good god... Laphroaig 10 is damn near undrinkable

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
yuck! the medicine flavor is unbearable. I will need 2 black label to wash it down and then use it as a mixer.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
You think that's bad, try some kaoliang. Think of sake and everclear mixed and you have kaoliang. Mmm... Taiwanese liquor.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Define medicine flavor. If we're talking organic Triaminic, that stuff kicks ass. ;)

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Farang
You think that's bad, try some kaoliang. Think of sake and everclear mixed and you have kaoliang. Mmm... Taiwanese liquor.

being chinese, I have never drank any chinese hard liquor straightup :)

Originally posted by: mugs
Define medicine flavor. If we're talking organic Triaminic, that stuff kicks ass. ;)

I don't know how to describe it... but according to Wikipedia description, it is peat flavored.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: andylawcc

I don't know how to describe it... but according to Wikipedia description, it is peat flavored.

No, it tastes like @$%!ing smoke. Not peaty at ALL.

*checks wikipedia*

That says it's peaty smelling, but tastes like "bottled smoke." I don't even know where they get the "peaty smelling" from, cause it doesn't smell like any peat I know, heheh.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Coquito
I like Lapsang tea. Mind if I have the rest of the bottle? I'll pay shipping. :)

I can't imagine myself finishing the bottle. Right now I am mixing it with 4-5 parts of Sparkling Apple Cider that I have in my fridge for ages. It doesn't drown out the peat/smoke flavor, but at least its drinkable.

seriously, I can ship it, I don't mind (i have all the packing material at work and possiblity a Fedex discount through our corporate rate. Fedex Ground will probably take 6 days and cost 10 bucks.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
I like Lapsang tea. Mind if I have the rest of the bottle? I'll pay shipping. :)

I can't imagine myself finishing the bottle. Right now I am mixing it with 4-5 parts of Sparkling Apple Cider that I have in my fridge for ages. It doesn't drown out the peat/smoke flavor, but at least its drinkable.

seriously, I can ship it, I don't mind (i have all the packing material at work and possiblity a Fedex discount through our corporate rate. Fedex Ground will probably take 6 days and cost 10 bucks.

You'll have to excuse me if I don't jump at the chance to buy an open bottle of rank-tasting scotch from someone I don't know who lives thousands of miles away :D

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Prism
You'll have to excuse me if I don't jump at the chance to buy an open bottle of rank-tasting scotch from someone I don't know who lives thousands of miles away :D

dude, this is the internet, sh1t happens.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Prism

dude, this is the internet, sh1t happens.

good point :p

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: LordMaul

No, it tastes like @$%!ing smoke. Not peaty at ALL.

*checks wikipedia*

That says it's peaty smelling, but tastes like "bottled smoke." I don't even know where they get the "peaty smelling" from, cause it doesn't smell like any peat I know, heheh.

Like you would know a fscking peat if it slapped you in your manboob.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
Personally, I love Laphroaig.

so you like all the Islay's offering?

I don't know, the first time I drank IPA I absolutely hated it, and then it grew on me and became an "acquired taste" (which means: my snob level went above the drink's requirement)

darthsidious

Jul 13, 2005
I had scotch for the first time recently, and posted a thread about it. I had the Glenlivet 12, and the Lagavulin 16 yo. While the Glenlivet was decent, the Lagavulin just blew me away... it was smoky but great. I honestly expected to hate Single mast scotch the first time I tried it, but I really liked it.

And yes, I disliked my first IPA, but very quickly fell in love with it. On the other hand, I had an istant love affiar with Lambics from the time the first drop hit my mouth, and they are supposed to be an "acquired taste" for most.

Point being, an acquired taste for one person may be an instant hit for another person.

I don't know, the first time I drank IPA I absolutely hated it, and then it grew on me and became an "acquired taste" (which means: my snob level went above the drink's requirement)

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Funny timing, Laphroaig 10 is on sale here, first time I've EVER seen single malt on sale locally.

McClelland's is the only Islay I've ever tried. Very good IMO for half the price of Laphroaig and 1/4 the price of Lagavulin. It's definitely an acquired taste. I suggest giving it some more time, being sure you don't think about other flavors that it reminds you of. Don't put words in its mouth- let it speak to you. Drink a little bit every day, cut with 1 part water to 3 parts scotch. I hate ice in scotch, and so should you, or you're bad.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003

Hey now, if this thread is floating towards beer, then I can seriously make a deal. Though, I would make you track down some AleSmith, Lost Abbey, Pizza Port, & just about anything unavailable over here. :)

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Hey now, if this thread is floating towards beer, then I can seriously make a deal. Though, I would make you track down some AleSmith, Lost Abbey, Pizza Port, & just about anything unavailable over here. :)

awww... you have no AleSmith or PizzaPort. you poor thing :)

well, you guys got Yeungling.

(doesn't Bevmo ship to East Coast?)