Good deal? Gforce 4mx 420 64Mb DDR vs. GForce 2 GTS 32Mb DDR?

WhiteWizard

Jun 21, 2001
My friend offers me this deal:
He's Gforce 4 mx 420 64Mb DDR/ tv out in exchange for my Gforce 2 GTS 32Mb DDR (plus some money, lets say $30) , it is a good deal?

He's video card is generic (Pine brand) mine is a Creative Anihilator II.

Did the 4mx is faster than my 2 GTS?, did it outperform the GF 2 in everything???, has it more features?
The 4mx is missbehaving, particularly it resets the PC with some heavy games (Unreal 2002 for ex), but it works great whit Serious Sam II, mine never knows what a problem means, but perhaps this is realated to some configuration.

What should I do??

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
He's Gforce 4 mx 420 64Mb DDR/ tv out in exchange for my Gforce 2 GTS 32Mb DDR (plus some money, lets say $30) , it is a good deal?
Did the 4mx is faster than my 2 GTS?, did it outperform the GF 2 in everything???, has it more features?

Their very similar boards overall.
The GF4 MX is little more then a hyped up GF2, it's based around the GF2 core architecture.
The GTS has more brute force rendering power then does the GF4MX, but the GF4 MX has a superior memory subsystem.... though it's in many ways neutered due to the use of only SDR SDRAM... a few MX420's use DDR SDRAM, but only on 64bit memory bus rather then 1 128bit memory controller.
Real world performance between the two boards is very similar.
I'd perhaps give an incremental edge to the GTS over the MX420 but it will definitely depend upon the individual game.

Similarly the feature set is almost identical between the two.
The GF4 uses a different FSAA implementation, which offers slightly lower quality but superior performance... it also offers Quincunx AA implementation.
Outside of that the only significant difference between the two is that the MX420 has a vastly superior DVD implementation. If your at all interested in DVD's the MX420 will offer significantly better performance and quite a bit better quality also.
The GeForce4 MX features dual integrated TMDS transmitters for dual DVI output of resolutions up to 1280 x 1024 per monitor.... though it does sound like that would be of anmy interest to you.

3D feature set is identical between the two boards, as in TV-Out implementation on a driver level.

Overall your not likely to find much difference.... better DVD playback, and a different FSAA implementation are the only huge changes.
Since yur GTS only has 32MB RAM, the MX420 would also be advantageous in that is has 64MB.

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) I'd take the GF4MX420 64MB over the GF2GTS 32MB, if they both had 64MB it would be a matter of 'GF4MX enhancements' VS 'slightly faster 3D'. I'm not sure which way the $30 is going here, I assume you're paying more for the GF4MX 64MB.

:) The GF4MX cards are simply faster / more efficient GF2 cards with a few enhancements ... namely hugely improved image quality, dual display and DVD playback while also slightly improving TVout too (all drivers recognise it, they are more standardised and dual RAMDACs mean you can use diff res and refresh rates). The GF4MX420 tends to fall between the GF2MX400 and the GF2GTS in 3D but 32MB is soemthing to definitely avoid in any relatively new game where the MX420 will surely be the clear winner. Another plus for the GF4MX is when you come to sell the card on a 64MB GF4 is going to be a LOT easier and more profitable to sell.

:eek: In terms of pure 3D technology the GF2 and GF4MX are virtually identical. If the MX420 is causing instability it is most likely residual drivers from previous cards, heat issues (unlikely), power issues (also unlikely) or some wierd mobo/Windows incompatability.

:D I'd take the GF4MX but I'd only take it on the basis if it doesn't work in your PC he'll have to give you cash or your GF2 back. You could consider doing the swap, seeing how much you could get for the GF4MX. Considering the GF4MX440 (faster than any GF2) or even better GF4MX440-8X, GF3, Rad8500LE or Rad9000PRO prices it would make sense to set your sights a little higher, esp if you have a decent CPU.