Good news: Dumplings from China are not contaminated with lead

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Chinese dumplings contain insecticide

January 30, 2008 09:09pm

TEN people have fallen ill in Japan with a girl in a serious condition after eating dumplings from China that contained insecticide, police said today, warning they could press criminal charges.
The scare was breaking news shortly before dinner time in Japan, with national television broadcasting a live press conference in which distributor JT Foods said it was recalling the dumplings.

"We pray for the early recovery of those whose health was affected,'' Mutsuo Iwai, an executive at cigarette giant Japan Tobacco, of which JT Foods is a subsidiary, said.

"We sincerely apologise for the trouble.''

Ten people, including a mother and her four children, fell ill in Chiba prefecture near Tokyo and western Hyogo prefecture after eating "gyoza'' dumplings, local police said.

At least five of them were still in hospital after suffering vomiting, stomach aches or diarrhoea. A five-year-old girl was reported to be in a serious condition.

Chinese-made products, ranging from seafood to car tyres and toys, were at the centre of a series of global safety scandals and recalls last year.

Japan is heavily reliant on food imports and counts China as its second largest supplier after the United States.

But a number of Japanese companies have also come under fire in recent months over food safety, mostly false labelling of expired products, in cases that had no link to China.

The gyoza, which historically originated in China but is one of Japan's most popular foods, is a steamed dumpling, generally with ground meat inside.

JT Foods said an insecticide called methamidophos was found in the dumplings.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0...4341-23109,00.html?Gee

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Who the fsck would import food from China?

:Q

That's scary.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
eh...just another salvo in the eternal China and Japan hate each other match.

this was probably a "mistake" ;)

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli

That's scary.

The U.S. imports food from China.

shrimp, fruit bits, spices, to name a few.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

That's scary.

I actually have a big ass bag of rice and some dumplings that I'm pretty sure came from china..

warmodder

Nov 1, 2007
I like how they apologize for the trouble as if eating insecticide is as bothersome as a telemarketer.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
buy American! bahhaha

Whats sad is sometimes you don't even know the ingredients are coming from China. peanuts in your snickers bar? thats probably from China.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

That's scary.

dude, there is ALOT now,
my parents couple weeks ago, bought some "treetop" apple juice and the tiny print said "concentrate from china" or something.

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
I think I had some of these when I was in China recently. They were delicious.

I love how everyone in America is so "aware" of the "dangers" now. Like the buy American campaign is ever going to work. It's our good ol' American companies that give the Chinese sweatshop 50 cents to make a dollar item. Welcome to capitalism friends. Now quit complaining cause you know you aren't going to stop buying stuff. *sarcasm*

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
gyo... something brand... umm, gy = graveyard... I can remember that... ok, I'll be right back after checking my freezer.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: AnthroAndStargate
I think I had some of these when I was in China recently. They were delicious.

I love how everyone in America is so "aware" of the "dangers" now. Like the buy American campaign is ever going to work. It's our good ol' American companies that give the Chinese sweatshop 50 cents to make a dollar item. Welcome to capitalism friends. Now quit complaining cause you know you aren't going to stop buying stuff. *sarcasm*

be careful you don't fall off that high horse.