Good site for buying camping equipment online?

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
I went camping for 4 days with Boy Scouts and my leader forgot to bring his tent (so 7 people didn't have tents to sleep in), but a nice fellow let us borrow his tent. He said he bought it for $30 online and I forgot to ask him where he got it from.

Anyone know where is a good online store that sells camping equipment? I've been to rei.com but all those things are expensive (+$150)

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Heh. Boy Scouts need a tent in the summer? Shoot. When did that start? For about 30-40 of my 100+ days camping as a scout I slept under a tarp. Saved weight when backpacking, and was much cooler that way in the summer. I wouldn't reccomend doing that in Maine though. Tried it for one night when I was up there doing the high adventure thing and was bitten to death by the state bug, the mosquito. Slept in the tiny pup tent the rest of the time.

REI stuff is expensive, but it is very high quality. North Face is also good stuff.

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
Well, we camped +5000 feet above sea level, night temperatures reached 30*F outside. Tarp sleeping looks cool, but its still cold, we're camping again in November, expecting it to be even colder this time.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Well, if you do lots of cold weather stuff, then you want quality. Consider it an investment. Cheap tents are usually heavy, which you do not want when backpacking. They will often times leak, not good in the rain.

Look around, you can probably find cheap Coleman tents at some places locally. Or check out http://shopping.yahoo.com/Sports_and_Outdoors/Outdoors/Camping_and_Hiking/Tents/ which lists a bunch of retailers.

I cracked a couple tent poles from those el-cheapo tents one COLD WINDY night. The tent still stood up, but it was a pain putting the poles together after that.

warlord

Golden Member
Oct 25, 1999
if you are caomping in those kinds of conditions, you are probably going to have to pay good money for a quality tent, so your boys don't end up cold.

I've bought from here before, they have slightly discounted prices.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com

when I was in scouts, we always slept in eureka's, that was until a couple of friends and I found an old canvas T-bar tent in our store room... I can't beleive we luged that thing anywhere. :D

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Ahhh yes. Campmor. I remember ordering stuff from their catalog about 6 years ago. Good people.