Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 97 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
One aspect that I've found refreshing is that indie titles can often venture into genres long since abandoned by large studios as being "not profitable", and sometimes, these smaller studios/developers can end up not only revitalizing a genre but also making some interesting changes. Most of the games that I have been playing lately are indie games, and sometimes, that's because I can just get right into the game and play. I have Ghost of Tsushima still sitting on my table unopened because I don't feel like getting into some long, story game right now. I bought Horizon Zero Dawn for PC, and I still haven't fired it up yet... mostly for the same reason.

I've actually been playing Rogue Legacy, Rogue Legacy 2, and Dead Cells recently. (I felt super embarrassed in the latter when the game's intro movement tutorial didn't mention sliding and I thought I was stuck without the "slide upgrade". :p)

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
One aspect that I've found refreshing is that indie titles can often venture into genres long since abandoned by large studios as being "not profitable", and sometimes, these smaller studios/developers can end up not only revitalizing a genre but also making some interesting changes. Most of the games that I have been playing lately are indie games, and sometimes, that's because I can just get right into the game and play. I have Ghost of Tsushima still sitting on my table unopened because I don't feel like getting into some long, story game right now. I bought Horizon Zero Dawn for PC, and I still haven't fired it up yet... mostly for the same reason.

I've actually been playing Rogue Legacy, Rogue Legacy 2, and Dead Cells recently. (I felt super embarrassed in the latter when the game's intro movement tutorial didn't mention sliding and I thought I was stuck without the "slide upgrade". :p)
Dead Cells can be addicting. Just warning you!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Dead Cells can be addicting. Just warning you!

It's kind of interesting to play it at the same time as Rogue Legacy as they're very similar games. There were two things about Dead Cells that stood out to me when compared to Rogue Legacy. I liked that monsters could be staggered in Dead Cells. It usually meant that combat could be fast as -- so long as you could kill the monster within a few seconds -- it wouldn't have a chance to hit you. That speed ties in with the other factor with that being the bonus for completing a section quickly enough. It sort of pushed this narrative that the game may come across as a Metroidvania, but it isn't really so much about exploration. Although, in regard to time, thankfully, it isn't as punishing as Risk of Rain 2 is with its timer that continues across zones, which increases difficulty after certain durations.

Although, I do find myself making one mistake often in Dead Cells... I'm just too aggressive. I'm the type that tries to kill all the monsters they see rather than just bypassing them.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yeah I get that.

With having less time to game now a days I actually welcome some of the shorter titles too. I like how a lot of the indie games are like 6-8 hours but cost like $15 or $20.

Quite a few of the games I bought on Switch I would purchase before I went on vacation too and I'd play them on my flights to/from wherever I went, and usually I'd have some of the game left to play at home and finish them up.

Yeah I know you said you use it traveling a lot. I totally understand that usage. It sure beats a phone game lol

I actually just picked up the street fighter anniversary collection for the switch for $20 and a couple brook adapters for my arcade sticks. That along with some of the SNK fighters available on the Nintendo eShop will be pretty fun. Better than messing with emulators on pc

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Finally the Direct we have all been waiting for. Can't wait to play Galaxy on September 18th. God some the other products like that Game and Watch and Mario Kart look pretty awesome too.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Came here to mention that myself.

I preordered Super Mario 3D All Stars and 3D World at Best Buy. My son is going to go crazy when I surprise him with 3D Allstars in 2 weeks.

And yes, that Mario Kart AR thing looks pretty damn neat.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm sorry but I can't get excited about them releasing games I've already played or already own as if they are doing me a favor.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Came here to mention that myself.

I preordered Super Mario 3D All Stars and 3D World at Best Buy. My son is going to go crazy when I surprise him with 3D Allstars in 2 weeks.

And yes, that Mario Kart AR thing looks pretty damn neat.
You constantly complain about companies putting out remakes and remasters instead of new games, and Nintendo does it in one of the lowest efforts possible and you preorder? Hypocritical much?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You constantly complain about companies putting out remakes and remasters instead of new games, and Nintendo does it in one of the lowest efforts possible and you preorder? Hypocritical much?
Guess you missed the part where I said my son is going to go crazy when I surprise him with it in 2 weeks.

He's 5 and wasn't around when Mario 64 was out in 1996.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Guess you missed the part where I said my son is going to go crazy when I surprise him with it in 2 weeks.

He's 5 and wasn't around when Mario 64 was out in 1996.

And? That doesn't make a difference to anything I said. Plenty of people get remasters because they never played the original. Any time I buy them, it is precisely because I never played the original. That has never stopped you from complaining about them before. And now Nintendo is doing it, putting the bare minimum effort into it, keeping it to a limited release for God knows what reason, and you seem to be perfectly fine with it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
And? That doesn't make a difference to anything I said. Plenty of people get remasters because they never played the original. Any time I buy them, it is precisely because I never played the original. That has never stopped you from complaining about them before. And now Nintendo is doing it, putting the bare minimum effort into it, keeping it to a limited release for God knows what reason, and you seem to be perfectly fine with it.
Yes

There is also a huge difference between 20 year old games being put out remastered or whatever, versus games that came out a couple years ago on previous gen.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Yes

There is also a huge difference between 20 year old games being put out remastered or whatever, versus games that came out a couple years ago on previous gen.
Regarding the end of your statement: fair. If that's been your main point of contention in the past, then I didn't pick up on that. I've always associated you with "Boo remasters bad".

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Regarding the end of your statement: fair. If that's been your main point of contention in the past, then I didn't pick up on that. I've always associated you with "Boo remasters bad".
No I have been more about like how TLOU Remastered came out on PS4 and it was an end of life cycle game on PS3. Granted I realize that probably did not require much work, but give me something else from ND over that any day. Same with the whole Uncharted Trilogy.

Like the new Tony Hawk release that came out seems kind of cool and they completely redid it and even made fundamental changes to it. Those games are 20 years old.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Generally I'm also not a big fan of remasters but I'll buy them sometimes if I'm curious on what they did. This past generation has had a lot of them. In the case of last of us, it made sense because it was a super popular title and it's not like you could experience it on PS4 because it wasn't backwards compatible.

On a side note I do prefer remasters that are more so "redone" because it gives it a breath of fresh air. The mafia 1 remaster is looking pretty good right now for example.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
but give me something else from ND over that any day.
Ditto. Honestly, I never looked into it but I had assumed they would just hire a different company to do the remaster. Looking into it, though, it does seem like ND did the remaster (albeit a significantly smaller team).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Generally I'm also not a big fan of remasters but I'll buy them sometimes if I'm curious on what they did. This past generation has had a lot of them. In the case of last of us, it made sense because it was a super popular title and it's not like you could experience it on PS4 because it wasn't backwards compatible.

On a side note I do prefer remasters that are more so "redone" because it gives it a breath of fresh air. The mafia 1 remaster is looking pretty good right now for example.
Resident Evil 2 remake was pretty damn awesome too. It was like a completely different game. The free roam camera alone made it play completely different without tank controls.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Resident Evil 2 remake was pretty damn awesome too. It was like a completely different game. The free roam camera alone made it play completely different without tank controls.
I got a lot of hours on resident evil 2 remake. That was a great remake. I did also buy 3 but have not gone through it. Mafia 1 had a great story so I'm curious to see what they did with that game when it comes out later this month.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'm sorry but I can't get excited about them releasing games I've already played or already own as if they are doing me a favor.

I can see that, but I haven't played through any of the three so I'm excited about it. Especially Galaxy which I played a few hours of on Wii but decided to wait for a Switch port seeing how great the game looked on Dolphin at 1080p (but it didn't control well on Dolphin for me).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I can see that, but I haven't played through any of the three so I'm excited about it. Especially Galaxy which I played a few hours of on Wii but decided to wait for a Switch port seeing how great the game looked on Dolphin at 1080p (but it didn't control well on Dolphin for me).

Yeah I know that side of the argument. Never having played them. I am however, seeing a lot of lifelong Nintendo fans who own these games going crazy over ports. It makes me a little sad because of the message it sends to developers. “Release your old titles on new hardware and do minimal work. No new story or character ideas necessary. People will buy it up”.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Has anyone played the bravely default 2 demo? I haven’t had the chance to do so yet and I realize it’s been out a while but I wondered what people thought of it. I played the original bravely default and loved it. Never played bravely second so I cannot comment on that title. I did hear that the demo is pretty brutal in its difficulty.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It sounds like Nintendo did the least amount of work they could possibly do to get these ports in Super Mario 3D Allstars. It's super disappointing about the framerate being 30fps other than Galaxy and the camera controls in Mario 64 are also disappointing. It's to the point that I am debating even keeping my copy.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It sounds like Nintendo did the least amount of work they could possibly do to get these ports in Super Mario 3D Allstars. It's super disappointing about the framerate being 30fps other than Galaxy and the camera controls in Mario 64 are also disappointing. It's to the point that I am debating even keeping my copy.

That is Nintendo. Thay have always done that.