don't know anything about video cards right now but I'm willing to bet that video card is bigger than the Switch. So again, thinking we'll ever see a 4k switch, when we can't get 1080p60 on PS5/XSX, is hilarious.

When did I ever say I wanted a 4k Switch? That would be moronic to target 4k with how Nintendo cheaps out on hardware all the time ever since the Wii.

My point is, the way that Batman is 30fps, that is how every game this gen should be @ 60fps. It should be the norm and the fallback. It should be what devs can get "for free." But it's not - it takes more work than it should to run a game at 60fps in the current gen. The way they touted all the buzzwords "4K 120fps HDR!" with PS5 and XSX, that shouldn't be the case. And since we can't even get any of that as the standard on the big ass more powerful consoles, we sure as shit ain't getting it in any handheld console.

My point is there will always be trash games like Gotham Knights and they're not how you judge a system's capabilities. LOL getting anything for free just because the hardware is powerful. That's not the way programming works.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
From Soft is notorious for having bad performance in their games and they made the mistake of making their performance mode 1600p. LOL claiming it was 1080p. Though there is a 60 fps mode that renders at a pixel count of roughly 1272p [1600x1800 roughly the pixel count of 1272 x (16/9) 1272], namely playing the PS4 Pro version in BC.

Sure you never heard of Plague Tale. It and Gotham Knights are the whole reason people are up in arms right now complaining about the PS5 and Series X being weak hardware.

The PS4 version of Cyberpunk running in BC mode on PS5 ran 60 fps with dips into the low 50s in the worst sections.

Go play through New Donk City again and tell me Mario Odyssey is 60 fps.

Because Requiem is a terribly optimized game that a 1440p60 card like the RX 6600 XT can't run at anything better than 1080p45.

When did I ever say I wanted a 4k Switch? That would be moronic to target 4k with how Nintendo cheaps out on hardware all the time ever since the Wii.

My point is there will always be trash games like Gotham Knights and they're not how you judge a system's capabilities. LOL getting anything for free just because the hardware is powerful. That's not the way programming works.

My max output is 1080p, so if the target is 1600p, I don't even care because my TV can't output that. It kind of goes back to what @igor_kavinski said in that the target SHOULD be 1080p60 but no one enforced it. It should be the "default" mode defacto with the current gen but it's not and we have "performance modes" that aren't even 60fps. It's a joke.

I don't know why you keep bringing up Gotham Knights and that Plague game. I've never played any of the recent batman games and didn't even know there were people complaining about it until your posts. Still have no clue what that Plague game is though.

The fact that to get close to 1080p60 on Cyberpunk on PS5, that you need to run a PS4 game, kind of sums it up in a nutshell. It's a joke. Just like to get Elden ring at a steady 60fps you had to run PS4 mode. I know performance mode wasn't constant 60fps on PS5 but the drops didn't bother me personally at all. Also my projector in Game Mode does some sort of smoothing, so I'm guessing that also helped.

Also not saying YOU wanted a 4k switch, but a lot of people do and there have been rumors of it since like a year after the OG Switch came out.

Also, have you ever made a game? I have. I've made a game with Unity as well as Cocos2D. And I program for a living. So I know a thing or two about programming. And when I said for "free" I put it in quotes for a reason.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
The fact that to get close to 1080p60 on Cyberpunk on PS5, that you need to run a PS4 game, kind of sums it up in a nutshell.

That's not true. There was no PS5 version at the time, I was showing how the game ran on PS5 at launch of the PS4 game since you were talking about the launch version.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That's not true. There was no PS5 version at the time, I was showing how the game ran on PS5 at launch of the PS4 game since you were talking about the launch version.
Ooooh okay that's right I forgot about that. Not my kinda game so I just read about the debacle at the time.

Now that Sony has sold over 25 million PS5's, maybe they will finally tell devs to stop supporting the PS4 so we can actually get some "next gen" games.

Anyways, this is getting quite a bit off topic from the Switch so my bad for derailing.

Speaking of the Switch's underpower though, I was interested in Tunic and wanted to get it on Switch but I did hear it has some performance issues. I wanted to get it for my flights coming up but will have to check out some videos of it to see if the performance is that bad. It's kind of surprising and sounds more like a dev issue though because that game does not look very demanding.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I didn't even mention that. I'm talking about the detail of the game and how for me, having not touched my switch in months was pretty jarring at first. That's it. I know what each hardware set is capable of, I explained that already.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
The main hope of a Switch Pro / 2 (at least for me) is to get an upgrade to the GPU which will allow the use of DLSS 2/3. This would allow a decent 4K output while rendering at 1080/1440.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The main hope of a Switch Pro / 2 (at least for me) is to get an upgrade to the GPU which will allow the use of DLSS 2/3. This would allow a decent 4K output while rendering at 1080/1440.
I don't even need 4k but I get what you are saying. Some of the textures on switch games are just super low resolution which is my biggest gripe. If they just kept it at 1080p but gave it a bump to say steamdeck level of performance or even just below, it would be much better. They could even have a low power mode for portable play and a full power mode when docked. I'm curious how long they will string the switch along before they decide it's time for a new console. Looking at the steamdeck and what it can achieve, even with it's lower battery life, and think we are just about to the point where it could make sense to do a new one. They can achieve better battery by lowering some settings and resolution to reduce power draw. Some people with steamdeck have achieved switch levels of battery life.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Sounds like reviewers are bashing the new Pokemon game pretty badly. Could probably solve the frame rate issues with a new console...

I don't even need 4k but I get what you are saying. Some of the textures on switch games are just super low resolution which is my biggest gripe. If they just kept it at 1080p but gave it a bump to say steamdeck level of performance or even just below, it would be much better.

Steam Deck performance seems reasonable but more than that seems unlikely, even for a console released in 2024.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Played Ghost Song for like 8 hours last week on my flights. It's a pretty damn awesome Metroidvania game, that actually reminds me a lot of a mixture of Metroid itself and Hollow Knight, both of which are fantastic series. I will say though the Switch version has some performance issues for sure, and it's only 30fps too which blows. I am not sure but would think on the other more powerful consoles it runs at 60fps without these issues.

That said, it's not so poor that it's not playable or anything. It's super playable but just has a few parts that have had hiccups in the 8 or so hours I've given it. Probably like 3-4 times has it stuttered a bit.

Reactions: dainthomas

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So Metroid Prime Remaster and Game Boy and GBA games on Nintendo Switch Online are the two biggest announcements. Then at the end when you're expecting a new announcement it was just a trailer for Tears of the Kingdom. So is Tears the swan song for the system?