Good Kitchen Knife set...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Get a good chefs knife
Get a good pairing knife
Get a cheap bread knife
Get a decent carving knife

That's all you really need, unless you're into filleting your own meats. Buying a 7+ item set is not money well spent. Victorinox offers good value for money, so does Henckel.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
A lot of people recommend Victorinox, and I have one but I don't like it at all. It constantly needs sharpening. Compared to my VG-10 chef's knife it's actually horrible with regard to edge retention although the handle is nice.

Tojiro is one of the least expensive VG-10 knife lines you can get. Once sharpened properly it will retain the edge much longer than softer steels.

You should also learn to sharpen. I recommend The Edge Pro with Shapton glass stones. It's very easy for a beginner to learn to sharpen with that since it guides your angle for you. You can get an Edge Pro knock off for $30 if budget is an issue and it's no different than the real thing as long as you get the better Shapton glass stones for the edge pro.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I've got a set of Zwilling 4 stars and love them. Four years of ownership without anything more than honing them and they're as sharp as the day I bought them.

The blades I use the most are the 9" chef, the paring knife, and 6" utility. I rarely use my Santoku blades in favor of the chef. I bought a cheap larger bread knife but also rarely use that. My long slender knife (can't remember what it's called, but basically a non-serrated carving knife) I also rarely use.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I did a bit of research when I was looking at upgrading and this is what I decided I wanted:

Chef's knife / paring combo:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHN6T40

Bread knife:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LVIO3O

Weird. I was just on Amazon looking at Tojiro knives before I came into this forum. I think I'm going to get their 8.2" Gyutou chef's knife. Looking at the cost of that combo, it makes that little pairing knife awfully expensive.

I enjoy quality knives, but honestly can't imagine spending more than $15 for a bread knife.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Weird. I was just on Amazon looking at Tojiro knives before I came into this forum. I think I'm going to get their 8.2" Gyutou chef's knife. Looking at the cost of that combo, it makes that little pairing knife awfully expensive.

I enjoy quality knives, but honestly can't imagine spending more than $15 for a bread knife.

I LIKE the Tojiro DP line. GOOD quality, decent price. I don't have a problem with $50+ for the bread knife. It's a commonly used knife in our kitchen.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I have Chicago Cutlery. Bought 3 knives and a sharpener in a discount store 25 years ago. Bought a separate wood block to hold them. Added a set of 6 Chicago steak knifes that came with a wood block. Later I added a non-Chicago bread knife. I don't know what the quality of these knives by Chicago are today, but the ones I bought back in the day have held up and are easy to sharpen.

Still have an old set of those plus some odd ones have inherited over time.

They are OK, but really rarely use them.

Bought a Ceramic Chefs knife not long ago I like for many things, Just buying a few decent knives is better for most things like many have mentioned. Most people do not need more than 3 or 4 decent ones. It clutters up the drawer, should get rid of a few myself.

Might sound a bit dingy, but inherited a knife like this from my grandmother long ago, and probably use it more without the guide than anything to be honest.

Heil, J/K :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxV4mhVsV5o

Kinda wish I did have the guide, I think she just didn't use it and probably got tossed. I does just look like a QVC thing, but was surprised the first couple times I used it and still do a lot. It cuts amazingly well for what it is.

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
How much are you willing to spend? Here is good deal on a set that is a good as any you can buy at any price:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Classic-15-Piece-Cutlery/dp/B005LRYSOQ/ref=sr_1_1

Only really need 4:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-4-Piece-Knife-Fibrox-Handles/dp/B004IEBTZ4

I have a big set of Wustof Classics, but I saw that Costco had Tramontina Proline knives for cheap. I actually liked the idea of white handles, so I bought the santoku and chef knives sets. I like them better than the Wustofs. Handles are bigger and there is just something comforting about not caring too much about the knives. I went back and bought the utility and pairing sets, then bought another complete set of everything. And all in it was probably cheaper than one of my Wustof chef knives.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Still have a set of Tramontina steak knives that are similar to the Outback ones as far as looks, they have held up remarkably well for decades.

I still even just grab one of those for veggies or some things half the time.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Still have a set of Tramontina steak knives that are similar to the Outback ones as far as looks, they have held up remarkably well for decades.

I am used to Tramontina kitchenware, they are pretty big in South America.

I have like twenty of those Porterhouse steaknives. Some still in box.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Only really need 4:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-4-Piece-Knife-Fibrox-Handles/dp/B004IEBTZ4

I have a big set of Wustof Classics, but I saw that Costco had Tramontina Proline knives for cheap. I actually liked the idea of white handles, so I bought the santoku and chef knives sets. I like them better than the Wustofs. Handles are bigger and there is just something comforting about not caring too much about the knives. I went back and bought the utility and pairing sets, then bought another complete set of everything. And all in it was probably cheaper than one of my Wustof chef knives.

I pretty much had this set for a few years and it was great.

I have the Wushtof Classic set now.. but that was wedding gift. Wish the steak knife set wasn't so damn much.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

The combo was $70 or $80 a couple of months ago, but at $50 for an 8", I'd be shopping for the paring knife separately. :)

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I am used to Tramontina kitchenware, they are pretty big in South America.

I have like twenty of those Porterhouse steaknives. Some still in box.

Yeah, they are the Porterhouse ones it looks. These must be an older model, I seem to recall having that wood block long ago that got pitched and the blades are marked similar to these. Pretty decent cheap knives at any rate.

k176685.001

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah, they are the Porterhouse ones it looks. These must be an older model, I seem to recall having that wood block long ago that got pitched and the blades are marked similar to these. Pretty decent cheap knives at any rate.

k176685.001

Mine are 8 pack in drawer tray. Plus I bought a whole bunch of them in a flea market for like five bux a pop.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
don't get a whole set. get the few knives you will use the most. like an 8" chef's knife, a shorter santoku, and a nice utility knife.

oh and go japanese over german, they are superior steel.

www.korin.com

and take good care of them. thank me later. everyone i have converted to japanese steel has.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I picked up this set of Henkels for $250 off Craigslist. Still need a cleaver but I got pretty much everything else!

v7mXOcy.jpg

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Tramontina makes an excellent enameled cast iron dutch oven that you can pick up cheap at Wal-Mart.

Nov 29, 2006
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro3pcset.html

You're welcome. Don't forget to get knife guards to protect the edges...or find a small knife block to fit.

the only other knife you NEED is a good serrated bread knife like this:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpbrkn21.html (oos at this time, but there are others as good or better)

Im kinda digging that top set you linked. You guys really like your knives :) But this one might be a winner so far. Still checking out the rest.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Im kinda digging that top set you linked. You guys really like your knives :) But this one might be a winner so far. Still checking out the rest.

I bought that set for a good friend's birthday two years ago. He absolutely LOVES them. He keeps them in the "gift box" they came in...and NO ONE ELSE is allowed to use them.
They have HAD a set of Henckels International from Costco. They gave them to one of their adult children for their kitchen. HOWEVER...they kept their Cutco steak knives. :rolleyes:

theblackbox

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2004
Dig around in thrift stores for old Chicago cutlery back when they were US made with the real walnut. They clean up, sharpen and refinish and will last forever. I have older caphalon Damascus and the Damascus is starting to chip and flake. Also, old gerber if you can find it in good shape. Stay away from cutco, cheap steel.