Good salsa?

Slickone

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 1999
I've gotten spoiled on the salsa the local mexican 'restaurant' gives for their chips (spoiled on their chips too), and now the store bought Tostitos, Pace, Taco Bell, Ortega, et al. taste like sh1t. Too sweet for one thing. And I noticed the main ingredient is 'tomato paste'. So where else can I get salsa like this (even mail order)? Not sure if the mexi restaurant will sell it in bulk. Do they make their own?

desteffy

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2004
around here they have "garden fresh" salsa, i think thats about the best.

There are a lot of other kinds too, you will find such salsas refrigerated, probably in the produce section or deli areas.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Make your own. This isn't the time of year for fresh tomatoes but when available, I buy them from the local fruit stand. WAY better than store bought.

falias

Golden Member
May 13, 2001
Never buy salsa that doesn't have to be refridgerated. Stay away from the chip aisle salsa. Fresh is where it's at.

Blastomyces

Banned
Mar 23, 2004
Homemade>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anything else

My quick recipe calls for tomatoes(whatevers on sale, either roma or vine ripened), white onion, garlic, and a jalapeno pepper. Mix in a mini-chopper, add some salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and youre done. Way better than any goo you can get at the store.

KingNothing

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2002
Many times restaurants will sell their salsa, so you can try that.

Alternatively, go find a mexican grocery store and buy salsa there.

imported_brad

Jan 6, 2005
the chips you can buy...tostitos gold are pretty close.

as for the salsa, you're gonna have to follow some recipes.