Goodbye NX, hello Switch

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I like how Nintendo hasn't even said if the switch is 720p or 1080p when connected to the TV yet here we have all these armchair console design engineers in here.

The rumors are the screen on the switch is 720p. Games will be designed for that screen. It's already pretty much confirmed that the dock won't do any processing.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Do you even read the thread or just cherry pick posts to reply to argue against. Sure it's not official from Nintendo, but people in the industry who have worked with the console are all saying it's 720p.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-27-nintendo-switch-has-a-6-2-multi-touch-screen
Funny how that article just talks about the screen and doesn't even mention how the console functions when it's docked. At this point everything all you haters are spouting is rumors and hearsay.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Funny how that article just talks about the screen and doesn't even mention how the console functions when it's docked. At this point everything all you haters are spouting is rumors and hearsay.
I already posted about this earlier in the thread that it doesn't do anything other than charge and output to the TV.

So now we have confirmation that it is not going to be a powerful console at all. The dock does not add any extra power or cooling or storage to the system, it is just a charging stand/TV output stand. We are obviously not getting even close to comparable graphics to PS4/Xbox One. <br /><br />
The core concept of Nintendo's upcoming Switch console is that it's a portable device with games that you can also play on your TV at home by way of a dock. But don't expect the docking unit to provide more storage or performance capability to the tablet — Nintendo has confirmed that it's primarily a way to get the tablet-style portable's games onto the bigger screen.<br /><br />"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch," a representative tells IGN. "The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."<br />
<br /><br />http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/21/13356760/nintendo-switch-dock-functionality-tv-output-power

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
But that still wouldn't rule out it running at higher clocks while docked because (unfortunately) I think the Switch has a fan.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
But that still wouldn't rule out it running at higher clocks while docked because (unfortunately) I think the Switch has a fan.
I'm sure it would be but it still wouldn't be close to PS4/Xbox One power because the chip even if it's an upgraded Tegra just can't match it because they unfortunately went with the mobile chip.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I'm sure it would be but it still wouldn't be close to PS4/Xbox One power because the chip even if it's an upgraded Tegra just can't match it because they unfortunately went with the mobile chip.

As I've mentioned before, considering what nVidia's been willing to put into laptops something that could draw 30-40 W would be possible considering how thick the tablet looked. Hell, the XBone S as it is only draws 50 W during gaming. Nintendo's not going to pay for such a die though.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I already posted about this earlier in the thread that it doesn't do anything other than charge and output to the TV.

So now we have confirmation that it is not going to be a powerful console at all. The dock does not add any extra power or cooling or storage to the system, it is just a charging stand/TV output stand. We are obviously not getting even close to comparable graphics to PS4/Xbox One. <br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/21/13356760/nintendo-switch-dock-functionality-tv-output-power

Right and this matters when you put a device out there that will be looked upon as a competitor to other consoles, whether Nintendo or fans like it or not. Unless Nintendo markets it as a mobile device and doesn't say much about the dock, it will be viewed as a competitor to both the PS4 and XB1. That can't be helped. If Nintendo is going to keep the 3DS going then this will be in a tough spot I think. It will be better than the 3DS but won't have the library and wouldn't have the same capabilities as the XB1 or PS4. It also means that what we envisioned for franchises like Zelda or Mario on a more powerful console will be scaled down a bit to fit within the capabilities of the system. For gamers who keep up with the latest information from the industry the screen being 720p and proposed specs so far isn't that impressive. First impressions are always important, it's what got Sony so much momentum over the XB1 initially.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
The least they could do is have the cpu clocked higher when plugged in and drawing power out of an outlet. The U would have been better had they not crippled its wattage draw.

MarkizSchnitzel

Nov 10, 2013
The least they could do is have the cpu clocked higher when plugged in and drawing power out of an outlet. The U would have been better had they not crippled its wattage draw.

I don't think wattage was the biggest problem of the U.. Slow rollout of first party titles was the bigger problem.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't think wattage was the biggest problem of the U.. Slow rollout of first party titles was the bigger problem.

Oh yes and of course no true 3D Mario, no Zelda game (yet? at all?), a poor showing from Star Fox, of course no Metroid. A lot of hot franchises just didn't make it to the WiiU. If they had it would have had more potential. Of course there wasn't much 3rd party support for it but if they had something to pump up sales, maybe...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
At that price I'd get one if that Mario game is at launch and is a true sequel to Mario 64.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Wow $250? I was not considering this at all, but at that price I might give it a whirl. I'm a big Zelda fan and things like Super Smash, Mario & Kart are also fun games... but that's about all I'd get it for. At $250 I'd at least consider it if one of these was a solid release title.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
$250 seems fine, but after being burned on too many lackluster launches, I may wait to see what the immediate launch looks like. More importantly, I may also wait to see what's scheduled for the few months afterward. No sense in buying one for Mario if it doesn't come out for six months or more!

Although, it's probably worth noting that pricing it below their competitors is probably not a harkening back to the Console Wars era tactics of Sega vs. Nintendo. It's pretty much a decent indicator of what we expected: this console is most likely not as powerful as its competitors. (We pretty much already knew this, but some people were holding on for dear life. :p)

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Is this 4K resolution? Did they actually confirm it's 1080p I call bullshit all the ds and 3ds are 240p YouTube quality -_-

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
Wow seriously wtf? I'm not sold at all...
It's 2017 and still no 1080p? Wow I stick to my 240p 3DS then.

It'll be interesting to see how that actually plays out. 720p on a 6-inch tablet? I really won't mind it much, if at all. That can massively save battery life and make it a truly portable gaming device. If it outputs at 720p on the TV when docked, that's a legitimate problem. If it at least upscales to 1080p, I won't be too bothered, if at all.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Nintendo Shipped Over Ten Million Copies Of Pokémon Sun and Moon

People are saying that Nintendo will only have to focus on the new Switch when it releases and stop supporting the 3DS. I've said that the 3DS install based is huge and still prints money for Nintendo and they will not abandon it when the switch releases. Pokémon shows how huge the 3DS still is. There is no way in hell Nintendo is ditching the 3DS any time soon so they will still have to support the 3DS along with the Switch. One is a portable console, one is the a semi-portable console.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
I haven't seen people say that they will only have to focus on the Switch. Instead, I've seen it said they can finally unify the home and mobile software (which I've wanted and think will happen as well). That might mean dual-development for some time, or 3DS emulation, hard to say 4 months from release and 2 from real, legitimate information. Pokémon isn't showing how huge the 3DS is, it's showing how huge Pokémon is. It's the same reason Ingress was barely mentioned in the mainstream, yet Pokémon Go was (and still sort of is) a mobile juggernaut.

Take a look at some other games coming on the 3DS. Are people making a huge deal about them? Not really, in the cases of the 3DS versions of Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World. Heck, maybe those two are examples of Nintendo's attempt at unification going forward.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I think with two portable systems it is inevitable that eventually they drop the 3ds. It does not have to be immediately. Use the ps2 for example, the last game came out in 2013. We were already on PS4 by that time. So they can stretch it out and don't need to drop it immediately.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I can fit a 3ds in my pocket. Can't do that with Switch.

Might not seem like much of a difference but it might be with consumers that are fickle.