Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 100 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
How would them getting my money hurt them more than if I just got it from the US shop and paid $20 netting the AR shop $0?

You realize this is NIntendo's eShop right? Like all the money goes back to Nintendo either way.
Because if enough people do it, then Argentina won't receive special pricing. Let's see you spend the equivalent of, say, $500 for an Indie game.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Did no one else watch this earlier? This place looks awesome. Glad to hear that they are going to be making Super Nintendo World in the USA too. No clue how long it will take to come about though.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Did no one else watch this earlier? This place looks awesome. Glad to hear that they are going to be making Super Nintendo World in the USA too. No clue how long it will take to come about though.

Universal studios here in Florida said they are going to make a Nintendo themed expansion to their parks. Maybe this is what they mean

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Because if enough people do it, then Argentina won't receive special pricing. Let's see you spend the equivalent of, say, $500 for an Indie game.
I sort of have an issue with this myself. The companies all want to benefit from globalization, but they don't want their customers to benefit from it as well. The whole idea of a true free/open market is that consumers then buy and sell at the same prices as driven by the global market, this includes for artificial scarcity items such as digital goods which have an almost infinite amount that can be produced (since me making a copy of it to use does not deprive you from using the copy you had that I used to make my copy). As such, prices of artificial scarcity goods should reflect the same price globally, since it doesn't cost money to physically ship the item to another location (and thus causing a difference in price of the good/service). But companies don't want that, they want to price gouge as much as they can in the various markets that they think can support paying more for the item than other markets.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I sort of have an issue with this myself. The companies all want to benefit from globalization, but they don't want their customers to benefit from it as well. The whole idea of a true free/open market is that consumers then buy and sell at the same prices as driven by the global market, this includes for artificial scarcity items such as digital goods which have an almost infinite amount that can be produced (since me making a copy of it to use does not deprive you from using the copy you had that I used to make my copy). As such, prices of artificial scarcity goods should reflect the same price globally, since it doesn't cost money to physically ship the item to another location (and thus causing a difference in price of the good/service). But companies don't want that, they want to price gouge as much as they can in the various markets that they think can support paying more for the item than other markets.
This argument is nonsense. Without regional pricing, you just wouldn't be able to get the game at all at affordable prices in poor regions.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This argument is nonsense. Without regional pricing, you just wouldn't be able to get the game at all at affordable prices in poor regions.
And from the same nonsense, what prevents someone from purchasing it at that price if it is being offered at that price? Why would someone choose to pay more than what it is being sold for, and why should someone be expected to pay more for it? What makes this special in that it should have different cost simply by crossing over an invisible line on the ground? If the item was a gold coin, would you expect it to change value if you bought it in one location verses purchasing it somewhere else? I mean seriously, if say this was a TV and it was the exact same TV as being sold all around the world, and someone could go to a certain country and buy that TV for a small fraction of the price as somewhere else, people would be doing that and exporting them elsewhere to sell and undercut the inflated prices elsewhere.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Anyone else excited for Super Mario 3D World? I've had it preordered since it was first announced and it's nearly here. My son is super excited to play it too and I've never played it on Wii-U as that is the only console I have skipped in the past 20+ years. My son watches videos of it on youtube and the game looks fantastic though. It will be nice that we can play it together too.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
And from the same nonsense, what prevents someone from purchasing it at that price if it is being offered at that price? Why would someone choose to pay more than what it is being sold for, and why should someone be expected to pay more for it? What makes this special in that it should have different cost simply by crossing over an invisible line on the ground? If the item was a gold coin, would you expect it to change value if you bought it in one location verses purchasing it somewhere else? I mean seriously, if say this was a TV and it was the exact same TV as being sold all around the world, and someone could go to a certain country and buy that TV for a small fraction of the price as somewhere else, people would be doing that and exporting them elsewhere to sell and undercut the inflated prices elsewhere.
All I hear is "wahhh wahhhh, why should I have to pay more, I don't care if someone else has to pay the equivalent of my paying $1000 for a game, wahhhhh". Pathetic and greedy.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Anyone else excited for Super Mario 3D World? I've had it preordered since it was first announced and it's nearly here. My son is super excited to play it too and I've never played it on Wii-U as that is the only console I have skipped in the past 20+ years. My son watches videos of it on youtube and the game looks fantastic though. It will be nice that we can play it together too.

Kind of interested to hear your thoughts on it when it comes out. The new Bowser's Fury stuff looks pretty impressive.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Kind of interested to hear your thoughts on it when it comes out. The new Bowser's Fury stuff looks pretty impressive.
My buddy who is the only person I know that had a Wii-U said it was a fantastic game and thought it didn't get the praise because it was on Wii-U. From the videos I've seen of it and my son watching it on YouTube I think it looks pretty fun. I'm curious about the Bowser's Fury thing too because at first I thought it was just a new world but from the little bit I've seen of it it is kind of a separate thing.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My buddy who is the only person I know that had a Wii-U said it was a fantastic game and thought it didn't get the praise because it was on Wii-U. From the videos I've seen of it and my son watching it on YouTube I think it looks pretty fun. I'm curious about the Bowser's Fury thing too because at first I thought it was just a new world but from the little bit I've seen of it it is kind of a separate thing.

Awkwardly, I had it for the Wii U -- and quite a few other games that have seen re-releases on the Switch -- but I never played it. I don't know what it was... but the Wii U was a good example of my problem of having interest in a console and its games, but never getting around to playing it. I've been a bit better with the Switch, but there are some games where I'm leaning toward setting up an emulator to play simple due to poor performance. I tried out the Hyrule Warriors 2 demo on the Switch, and whew... that does not run well. (Breath of the Wild is a good example of a game that runs well on the Switch, but just looks a lot better on PC with mods.)

Anyway, I'd like to get the Super Mario 3D World remake. It has co-op functionality, which is a bigger aspect for me at the moment.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Awkwardly, I had it for the Wii U -- and quite a few other games that have seen re-releases on the Switch -- but I never played it. I don't know what it was... but the Wii U was a good example of my problem of having interest in a console and its games, but never getting around to playing it. I've been a bit better with the Switch, but there are some games where I'm leaning toward setting up an emulator to play simple due to poor performance. I tried out the Hyrule Warriors 2 demo on the Switch, and whew... that does not run well. (Breath of the Wild is a good example of a game that runs well on the Switch, but just looks a lot better on PC with mods.)

Anyway, I'd like to get the Super Mario 3D World remake. It has co-op functionality, which is a bigger aspect for me at the moment.
Yeah 4 player couch co-op is a rarity now a days. I'm glad the Switch still does it for a lot of the Nintendo brand games.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So my son and I are already about 1/2 done with Mario 3D World. It's a fun game that is pretty simple and it's a fun couch co-op game. The co-op part though can be annoying and frustrating on some levels, where it gets in the way more than helps. The game isn't too difficult at all. Getting all 3 stars on most levels is pretty straight forward as is the stamp. Each world and level is pretty different. The game has great charm.

That said, something about it doesn't keep me sucked in. Like I don't have the urge to keep on playing the game like Mario Odyssey or anything. I kind of felt the same way about NSMB too, although NSMB grew on me a bit more so maybe this will too. It's still a really fun and polished game though and is a good Mario game.

Bowser's Fury is pretty neat too. It's basically like one world of that game but in a more Mario Odyssey gameplay style. It's fully 3D and uses the Mario 3D World mechanics and power ups. It's a completely separate game from 3D World and it's only 2 player. The 2nd player plays as Bowser Jr. and helps you do stuff. I had a good time playing it for like 90 minutes with my son and he was Bowser Jr. the whole time and he liked doing that while I was Mario. It does seem like it will get a little repetitive though because I think you just keep doing the same thing where big Bowser comes up, you either get a shine or face him with the giant bell, and once you beat him, you need to then wait until you have more shines to unlock the next giant bell to face him again. I am guessing it just keeps on doing that but can't say for sure.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
So my son and I are already about 1/2 done with Mario 3D World. It's a fun game that is pretty simple and it's a fun couch co-op game. The co-op part though can be annoying and frustrating on some levels, where it gets in the way more than helps. The game isn't too difficult at all. Getting all 3 stars on most levels is pretty straight forward as is the stamp. Each world and level is pretty different. The game has great charm.

That said, something about it doesn't keep me sucked in. Like I don't have the urge to keep on playing the game like Mario Odyssey or anything. I kind of felt the same way about NSMB too, although NSMB grew on me a bit more so maybe this will too. It's still a really fun and polished game though and is a good Mario game.

Bowser's Fury is pretty neat too. It's basically like one world of that game but in a more Mario Odyssey gameplay style. It's fully 3D and uses the Mario 3D World mechanics and power ups. It's a completely separate game from 3D World and it's only 2 player. The 2nd player plays as Bowser Jr. and helps you do stuff. I had a good time playing it for like 90 minutes with my son and he was Bowser Jr. the whole time and he liked doing that while I was Mario. It does seem like it will get a little repetitive though because I think you just keep doing the same thing where big Bowser comes up, you either get a shine or face him with the giant bell, and once you beat him, you need to then wait until you have more shines to unlock the next giant bell to face him again. I am guessing it just keeps on doing that but can't say for sure.

So Pro Controller or split joycons when playing on the bigscreen? For Odyssey the split joycons were a must because I thought it had really well implemented motion controls and the haptic feedback was tremendous too. But any reason to not just jump straight to the Pro Controller for this one? I have been meaning to get this game forever and now that it's on Switch and I still have two weeks until my PS5 comes in I might give it a try.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
So Pro Controller or split joycons when playing on the bigscreen? For Odyssey the split joycons were a must because I thought it had really well implemented motion controls and the haptic feedback was tremendous too. But any reason to not just jump straight to the Pro Controller for this one? I have been meaning to get this game forever and now that it's on Switch and I still have two weeks until my PS5 comes in I might give it a try.
I don't use anything but the pro controller for anything other than Mario Party because you need to use joycons for it.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I don't use anything but the pro controller for anything other than Mario Party because you need to use joycons for it.

Oh man you missed out if you didn't play Odyssey with split joycons. It's the one game I have played that made decent use of the HD rumble. I really hope PS5 games make much more use of haptics than Switch did with all the money Sony put into the DualSense. The way HD rumble got abandoned is the one thing that has really disappointed me about the Switch (console is pretty awesome otherwise).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Oh man you missed out if you didn't play Odyssey with split joycons. It's the one game I have played that made decent use of the HD rumble. I really hope PS5 games make much more use of haptics than Switch did with all the money Sony put into the DualSense. The way HD rumble got abandoned is the one thing that has really disappointed me about the Switch (console is pretty awesome otherwise).

I think Sony's method may prove more effective due to their main input method being a bit more "standard". The JoyCons aren't terribly fun to use if you have larger hands... especially not in split mode. Although, Sony will likely have to push the feature in their own games, or possibly sweeten the pot to have third parties devote resources to it for multi-platform games (like you see with Call of Duty getting the adaptive trigger functionality).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah the joycons will work but they aren't as comfortable as the pro controller. Given a choice I'd pick the pro controller over the joycons 10/10 times. Playing in handheld mode with them works for me but it's just not as comfortable as the pro controller would be. But on flights, I am not going to play with a pro controller.

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Yeah the joycons will work but they aren't as comfortable as the pro controller. Given a choice I'd pick the pro controller over the joycons 10/10 times. Playing in handheld mode with them works for me but it's just not as comfortable as the pro controller would be. But on flights, I am not going to play with a pro controller.

Well in the rare time between rolling blackouts today when I have actually had internet I managed to buy and download the game, thank god it's only like 3-4 GB. So I have been playing it all day whenever I lose power. Which has been five times so far, because the state of Texas' power grid can't handle 5 inches of snow and a day when most of the state is in the 20s in the day. Fully expect to lose power at least another ten times until tomorrow afternoon when we'll get back up into the 30s. Awesome game so far though, loved the first fight against Bowser in the base game.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well in the rare time between rolling blackouts today when I have actually had internet I managed to buy and download the game, thank god it's only like 3-4 GB. So I have been playing it all day whenever I lose power. Which has been five times so far, because the state of Texas' power grid can't handle 5 inches of snow and a day when most of the state is in the 20s in the day. Fully expect to lose power at least another ten times until tomorrow afternoon when we'll get back up into the 30s. Awesome game so far though, loved the first fight against Bowser in the base game.
Yeah it's a fun game. I plan on 100% it like most Mario games.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This is a little off-topic, but is it due to heat pumps? I’d imagine that they’re more popular in a state like Texas given that heat pumps work better when it gets cold... but not too cold, which sounds perfect for typical Texas weather. However, if people are using a heat pump in 10-20 degree weather, the efficiency isn’t going to be very good.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Bayo 3 is supposed to be a part of it and the r/Bayonetta folks are more than ready.

Honestly, after playing Astral Chain I want these Platinum titles on better hardware but I'll gladly take another Bayo however she shows up.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Oh, hey... SaGa Frontier on the Switch. I can't even recall why, but I enjoyed that game quite a bit on the PlayStation. (I still own it and the sequel.)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Whole buncha nothing in that direct that interested me. The only game I have interest in is Mario Golf.