Good DIY Laptop kit?

BigAl3du

Feb 27, 2000
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the market for a new laptop for myself and since I've built almost every computer I've ever owned I don't want to break the tradition now when I get a new laptop. Does anyone know of any good DIY laptop kits? Thanks!:)

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
Laptops don't come in DIY kits, primarily because of the proprietary nature of most of the components, as well as much tighter tolerances.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can buy a bare bones setup and pick out your CPU, RAM, HDD, and CDdrive but thats the same thing you do at dell.com

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Gunbuster
You can buy a bare bones setup and pick out your CPU, RAM, HDD, and CDdrive but thats the same thing you do at dell.com

For a laptop? Link?

gregor7777

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
I remember seeing these a few years ago...their like a small suitcase. Not very appealing to the eye, of efficient either for that matter. I'll see if I can dig one up...

dakels

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
Originally posted by: Gunbuster
yea i mean thats not really a DIY but BTO. You can always swap alot of stuff in a laptop but its not very easy to deal with and you have to buy some sort of base with case/mobo/power/LCD etc. Now you can change the HD, CPU, RAM, Video, Drives, etc but its more like modification, not build it yourself. I'm sure you can realy go all out and try to buy seperate parts from different systems, but this would be really difficult and totally out of the norm.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
The closest you can really come to building a laptop is custom ordering one. Building your own laptop is a bad idea. Probably near impossible.
-doug

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Yup, this is part of the reason I never got a laptop (price is the other :)) was that I couldn't build it myself. There's too much proprietary stuff in laptops that I would want to swap out for newer things and it just doesn't work like that, unfortunately.