Good game console to play remote with friend

not_taken

Jun 12, 2018
Hi there. Recently I moved half way across the country and would like something to do with my buddy back home. I was thinking it would be fun to buy the same game consoles and games and play them against each other. I don't really want to go on a big gaming server or anything and would prefer to connect directly, but if we have to, I would like to be able to go into a game with just him and maybe one other person.

What game console has the best games for a small group of two or three people to play remotely together? I'm thinking of first person shooters or driving games. Also, it is critical to be able to have a voice conversation while playing the game.

Thanks for your help and recommendations.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
For your requirements listed, an Xbox One or Playstation 4 are really your only options. I guess the deciding factor would be which one your friends want to buy as well.

not_taken

Jun 12, 2018
For your requirements listed, an Xbox One or Playstation 4 are really your only options. I guess the deciding factor would be which one your friends want to buy as well.
Thank you, can you recommend games? I know I love Gran Turismo. Can that be played one on one remotely?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thank you, can you recommend games? I know I love Gran Turismo. Can that be played one on one remotely?

I'm still on a PS3 as I don't game as much anymore, but I'm sure some of our console gamers here will be along to recommend some good games for you to play on each of the systems. I think the Xbox One might have more of the racing type games, but I could be wrong about that :)

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Which game do you want to play?

For Xbox One and PS4 you need to subscribe to Xbox Live Gold or PS+ for online multiplayer. These are $60/yr, though you can often get them on sale.

If you only care about multi-player games I would go with Xbox. PS4 is better is you are interested in single player games also. I cannot really tell you about PS4 options as I have an Xbox.

Forza is good racing game, they have 2 options, Forza motorsport which is straight track racing and Forza Horizon which is open world, with street racing. Both have good online options.

FPS games like Call of Duty, Battlefield or Fortnight all work well for online, though they are more multiplayer, you would be teaming up with your buddy and then fighting with/against others.

Diablo 3 or Warhammer Vermintide are good hack and slash co-op games.

If you see any local-coop games you like you can play online through mixer controller sharing, though I cannot really say how good the latency is as I haven't used it. One person broadcasts the game and shares the controller then the other person "watches" the stream and can use the shared controller. This is a tutorial on how to do it (first search I found): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=froGHvGuRsc

not_taken

Jun 12, 2018
I really want my friend and I to be able to have a private conversation while we're playing. Maybe stop playing for awhile and talk, then go back to playing again. When we're in a FPS with others, won't we be able to hear the conversation of others and they hear ours? If that is the case, it won't appeal to me. In fact, just the idea of connecting through a public server doesn't really make me too enthusiastic. I suppose being able to connect directly is a PC thing, or maybe even on PCs it is a thing of the past.

I guess I'm picturing a game that we could free explore in. Again, maybe more of a PC game thing.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I really want my friend and I to be able to have a private conversation while we're playing. Maybe stop playing for awhile and talk, then go back to playing again. When we're in a FPS with others, won't we be able to hear the conversation of others and they hear ours? If that is the case, it won't appeal to me. In fact, just the idea of connecting through a public server doesn't really make me too enthusiastic. I suppose being able to connect directly is a PC thing, or maybe even on PCs it is a thing of the past.

I guess I'm picturing a game that we could free explore in. Again, maybe more of a PC game thing.

No, generally you will only hear people in your group/squad in the game. Some games have proximity voice chat where you will hear people when you get close to them.

Minecraft would do what you want if you are into that game, you can make an invite only server and then only your friend would be on it.

You can make a group outside of a game on xbox/PS and talk whenever you want.

Last edited: