good sound card for vista 64 ?

drednox

Mar 24, 2003
are there any ?

my built in sounds horrible and my soundblaster x-fi is causing too much drama when using microphone via head set, tried like 5 headsets to boot now as well, same crap.

i have a turtle beach riviera but that doesnt have vista support and wont work on my system at all.

are there any actually good soundcards out there that already have good drivers for vista 64 ?

thanks.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I'm using a Chaintech AV-710 with no problems on Vista 64. ZipZoomFly has it for $26. This is a nice little sound card that has a single amazing output (Wolfson DAC and Envy24HT chipset... I think... the good one, anyway). It's great for stereo and/or headphone listening.

If you're looking for 5.1/7.1, try the M-Audio Revolution. ZZF has these for $55 after rebate.

Both are excellent cards with the same chipset; which one you get would probably depend on what your needs are. The thing is... I don't think there's official 64bit support, but I didn't see any recent problems on Google and I'm running the Chaintech (with Via's drivers) just fine. The Revolution should be able to make use of the same drivers, as well.

drednox

Mar 24, 2003
neither the Chaintech AV-710 or the M-Audio manufacturer sites appear to offer vista 64 drivers. i dont see them anywhere. hence they may or may not work and most likely only work on some configurations.

i am looking for a sound card, other then creative or ac97, that actually has official manufacturers vista 64 support.

the asus xonar is a bit too pricey. i like nice crisp sound but i use headset. 7.1 surround and all those unnecessary sound effects etc are useless to me. i need a rock solid microphone performance so i can use VOIP. that article also put a dent in it, if i spend $200 on something that might not work i will not be a happy camper.

so what else is out there ?

boglwe

Aug 16, 2007
for vista64, nothing. your going to have to buy a SB then and deal with all the things that will NOT work on it.