Good gaming headphones for ~$200 or less?

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
Would love some help here as I have bought 4 headsets in the last 4 years or so.

1. Razer Baracudda - I liked it a lot, but stopped working after about 18 months.

2. Logitech Wireless G35 which I had to give away they sucked so bad. Lots of problems like the headset turning off when I was using it wired, wired sounds, etc. Horrible support from Logitech so I got rid of them

3. Then I got a steelseries siberia which I thought was OK but it died on me around year two.

4. Today I bought myself the Logitech G430 against my better judgement after my hate for the G35. Took it home, and this sucks as well. I dont want to use USB as then I cant use my speakers and headset together, and when I connect it via the 3.5m connector its so scratchy and bad sound quality.

So I am looking for a good headset that will last more than a couple years, that is ANALOG (dont want USB as I need speakers and headphones playing the same audio at the same time). Can anyone give me some advice as I am not really an audiophil and dont know to choose.

What I am looking at right now is the Sennheiser PC 350 SE and the Razer Tiamat. Both are right around $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Spe.../dp/B008O510Y8

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
I'd say if you're set on analog and therefore for the most part inferior virtual surround (unless you're using an Astro or Creative processor / soundcard) just get a headphone and a stick-on mic like the Antlion.

ATH-M50 + modmic will come in just under $200.

IMO the PC 350 is a waste of time. Can't speak for the Tiamat.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
Why do you think the PC 350 is a waste? I am not sure that I want two cables coming off my headset by using the Antlion. The ATH-M50 look nice but without the mic they arent that appealing to me.

Could you recommend any with a built in mic?

radtechtips

Feb 12, 2013
I'd say if you're set on analog and therefore for the most part inferior virtual surround (unless you're using an Astro or Creative processor / soundcard) just get a headphone and a stick-on mic like the Antlion.

ATH-M50 + modmic will come in just under $200.

IMO the PC 350 is a waste of time. Can't speak for the Tiamat.

This but get a desk mic

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
Why do you think the PC 350 is a waste?

Anaemic sound, below-par resolution, mic barely above the level of ~$80 headsets to add insult to injury.

I am not sure that I want two cables coming off my headset by using the Antlion. The ATH-M50 look nice but without the mic they arent that appealing to me.

Could you recommend any with a built in mic?

OK, Beyerdynamic MMX 300 - It's my backup gaming headset. Single-cabled.

You're then probably going to complain that's too much, right? :rolleyes:

This but get a desk mic

Unless we're talking something like an Electro-Voice RE20 on an anglepoise stand, a desk mic is an even bigger waste of time.

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
I recommend increasing your budget and get beyerdynamic dt880s and a mod mic.

answ3r

Jun 10, 2011
I recommend increasing your budget and get beyerdynamic dt880s and a mod mic.

The Dt880s are fantastic, but unless you're doing some music composition then they really aren't worth the price increase over the ATH-M50s (at least in terms of gaming). I love my 880s, but the only time I use them is recording. Both have their benefits, but I find the M50s much more neutral and the tight fit doesn't allow for a lot of sound pollution. Just my thoughts on the matter.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
So I am looking for a good headset that will last more than a couple years, that is ANALOG (dont want USB as I need speakers and headphones playing the same audio at the same time).

Just a question, but why would you want you headphones and your speakers playing audio at the same time?

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
Just a question, but why would you want you headphones and your speakers playing audio at the same time?

I have a couple kids who love youtube, and viewing youtube on my pc. So usually I am using headphones, then need to change to speakers. This will happen at least 10 times a day in which plugging/unplugging can get REALLY annoying. This way when kids want to listen I just press the button to unmute my bose speakers and its finished.

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
The Dt880s are fantastic, but unless you're doing some music composition then they really aren't worth the price increase over the ATH-M50s (at least in terms of gaming). I love my 880s, but the only time I use them is recording. Both have their benefits, but I find the M50s much more neutral and the tight fit doesn't allow for a lot of sound pollution. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I think they are worth the investment considering the modmic detaches and can be used to play all sorts of music.

Buy a pair and be done with upgrading longterm :)

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
PC360

the best sounding headset that exists

Actually you are incorrect... HD650's or BeyerDynamic 880's with a $30 mod mic would be a better headset and can be used for a lifetime for music going through a dac and amp.

PC360 Are based off the HD595s which can be found for $100 these days. So you are paying over an extra $100 for a microphone that isn't at the quality level of a mod mic is.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
PC360

the best sounding headset that exists
Another vote for the PC360. I have been extremely satisfied with them both with respect to audio quality and mic quality.

Not that Venomous is wrong, mind you. But if you just want to buy something that works, the PC360 is a very good option.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
If you want the USB version of the PC360 with dolby prologic support, go for the PC 363d. Same headset with a detachable USB module.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Actually you are incorrect... HD650's or BeyerDynamic 880's with a $30 mod mic would be a better headset and can be used for a lifetime for music going through a dac and amp.

PC360 Are based off the HD595s which can be found for $100 these days. So you are paying over an extra $100 for a microphone that isn't at the quality level of a mod mic is.

I said the best sounding headset.

Of course it won't be comparable to a pair of HD650s.

But the OP doesn't seem to care for the option you've mentioned.

You're talking to a guy with HD598s and the zalman clip-on.

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
Probably because he doesn't have enough experience to know the best route to stretch his dollar. Stating the PC360 is the best sounding headset on the market is a matter of opinion.

HeadFi is a great resource to read...

indy2878

Apr 9, 2013
Would love some help here as I have bought 4 headsets in the last 4 years or so.

1. Razer Baracudda - I liked it a lot, but stopped working after about 18 months.

2. Logitech Wireless G35 which I had to give away they sucked so bad. Lots of problems like the headset turning off when I was using it wired, wired sounds, etc. Horrible support from Logitech so I got rid of them

3. Then I got a steelseries siberia which I thought was OK but it died on me around year two.

4. Today I bought myself the Logitech G430 against my better judgement after my hate for the G35. Took it home, and this sucks as well. I dont want to use USB as then I cant use my speakers and headset together, and when I connect it via the 3.5m connector its so scratchy and bad sound quality.

So I am looking for a good headset that will last more than a couple years, that is ANALOG (dont want USB as I need speakers and headphones playing the same audio at the same time). Can anyone give me some advice as I am not really an audiophil and dont know to choose.

What I am looking at right now is the Sennheiser PC 350 SE and the Razer Tiamat. Both are right around $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Spe.../dp/B008O510Y8

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio

My suggestion. Go to Best Buy or some tech store, purchase whatever headset you're interested in AND purchase a 2 year warranty for the headset. Best buy I think offers a 2 year warranty for $8.00 or something. Headsets come and go. They also tend to vary in frequencies used so they tend to break easily especially if used a ton. Just remember to keep the box, manual, and the headset accessories that come along with it and the receipt of course and you can just get a new pair every time it breaks. I'm not sure about buying warranty online though. I've never purchased
warranty from online. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
at the quality level of a mod mic is.

Are you srs.

Modmic is junk, it just happens to be fairly convenient junk. The Zalman might actually contain a better mic (and that's still pretty junky), though the fitting makes it crap to use.

Pretty much any $100-class headset I've had has a better mic - by component or by design - than the modmic. You use these because you either don't want to pay for a decent headset in the vein of e.g. the MMX 300 because you listen to Head-Fi nonsense or you want to use a better headphone but can't afford a decent mic at the same time. It's not an advantage - it's a compromise.

Last edited:

Venomous

Golden Member
Oct 18, 1999
Are you srs.

Modmic is junk, it just happens to be fairly convenient junk. The Zalman might actually contain a better mic (and that's still pretty junky), though the fitting makes it crap to use.

Pretty much any $100-class headset I've had has a better mic - by component or by design - than the modmic. You use these because you either don't want to pay for a decent headset in the vein of e.g. the MMX 300 because you listen to Head-Fi nonsense or you want to use a better headphone but can't afford a decent mic at the same time. It's not an advantage - it's a compromise.

I do a lot of vocal recording on my box (it's built for both digital and analog track mixing and recording) and the modmic 3.0 microphone has very good clarity and oomph. I'd be more than happy to record a 15 sec demo for you to show that these mics are up to snuff.

These mics included on gaming headsets are less quality, such as those included with Astro A40s...modmic 3.0 supersedes them in quality, clarity and frequency response.