Good things to eat or drink when you have a sore throat?

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
What do you like to eat and drink when the throat is sore? I normally steer clear of sugary or acidic foods and drinks. Mine hurts so bad I'm about to make a run to the store, does anyone have any recommendations and or remedies?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'd recommend Throat Coat tea, by Traditional Medicinals. It's usually available at Safeway and other grocery stores - the tea contains Althea root and slippery elm bark, a combination that I've always found works great.

Rob

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Entity
I'd recommend Throat Coat tea, by Traditional Medicinals. It's usually available at Safeway and other grocery stores - the tea contains Althea root and slippery elm bark, a combination that I've always found works great.

Rob

Elm bark, huh? You only live once I guess. Is this found in the medicine or tea section of the grocery store, normally?

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
Originally posted by: Entity

Rob

Elm bark, huh? You only live once I guess. Is this found in the medicine or tea section of the grocery store, normally?
Depends on the store - I'd check both. Either way, you should be able to find it. If you can't, then just go for some standard tea with honey.

Rob

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That's a very good recomendation.. slippery elm bark is very good.

Not really something that you eat, but if you get some Ricola Echinecea cough drops, that will help a lot too.

liquid yogurt? What other kind of yogurt is there? I wouldn't want to see solid yogurt. :Q

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Eli
That's a very good recomendation.. slippery elm bark is very good. Not really something that you eat, but if you get some Ricola Echinecea cough drops, that will help a lot too. liquid yogurt? What other kind of yogurt is there? I wouldn't want to see solid yogurt. :Q

Goose ;)

Stonyfield drinkable yogurt
Ever try to pick up a Dannon container and drink it like milk?

Good thing about it too is that it hasnt fruit suspended in chunks, which would be harder to down

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Soup (Chicken is good, but, pea soup or some lentil would be my preference... they sell these in a brown bag in the soup aisle at most stores. You just boil water and it in, and then at the end, a little olive oil, and it's very good).

If it's a meal time, I also like to throw in some tortellini's. By the digorno or other refridgerated brand, put in some chicken broth and boil for the same amount of time as it says to cook 'em nromally. Add in some carrots and celery if you are feeling up to it. MMmmm.

Keep the liquids coming and going though. Hope you feel better soon!:)

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
I also usually get the antibacterial mouthwash and gargle with it every hour or so, helps a lot.... try to force down as much water as possible and get more sleep... that will help out a lot....

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
I'd said orange juice... it doesn't feel good when going down... but a dose of Vitimin C is good for sore throat....

whiteboyatcal

Jul 1, 2002
the BEST thing ever for a sore throat/cold/flu is this Chinese tea that my g/f makes for me. The only thing is I don't know where to get it or what is in it, and for that matter, I don't even remember what the Chinese word for it is....but yeah it's freaking incredible stuff.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Forgot to add before, instant oatmeal is good. Easy to make too.

Also, I like spicy foods too. Seems to help sometimes (but not always).

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: The Dancing Peacock
herbal tea with a little bit of honey. The honey helps with the sore throat. I like lemon or orange herbal tea the best.

I've found actual lemon to be more effective, since the natural vitamin content actually helps with the cure as well as the symptoms. Quarter a lemon, take a slice and steep it in hot water, adding maybe a half-tablespoon of honey.

If you're just looking for relief from the symptoms, this is the single most effective syrup I have found. It can be found in most Asian groceries.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Wow Dman, that sounds great! I think I'm going to go for that for lunch. I also picked up the Elmbark tea; it's off to the kitchen!

L

Lola

This may sound gross...but warm up some ginger ale. It is very good!
what about downing a spoonful of honey? It helps to coat your throat...

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Gargle some very salty water, helps loosen stuff up.

Also, a great remedy is to take 1/4 cup of honey and mix in 3 tbsp of cayenne pepper. The honey cools the pepper and coats it to your throat. The cayenne helps deal with whatever it is that is making you sick.

And I'll put another vote in for throat coat.

Packy

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
It isn't to eat or drink, but the Cepacol (sp?) throat spray numbs it right up... makes eating stuff much easier. :)

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I've gotta say get about 4 or 5 boxes of popsicles... man nothing beats a sore throat (or a hangover for that matter) like constantly eating popsicles. Plus, you're keeping fluids going in.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Man, I should thank you guys. That throat coat tea works wonders! Tastes good, too. I also cooked up some chicken broth with fresh chopped celery and corrots, and added some of those cheese tortellinis and a dash of salt and pepper. Also most excellent. Now if I could just get rid of the fever and the muscle aches and the stuffiness & on & on & on....

:(

Greyd

Platinum Member
Dec 4, 2001
From personal experience and that of my friends, i must highly recommend Tylenol Flu. for some reason, this thing does wonders. If you can, get the Cold and Flu combo, otherwise just get the Flu version. Worked well for me. It was recommended by a friends wife who is a pharmicist.