Good Piano Songs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: calpha
When I played....I always played from memory. Mostly that came from my high school wind ensemble----we played pretty tough stuff for high schoolers, and by the time we went to competitions I always just watched the conductor 100% of the time b/c I had all the music memorized. That's the only gift I ever had for music---I never had to try to learn something---I just did. But as far as hearing something without the music and playing it in a matter of minutes----I could never do that. I could pound it out.....but nothing near what the bastards with perfect pitch could do.

The hardest stuff I ever played was probably the real piano music of billy and Elton (not just the melody----but the actual piano piece). Funeral For a friend was the hardest thing I learned.....but my chops are gone and I can't play the hard part anymore.
The first thing I think of when someone says piano is Elton John and the whole Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album.

newt

Feb 1, 2003
When I played....I always played from memory. Mostly that came from my high school wind ensemble----we played pretty tough stuff for high schoolers, and by the time we went to competitions I always just watched the conductor 100% of the time b/c I had all the music memorized. That's the only gift I ever had for music---I never had to try to learn something---I just did. But as far as hearing something without the music and playing it in a matter of minutes----I could never do that. I could pound it out.....but nothing near what the bastards with perfect pitch could do.

The hardest stuff I ever played was probably the real piano music of billy and Elton (not just the melody----but the actual piano piece). Funeral For a friend was the hardest thing I learned.....but my chops are gone and I can't play the hard part anymore.
I started taking piano lessons while i was 3 years old up to 12th grade. I had perfect pitch ( and i still do, guess that's about the only thing you don't need to practice in music) and I could play everything from memory (which I cant do nearly as well now). I didn't like practicing at all and I always started practicing 2 hours before the lessons. I was going to give up while i was 10 years old but the instructor didn't let me. She believed i had talent. But I think I played poorly compared to lots of other hard working students because piano is something you really need to sit down and play no matter how talented you are. Finally I gave up taking lessons after high school, and my excuse was that I needed to focus on my real career. Now my career path looks pretty good at this point, however, there's always this deep sadness in me whenever i see someone playing piano. I wish I had tried harder instead of wasting my talent. 14 years of music training left a deep sense of music in me, and I could still play decently. But I always wonder what would have happened if I took it more seriously.......Maybe I should start taking lessons again.....

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: jcwagers
Bruce Hornsby - Mandolin Rain, The Way It Is, The Valley Road
Bruce can play----I think he went to Juliard ?
Bruce is awesome. Check out Big Swing Face for a different twist to his music.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
The King must die - Elton John (from the Elton John album)

Skyline Pigeon - Elton John (from the empty sky album - done on harpsichord)

Fur Elise (Beethoven)

Glad (Traffic - accoustic piano version by Steve Winwood)

toccata and fugue in D by Bach (on Piano, not organ)

HTH my opinion anyway.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
See also:
The following John Tesh albums--
Live At Red Rocks
Avalon
Grand Passion <--almost entirely piano

People love to bash John Tesh, but he actually is a decent pianist and a very good songwriter.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Also
Torre D'Alchemista - La persistencia de memoria
or something like that (The persistence of memory in Italian).

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Morning Has Broken
Primary Performer: Cat Stevens
Written By: Cat Stevens, Eleanor Farjeon

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
Trust me on this, ok? Cuz I bought this Sheet Music, I learned it, and loved it:

November Rain-Guns 'N Roses

KeyserSoze

fonzinator

Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: dolph
some of my favs:

fantasie impromptu - chopin
"revolutionary" etude (c# minor) - chopin
1st movement of "pathetique" sonata
3rd movement of "moonlight" sonata - beethoven
rhapsody, g minor - brahms
prelude c# minor - rachmaninoff

and yep, i played them all.

sorry for not having opus/#s.
<----Shakes the hand of a man with fine musical taste!
Rachmaninoff's Prelude C# Minor Opus 3, No. 2 was my fav piece to play. Truly an awesome composition.

Bolomite: Franz Liszt - Liebestraum no. 3 ... Totally awesome song but the hardest piece I ever attempted. I never did perfect it, the speed was beyond my ability. I gave up piano shortly after that piece and picked up the guitar. Now I'm 100% guitar. I wish I had time for both instruments, but I don't. I am very thankful for the years I spent playing classical piano though! These two pieces bring back good memories of lots of hard work. :)

AstIsis

Jan 18, 2003
Liszt, Chopin, and Rachmaninov are among my favorites but you might want to check out Alberto Ginastera also. Particularly Piano Sonota No. 1 & 2, and also "Tribute to Roberto Garcia Morillo".

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Anything by Yanni or even John Tesh. Also there's a female player that has concerts all the time but I can't think of her name. I'll edit this later if I can remember.

calpha

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2001
Lots of talented piano players in this forum. And you are all bastards. Just never had the chops for the hard stuff. Fingers too dumb and too slow.

ASK THE COMMUNITY