Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It sounds like Nintendo did the least amount of work they could possibly do to get these ports in Super Mario 3D Allstars. It's super disappointing about the framerate being 30fps other than Galaxy and the camera controls in Mario 64 are also disappointing. It's to the point that I am debating even keeping my copy.

Yikes, that’s pretty disappointing

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Well I've never bought a collection like this before so it's highly disappointing.
But we already knew this was happening. That's why I said they were "putting the bare minimum effort into it" when you and I were arguing about buying remakes/remasters.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
One aspect that I've found refreshing is that indie titles can often venture into genres long since abandoned by large studios as being "not profitable", and sometimes, these smaller studios/developers can end up not only revitalizing a genre but also making some interesting changes. Most of the games that I have been playing lately are indie games, and sometimes, that's because I can just get right into the game and play. I have Ghost of Tsushima still sitting on my table unopened because I don't feel like getting into some long, story game right now. I bought Horizon Zero Dawn for PC, and I still haven't fired it up yet... mostly for the same reason.

I've actually been playing Rogue Legacy, Rogue Legacy 2, and Dead Cells recently. (I felt super embarrassed in the latter when the game's intro movement tutorial didn't mention sliding and I thought I was stuck without the "slide upgrade". :p)
Didn't realize another Rogue Legacy came out, I got a lot of enjoyment out of the first one, I'll have to put it on my list.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Grabbed this at BB this morning.

5C8WA0b.jpg

Going to keep it cause I know my son will like it regardless of me liking the camera controls or not. I'll give it a go as well though and see how it feels.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
It sounds like Nintendo did the least amount of work they could possibly do to get these ports in Super Mario 3D Allstars. It's super disappointing about the framerate being 30fps other than Galaxy and the camera controls in Mario 64 are also disappointing. It's to the point that I am debating even keeping my copy.

I don't know how people can like Mario 64 so much. The camera controls make it so weird trying to make jumps, played it today and hate it just as much as I did back in 1996. On the other hand, Galaxy with Dolphin level graphics and Wii-mote level of motion controls is glorious. Maybe I'll just play the fan-made Mario 64 on PC instead and see what that game could have been with decent camera control.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't know how people can like Mario 64 so much. The camera controls make it so weird trying to make jumps, played it today and hate it just as much as I did back in 1996. On the other hand, Galaxy with Dolphin level graphics and Wii-mote level of motion controls is glorious. Maybe I'll just play the fan-made Mario 64 on PC instead and see what that game could have been with decent camera control.
I just played Mario 64 for like 20 minutes and was pleasantly surprised that the camera did not bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. The right analog stick kind of turning into the 4 c buttons works alright for me.

I just wish the game was in 16:9 though because it feels cramped playing in 4:3.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I just played Mario 64 for like 20 minutes and was pleasantly surprised that the camera did not bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. The right analog stick kind of turning into the 4 c buttons works alright for me.

I just wish the game was in 16:9 though because it feels cramped playing in 4:3.

I thought it was ok playing the first stage with all the bombs a couple of hours ago. Then I remembered how much I hated the game when playing the stage with the sleeping piranha plants next when you had to make jumps with weird camera angles.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I thought it was ok playing the first stage with all the bombs a couple of hours ago. Then I remembered how much I hated the game when playing the stage with the sleeping piranha plants next when you had to make jumps with weird camera angles.
I'll see when I get there. It is odd how you try to move the camera sometimes and it just doesn't move. But generally speaking I thought when the camera moved on it's own it did a pretty smart job of it.

I also forgot that Lakitu is the "camera man" while you are playing and it's supposed to be him just video'ing you lol. That's a nice touch.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'll see when I get there. It is odd how you try to move the camera sometimes and it just doesn't move. But generally speaking I thought when the camera moved on it's own it did a pretty smart job of it.

I also forgot that Lakitu is the "camera man" while you are playing and it's supposed to be him just video'ing you lol. That's a nice touch.

I really want to like Mario 64 because the level design, the artwork, the music is all top notch. But I constantly feel like I'm fighting the camera when trying to make jumps, run across ledges and bridges, or find out where I can jump down to from where I'm at. The camera control just makes the game pure frustration and I think I'm going to abandon playing the 3D Allstars Version and play the DX12 port instead which has modern dual stick control.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You should be actively moving the camera around, not relying on the auto one. You shouldn't have to fight it.

Now it has been awhile since I played the original.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
You should be actively moving the camera around, not relying on the auto one. You shouldn't have to fight it.

Now it has been awhile since I played the original.

There isn't a lot of camera control, and when I do move it to where I want it changes the view pretty soon. To me there is nothing worse than bad control in games and that's the reason I pretty much hate that entire gen short of the 2D rpgs and the two Tony Hawk games.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
You can move it using Left C and Right C (at least in the OG). I would also suggest using the farther out mode (using Down C)

Now I see if I press R I can kind of zoom in and get a behind view now that makes some of the really frustrating jumps so far a lot easier. I thought C-stick (or right thumbstick on Switch) was the only way to control the camera.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I picked up the 3D All-Stars collection yesterday and popped it in for about half an hour before football started today. Wow, I do not remember SM64's camera being so awful. I feel like I am quite literally constantly fighting it.

Reactions: SteveGrabowski

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I picked up the 3D All-Stars collection yesterday and popped it in for about half an hour before football started today. Wow, I do not remember SM64's camera being so awful. I feel like I am quite literally constantly fighting it.

I just don't see how anyone ever liked this game. It's so hard to control. It's not even just the camera, although the camera is a ***** to constantly fight with. But the controls are so slippery. For example, in the underwater stage 3 I just raised the ship and now between the camera and the slippery controls I'm finding it impossible to make what looks like just a simple sequence of jumps up to the yellow block at the top that I assume has the star I'm looking for. It feels just like it did when I played it and gave up on it back on N64: annoying and frustrating.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I just don't see how anyone ever liked this game. It's so hard to control. It's not even just the camera, although the camera is a ***** to constantly fight with. But the controls are so slippery. For example, in the underwater stage 3 I just raised the ship and now between the camera and the slippery controls I'm finding it impossible to make what looks like just a simple sequence of jumps up to the yellow block at the top that I assume has the star I'm looking for. It feels just like it did when I played it and gave up on it back on N64: annoying and frustrating.

At the time of release it was one of if not the first 3D platformers. Frustrations like that were overlooked due to it being pretty revolutionary.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
At the time of release it was one of if not the first 3D platformers. Frustrations like that were overlooked due to it being pretty revolutionary.
It kind of reminds me if you try and go back and play old Resident Evil or Tomb Raider games with the tank controls. At the time it was just fine but now a days that stuff simply doesn't fly at all.

Even though, I don't have nearly as much trouble with Mario 64 on the collection as some of you seem to be. Yes it's not as smooth/graceful as having full control over the camera like is standard now, but it's far from unplayable or anything close to that.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It kind of reminds me if you try and go back and play old Resident Evil or Tomb Raider games with the tank controls. At the time it was just fine but now a days that stuff simply doesn't fly at all.

Even though, I don't have nearly as much trouble with Mario 64 on the collection as some of you seem to be. Yes it's not as smooth/graceful as having full control over the camera like is standard now, but it's far from unplayable or anything close to that.

Right. The original resident evil and tomb raider games came out when the PSX had only a d-pad. The dual shock controller was not released

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
1 year NSO for $14 and some change.

I just did it and it's legit. Got my code within like a minute of checking out and redeemed it so I'm good until 9/25/2021. I had a year with the Super Mario Maker 2 SE purchase last year and couldn't believe it had been a year already when it expired like 2 months ago.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I still have yet to see the Mario Kart Live go up for preorder anywhere aside from the Luigi set at Walmart. I got an email about it and could have ordered it but didn't because my son likes Mario. Then like 10 minutes later it was sold out on walmart.com and since then, nothing. That was like a week ago.

The thing comes out on Friday so maybe there aren't going to be preorders and just first come first serve.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The thing comes out on Friday so maybe there aren't going to be preorders and just first come first serve.

It seems like the item will just be released on Friday. Although, I'm tempted to just go to the store and try to pick one up. On that note, it does seem like a device that would be far more fun if you could play with someone else, so I'm tempted to pick up two. Although, I do wish that they'd have more racers than just Mario or Luigi, but I'm sure that having very little differentiation helps given the reduction in manufacturing that we've seen.

Do you have any idea on whether this thing is coming across as a "hot toy"? I don't know if I need to be extra vigilant in trying to pick one up, or if it will be surprisingly tepid like the Oculus Quest 2 launch has been. (You've been able to pre-order those easily, which is surprising given the original was sold out for ages.)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It seems like the item will just be released on Friday. Although, I'm tempted to just go to the store and try to pick one up. On that note, it does seem like a device that would be far more fun if you could play with someone else, so I'm tempted to pick up two. Although, I do wish that they'd have more racers than just Mario or Luigi, but I'm sure that having very little differentiation helps given the reduction in manufacturing that we've seen.

Do you have any idea on whether this thing is coming across as a "hot toy"? I don't know if I need to be extra vigilant in trying to pick one up, or if it will be surprisingly tepid like the Oculus Quest 2 launch has been. (You've been able to pre-order those easily, which is surprising given the original was sold out for ages.)
I'm not sure how popular it is. But the more I see of it the cooler it seems. Like there is a lot more to the game than I initially thought. It's something I'm sure is more of a novelty than not, but I know it's something my son will have a blast with, making his own tracks in his playroom.

I am going to wait till they release other cars before I buy another one, assuming they do. I only have 1 switch in my household anyways so having 2 would be pointless right now. It also is kinda crappy that you can't use 8 gates if you have 2 setups it's still only 4 gates. But I really don't know if that matters because of how you make the tracks. It looks like you can make a decent length track with 4 gates.

But my 5 year old son is obsessed with Mario right now and he's going to love that thing. He doesn't know about it so it's going to be a total surprise.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm not sure how popular it is. But the more I see of it the cooler it seems. Like there is a lot more to the game than I initially thought. It's something I'm sure is more of a novelty than not, but I know it's something my son will have a blast with, making his own tracks in his playroom.

Yeah, once I saw that you could make the track wherever you wanted so long as it goes between the four gates, I was pretty much sold. But then again... I've always had a bit of a love for RC stuff to some degree... so that probably wasn't a difficult sell. :p Although, speaking of track creation, has anyone said if there's a maximum distance between gates, or does it not really matter as long as you go through them all?

I am going to wait till they release other cars before I buy another one, assuming they do. I only have 1 switch in my household anyways so having 2 would be pointless right now. It also is kinda crappy that you can't use 8 gates if you have 2 setups it's still only 4 gates. But I really don't know if that matters because of how you make the tracks. It looks like you can make a decent length track with 4 gates.

Honestly, I just figured it would be far more enjoyable to plot out a course and race against someone else instead of just bots. While I believe only the host can plot courses, you can just hand off the Switch to let someone else make one. Although, I guess I need to see if I can find two first! :p

But my 5 year old son is obsessed with Mario right now and he's going to love that thing. He doesn't know about it so it's going to be a total surprise.

It'd be interesting to hear his response about "real world Mario Kart".

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Yeah, once I saw that you could make the track wherever you wanted so long as it goes between the four gates, I was pretty much sold. But then again... I've always had a bit of a love for RC stuff to some degree... so that probably wasn't a difficult sell. :p Although, speaking of track creation, has anyone said if there's a maximum distance between gates, or does it not really matter as long as you go through them all?

Honestly, I just figured it would be far more enjoyable to plot out a course and race against someone else instead of just bots. While I believe only the host can plot courses, you can just hand off the Switch to let someone else make one. Although, I guess I need to see if I can find two first! :p

It'd be interesting to hear his response about "real world Mario Kart".
I haven't heard anything about maximum distance between gates or anything. Honestly I think they are nothing more than cardboard so they are literally just like physical markers, although, there is something special about them because you can make they different types of gates. Maybe it's like a QR code or something on them.

Yeah you can take turns making them, but if you want to use both Luigi and Mario you need 2 Switches to play at the same time. That is what I was getting at.

I do plan on getting my son his own Switch for Xmas though but I doubt they have more characters out by then, if ever.