Good linear video editing program for Linux and sound

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I've been researching and seems there's quite a few out there, I tried a few but so far none of them are very decent. Tried Lives, was a joke, and Cinerella, was ok, but it randomly shut off, so it shows that's not very stable. What would you recommend?

Also what is available as far as sound goes? Programs like Sound Forge, fruity loops etc

Dinodoc

Dec 20, 2009
Not sure the difference between Linear and Non-Linear digital video editing, so I will just name a few programs I tend to use, or know about. I have used Kino in the past when i was capping to dv files, currently spend most of my time doing basic editing in Avidemux.

Theres also kdenlive, pitivi and gnonlin (which both seem to use gstreamer as a backend), and openmovieeditor - these are just the ones i can find in synaptic for ubuntu, haven't tried any of them though so not sure how good they are.

As for audio editing, the only software I really know of and have used is Audacity, mostly for basic chopping and merging of audio files. I believe it does a lot more than that, thats really been my only need in the audio editing area.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Good to know audacity works in Linux, I've used it a bit before, so I'll be fairly familiar with it. Really with that app alone alot can be done. Programs like fruity loops just make it easier to do what a program like audacity can do. Just need something like sound forge for reverbs and stuff, unless audacity can do that stuff now. Been a while since I've used it. I don't do any heavy music making or anything but it's always fun to play with apps like that to make my own tracks for when I edit video.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I imagine Audacity could do a reverb. I think you could just copy a track to another track, offset it in time, change the volume, and mix them.

The only native Linux video editing program I use regularly is DVBCut (for converting video from an ATSC capture card to MPEG2). Honestly, for video editing, there are many better programs in Windows than in Linux. Current versions of Wine (1.1.2x+) do a much better job of running them than what came with my Ubuntu 9.04 install.

Generally, when doing more than just cutting video, I use AviSynth and either VirtualDub or HCEnc, all under Wine. For most MPEG2 cutting, I use MPG2CUT2, also under Wine.

Salud!
wine.gif
;)