Good character creation games?

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
Looking for basically T rated games because my daughters simply love to create characters and play a little, then create another character, etc. They've played the heck out of Oblivion (not "T" but should be). They love all the character mods associated with that game (the appropriate ones, of course).

Any other suggestions? These games are primarily RPGs I guess.

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
Spore. I spent more time with the creature creator than with the actual game. It's amazing what you can come up with.

If you're talking about human characters, the Mass Effect games definitely have the best customization when it comes to physical appearance. It's especially cool because you see your character talk in all the dialog scenes. It's rated M, though :(

TheFamilyMan

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2003
You looking at MMO's as an option? If so, there is probably no better character-creation engine than City of Heroes character creator.

I still keep my subscription alive as my girls love to get on, create a lvl 1 toon, and design the character's costume and image. Many of them they don't even play LOL. They just create and goof around on, delete, rinse-and-repeat.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Most D&D games allow a lot of customization at the start, but once the game gets going theres not much to choose from except adding a class. In NWN and NWN 2 there isnt a lot of benefit to adding a class because your party is always so well balanced.

In Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 only humans can add a class after they begin playing (called Dual-Classing) and their choices are limited.

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
Wow, never considered Spore or an MMO. Will check into these for sure. They also love Morrowind for the character creation aspects. They do have NWN2 and really like it. Oblivion is the king to them and they cannot wait for Skyrim!

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
OP, have you looked into Diablo II?

You know what? I have that and they were digging a female archer type character when I created one (if I remember correctly). They would like that, although constant combat would wear them down probably. Maybe not though. Damn great suggestions guys.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
You know what? I have that and they were digging a female archer type character when I created one (if I remember correctly). They would like that, although constant combat would wear them down probably. Maybe not though. Damn great suggestions guys.

When my kids and I were playing diablo II, I went down to walmart and bought a couple of those diablo battle chest. From there, we all created a battle.net account so that we could play together.

Video games are the modern way to play games with the kids. Instead of breaking out a game of monopoly, we play left 4 dead, team fortress classic, diablo ii,,,,, stuff like that.

My son and my daughter both have steam accounts. When a game goes on sale, I will get all three of us a copy.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Titan Quest allows you to pick any gender for your class. And with multiple classes you can customize easily.
War/Hunter would probably be best for an archer, though I did Hunter/Rogue once and that was pretty kick ass.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Spore. I spent more time with the creature creator than with the actual game. It's amazing what you can come up with.

If you're talking about human characters, the Mass Effect games definitely have the best customization when it comes to physical appearance. It's especially cool because you see your character talk in all the dialog scenes. It's rated M, though :(

Spore is abysmal for any age.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Titan Quest allows you to pick any gender for your class. And with multiple classes you can customize easily.
War/Hunter would probably be best for an archer, though I did Hunter/Rogue once and that was pretty kick ass.

Titan quest is also on steam and goes on sale from time to time.

In the christmas - new years sales that steam has, they put titan quest and titan quest immortal throne on sale for something like $9. I bought my daughter, my son and myself a copy.

Titan quest is a pretty sweet game. It just seems to be overshadowed by the diablo series.

Lets not forget about Sacred. Sacred 2 did not recive very good reviews so I did not buy it. I bought the original Sacred years ago and thought it was good. The voice acting gets old rather fast though.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
If you're looking for an MMO that has character development, don't overlook Ultima Online. You can run through a characters progression without any combat, with skills ranging from cooking to tailoring to any crafting you can think of.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Any other suggestions? These games are primarily RPGs I guess.
Some non-RPG choices:

Elemental War of Magic has character customization.

Galactic Civilization 2 let you make you build your spaceships to look anyone you wanted. Some people spent more time making ships than playing.

The Sims 3 is popular amongst women.

Poser isn't a game, but she might like it. There are also some other carton/manga creation programs that might also interest her.

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
There are also some other carton/manga creation programs that might also interest her.

My oldest is actually an artist and her specialty is manga art, so whatever suggestions you may have there would be pretty huge. I have no idea on that one. Sounds like a Google search is in order!

Oh, and she has Sims 3 and does like it a lot. I showed her the Spore trailer over lunch and she thought it looked intriguing.

I'll check into Poser and Elemental.

I'm trying to not get into monthly fee MMOs. She typically likes strong powerful female characters (go figure). She's toying with Forsaken Worlds right now.

Last edited:

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007

Another vote for Spore. That is... if they're under the age of 10. The game has no depth besides character creation.

p0nd

Apr 18, 2011
She typically likes strong powerful female characters (go figure). She's toying with Forsaken Worlds right now.

If this is the case i highly recommend Beyond Good & Evil. No character creation but a great game with a strong female lead, and the game avoids a lot of video-game-girl cliches (i.e. not like Lara Croft :p)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
have her play with the eve character creator. If you set up a trial account its free to mess with for 2 weeks. If she wants to keep doing it she could just keep making new trial accounts. Probably the most advanced character creator there is.

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
If they like Star Wars at all then of course there's Knights of the Old Republic. Great RPG!

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
My oldest is actually an artist and her specialty is manga art, so whatever suggestions you may have there would be pretty huge. I have no idea on that one. Sounds like a Google search is in order!

I just know about them, I don't really use them. So I can't recommend anything specific.

pathos

Aug 12, 2009
Well, there's always Fallout and Fallout - New Vegas, which are in the same vein as Oblivion as far as character creation. Just set in an aftermath world, instead of fantasy.

Hrm, I'm trying to remember what Vampire:The Masquerade - Bloodlines was rated. Might have been M or T. If you look into that one, be sure and patch it with official and community patches though. Great game, just needs some work to get there.

Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 (2 had some ending issues, but if your daughters never get to the end, it won't be an issue)

Jade Empire is along the same type as Knights, just chinese mythology instead of Star Wars.

Have you thought about some of the free to play mmo's? As long as you don't let them get into the cash shop (which isn't really needed until higher levels, generally), then they can make characters all day long in those games. Some of them, like Runes of Magic and Perfect World International, have quite a bit of character customization. And since they are free to download/free to play, cheap is good :p

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
When my kids and I were playing diablo II, I went down to walmart and bought a couple of those diablo battle chest. From there, we all created a battle.net account so that we could play together.

If you don't care about being on bnet, you could just use one copy, and setup lan play (I think the limit is 8 players in a game IIRC). I did this with my family because my sister didn't want her daughter on bnet chatting with strangers.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i cant believe no one said Morrowind / Oblivion !
lots of options there for both male and female multiplied by many races!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Champions Online, which I was playing a bit on the weekend, has pretty robust character creation. I spent over an hour creating my character.

Some guy had a perfect Nightcrawler running around out there and it looked awesome, so it seems you can pretty much do whatever you want.

KT