Good easy to use software for managing new video cards?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Playing around with a new XFX Black Edition RX470 4GB and quickly realized what a massive steaming pile of crap wattman is. It was so bad I had to use a driver cleaner to wipe the system and install just the basic drivers. It caused serious problems with the GPU (even at full default/auto).

However I'd still like to setup a better fan profile, lower the voltage (it's at 1.15v core), and raise the throttle/power limits (it's default throttle is 65c).

I did a little looking myself, but there's a lot of junk out there that looks far worse than even watmann. On top of that, I'm not sure which software is actually compatible with my new GPU...what will work properly and not break the card (locking the fans to either 0% or 100% or doing crazy stuff with voltages etc).

This is worse than the entire vomit thread combined:
1.jpg

Why don't we have good stuff that's complete and easy to understand and use, like the old ATITool:
ATITool_1.gif

It even had a nice stress testing tool built in that was super convenient. Obviously we now hove more control options, like voltage and fan speeds...but does the software need to be so much more complex for that?

Reactions: Drazick

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Not sure what your issue with Wattman is, its pretty straight forward.

However sounds like MSI Afterburner is your best bet. The Default v3 skin isn't gawdy like most and the strix one you linked above but very simple with sliders.

msi-afterburner-overvoltage2.jpg

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I'm interested in setting up a few of the power states, can the MSI do that or is it just the top boost state?
Where's the setting for the core speed, thermal and power throttle states, what's the voltage settings actually doing (+/- from what)?

Wattman would actually be mostly OK (except the terrible fan control) if it worked and didn't screw with my GPU.
For whatever reason it seems incompatible, and screws with the fan speeds, voltages, clock rates etc. even if I never turn it on.

Reactions: Drazick

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
That hasn't been available in cards for probably a decade. All of that is in the cards bios, which for the RX series you can edit if you really want to.

Otherwise all graphic tools are for the core, memory, voltage and power level. You can't set specifics there, mostly because the cards are pretty smart these days and automatically adjust voltage and core speeds and power and cooling depending on the need. Pretty much every card will run at very low voltage on 2d, ramping up as things need more power.

But again if you want more control download a bios editor for AMD's RX cards and edit the bios.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Wattman does exactly what you are talking about...

I have different undervolt offsets for each power state for my Fury as well as all my RX 480s. Yes it required trial and error to determine 100% stable undervolts, but it was worth it for the exponential decrease in power usage...

Reactions: Bacon1

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
some sort of automatic wattman overclock as well as power save functions would be pretty killer. even better, something where you could select on a slider losing some small percentage of performance in exchange for power savings (considering how that last p-state in polaris to get to 1266 on an OEM card really ups the required voltage there would be significant p/W imrpovement), and all completely automatic?

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
some sort of automatic wattman overclock as well as power save functions would be pretty killer. even better, something where you could select on a slider losing some small percentage of performance in exchange for power savings (considering how that last p-state in polaris to get to 1266 on an OEM card really ups the required voltage there would be significant p/W imrpovement), and all completely automatic?

Well that is what chill and the power saving features do. Also why they have a frame limiter. If you are using those then you'll notice your card downclocking often.