Good RTS with good city building aspect

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Civilization 4 is a good game. So is Age of empires series.

And if you don't care for the fighting. Simcity 4 is awesome too.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Imperium Romanum seemed interesting to me so I got the demo.

I'm normally one to defend the PC cause I can show that games work just as good as on a console (and damn those 360s, those things freeze a lot and people just expect it during regular use), cept I start the demo only to have it try for a while and see the Imperium Romanum task in the taskbar then quit 5 seconds later without ever leaving the desktop. Crap.

No obvious error in the options.ini (launching at 1280x1024x32@60 Hz). Unfortunately not a whole lot I can do, since the demo is not very popular, whereas with released games there is other users with the problem which usually means workaround or solution.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Caesar II was mentioned, but not 3 and 4?

I've not played them, I'm just wondering if they strayed far from the original game or something? They good good but not great reviews.

Kind of interested in this myself. I used to like Tropico, The Settlers, etc a lot.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Caesar 2 had more combat, I think..I don't know. C3 was good, but the trouble is these damned city building developers...they don't realize that combat is the spice of the game (or should be anyway...you know....empire building) and they ALWAYS fricking minimize it in someway. So damned annoying. I just want a frickin city builder with above elementary school rts combat.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: TehMac
You're in the same predicament as I am mate, and truth be told, no such thing exists. The closest thing I can advise is the Total War series, because, while Base building isn't involved, you are able to construct buildings, but more in a civ like format, you can't zoom in and place buildings. I'd recommend Rome Total War most for this because Rome TW lets you zoom in on your cities, and while you can't build anything, you can check the city out, but there's no real customization.

City builders treat combat with very little respect, which is such a damned shame. I'm waiting for the day when they do, but right now, Zeus, which is a...5 year old game, but with decent graphics, lets you send armies a broad and conquer cities, but doesn't actually let you command the troops when they're away conquering.

The only thing I can truly recommend with some assurance is Rome Total War. :(

I know, I'm waiting for it too man, I'm waiting for it too.

Aye, I am like both of you as well. No game seems to really take city building + combat seriously at the same time. Doesn't Medieval Total War II have the same features (and more) as Rome Total War? Whatever, they were both fantastic games.

Obviously Civ 4 doesn't meet the "good combat" requirement.

Rise of Nations has decent combat but no city building at all

Warhammer 40k Dark Crusade's campaign has epic combat and *some* city building... it's a campaign across a planet, and bases you build in territories you've conquered persist. If you get attacked in a territory you own, all of your previous structures will remain (if you build an enormous base that will allow you to quickly wipe out opposition, it becomes nearly impossible to lose any territory). This isn't really the kind of city building we're talking about, though.

I don't know of any others

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah, Zeus was kinda cool...but again, same as any other city building game: three unit types and combat relegated to the ocasional commodity. HELLOOOOOOO mr. game developers, warfare was a huge element to any of these city building empires, please wake the fuck up and give me some real empire building, and not JUST managing roads and granaries.

Originally posted by: EeezeeAye, I am like both of you as well. No game seems to really take city building + combat seriously at the same time. Doesn't Medieval Total War II have the same features (and more) as Rome Total War? Whatever, they were both fantastic games.

No, if anything it was less so, because Medieval 2 didn't even let you zoom in on the cities in peace time. Rome Total War allowed it, but Med2 didn't.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: TehMac
Originally posted by: CPAugh, Stronghold 2 was an abomination. Horrid, just horrid.

Really? I remember reading PC Gamer's review which said it was better. Stronghold 1: 82% Stronghold 2: 84%
Originally posted by: Czar
Age of empires... they had walls and towers, enough for me :)

Best poast in the ATPCG Forums evar.

Crusader is the best of the 'stronghold' series.
Its why they are releasing a crusader:extreme version.
http://www.fireflyworlds.com/shce_index.php

If you want to try a sim without heavy combat Tropico is awesome, although somewhat hard.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah I saw that Crusader Extreme, looks cool, but that engine is old, I'd wish they do a rehaul or something.

Randskey

Golden Member
Feb 17, 2001
Another vote for Stronghold: Crusader - you'll definitely get your fix of city building and combat. Worth all the a_s-burning time spent battling and building through the levels.