Goodbye barcodes, hello microchips.

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
No more hunting for the barcode on a box and running it over the scanner 20 times. Hooray.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
everyone and everything being easily tracked boooooo

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Not only that imagine this.
A criminial is looking for someone to rob. He stands on the street with a scanner scanning everyone's rfid tagged money that walks by. He finds someone with a lot of money and goes and robs them.

I can't even begin to think of all the scary aspects of this. Kiss your privacy goodbye if this isn't regulated.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
So that's why that black heliocoper is allways folowing me.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Evadman
So that's why that black heliocoper is allways folowing me.

i thought it was following aphex

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
RFID is gonna be huge. One of my buddies in law school is reading up on it in anticipation of all the legal implications of its implementation and use at ports (he's going into maritime law).

schdaddy

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2000
Whenever this becomes mainstream I'm going to invest in a RFID scanner to remove the chips after purchase.
Normally I'm not the paranoid type but this could get crazy.

Oct 9, 1999
OMG.. this is so stupid on an enviormental aspect.

Barcodes are peices of paper with stripes, microchips are not only cost more to make, but it uses a lot more resources to produce it,.. this is a STUPID idea.

They are going to clutter teh landfills if it comes out cheap enough to put it on little johnny's cereal box.

I know theya re useful in certain things but there are limits. And what about privacy issues?

thraxes

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by: The_good_guy
OMG.. this is so stupid on an enviormental aspect.

Barcodes are peices of paper with stripes, microchips are not only cost more to make, but it uses a lot more resources to produce it,.. this is a STUPID idea.

They are going to clutter teh landfills if it comes out cheap enough to put it on little johnny's cereal box.

I know theya re useful in certain things but there are limits. And what about privacy issues?

My thoughts exactly... it does not cost anything extra to print a barcode on a package, but to embed a chip means having to invest in new packaging machines atc and the whole infrastructure itself.

The possibilities of such a chip system though are very interesting but the execution of the idea is wastes valuable ressources best employed elsewhere.