Good but cheap cookware?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
We gave away all of our college things before leaving, and now I need pretty much all new stuff for my apartment. All of the stuff I used in college was given to us, so I don't know what is good to buy. I have Kohls, Walmart, Target, etc available.

Normally I'd go to Walmart as I was poor and it was the only place available, but that has changed some. But I still want to stay relatively cheap.

Do I want to go with aluminum or stainless steel or different pots and pans? I was tempted to just get the $20 10pc set, it said it was stainless steel and nonstick, but some of that stuff just seems like it will get trashed in the dishwasher even though it says otherwise, it will rust, etc. So just about how much do I have to spend to get decent quality stuff that will last a while? Farberware good enough? I seen a 10pc set for $50, about the max I can spend.

That stuff is my most concern on quality. Things like silverware, I'll just get the smallest stainless steel sets they have. For dishes, again I don't want to go too cheap I think, but I don't need fancy designs and such.

So in short, are there any things I want or want to avoid? I don't want to waste money on something sucky, or be stuck with stuff that isn't gonna last more than a year.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Any cookware set around $50.00 will last you for a few years. The almost always are aluminum, and they tend to have hot spots when you cook, but are decent.

A true decent basic cookware sets are over $100.00 (Kitchenaid, Cuisinart, so forth).

I probably would just get a good nonstick set that is dishwasher safe, and buy a better set in a couple years when your set starts falling apart (non stick coming off and warping). Cheap aluminum sets warp from cooking on high heat because they are so thin.

I just bough a stainless Cuisinart set from Amazon for $109.00 (upgraded from cheap Wearever set) and what a difference it makes in cooking.

It also greatly depends on what kind of stove you will be cooking on.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Get a cast iron set at your local surplus store. Not only is it cheap but, it will last a lifetime.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
get regular stainless pots.
cheap non-stick is worthless. it will flake off, it will be worthless after a few washings.

just get the parts you need for now, don't buy a whole set. get a skillet with some taller sides and a lid, a 2 qt pot. if you treat the stainless right it will be just as non-stick as the non-stick and you will never have to worry about it flaking off in your food and ruining your pan. look for pots and pans with a thick bottom and sides. they will cook more evenly and hold heat better. do not get the stuff that is like stamped sheet metal, it sucks.
the last one i bought was about 20 bucks for a 3qt sauce pan.

shoegazer

May 22, 2005
Cast iron is a good bet if you're willing to take care of it.

Surprisingly, Walmart has some decent cookware. I picked up a Tramontina cast iron dutch oven and a Tramontina 12" Tri-ply saute pan for less than $70 total. These are knockoffs of Le Creuset and All-Clad cookware which typically cost $100+ each. The Tramontina knockoffs are very high quality in my opinion. They are very heavy and distribute heat very evenly.

Sears has a great deal on a set of Tramontina Tri-ply.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00862590000P

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You generally get what you pay for. I've found a lot of really nice one piece gems from amazon sales for 20 bucks or less per piece. Buying a cheap full set is just going to give you burned food.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Get up early next Saturday and go to several garage sales in nearby good neighborhoods.

Thank me in this thread when you get home. ;)

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
So no nonstick? :confused: Cause I really need that. Like take the Hamburger Helper Cheesy Hashbrowns, which is the best damn meal in existence. You need a good nonstick for that. None of the pans I had worked for it, so I went and bought a simple nonstick 10" pan just to make that.

But I want to go with cast iron or stainless still? Are the sets a ripoff or do you just mean to avoid cheap set just as you would avoid the same items separately? Cause the sets generally would contain what I need. I want two pans, bigass pot (4-5 qt), then two smaller pots. I think that would be about the minimum. Then from there I'll want a cookie sheet or two, maybe those pyrex dishes that you can cook pimp stuff in the oven with.

From Walmart, there are Tramontina ~8pc sets ranging from $50 to $110. T-fal/Wearever sets for $50-80. Farberware for $50-100.

Would a Farberware set like this one be getting too jenk?

Also, would something like that Tramonita set linked be non stick enough? Are you saying if you get decent stainless steel stuff like that, then it doesn't need the nonstick coating which just rubs off on cheap ones anyway?

edit: I'll have to get some local papers this week to local for garage sales. Cause I think you're right about that. Most of our college dishes came from my buddy's mom who got that stuff from there. It might just take a bit of running around to find the right things that are of good condition still.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Perknose has a good idea.

We got most of our cookware from Macy's, their basic "Tools of the trade" brand is good for the money. It will be a bit pricier than the walmart special, but it will actually last.

Also, if you want this stuff to last use only plastic or wood utensils. Metal things will easily scratch the non stick coating.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Originally posted by: duragezic
So no nonstick? :confused: Cause I really need that. Like take the Hamburger Helper Cheesy Hashbrowns, which is the best damn meal in existence. You need a good nonstick for that. None of the pans I had worked for it, so I went and bought a simple nonstick 10" pan just to make that.

My stainless set is this one:

Link (it also looks like it went up to $149.00).

My wife does not like to cook, so she mostly makes hamburger helper type items, 10 minute rices, and noodles.

It has an aluminum core enclosed in stainless steel (aluminum transfers heat much better than steel) and after dinner when we have cleaned up, it does not stick to the pan.

We just remove it from the stove, put a little water in it for about 10 minutes, and everything loosens right up.

I personally like the stainless and how it cooks much better than non-stick cookware.

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
costco had a highly rated non stick Kirkland set for sale not too long ago. Consumer reports had them listed near the top for non stick if you are looking to go that route. I dont remember how much they cost maybe $199 for the 12 pc set??

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I have a ten year old set of T-FAL nonstick pots and pans that are still going strong. The nonstick surface is still in perfect order. Just let them cool off and wash them in the sink with a nonabrasive brush.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
go for stainless over aluminum.

basically, the heavier/thicker something is, the better... more solid, more even heating, fewer "hot spots", etc.

you dont need a "set" of cook ware.... just a 3qt chef's pan / windsor / saucier ; a 10-12" saute pan ; a 5qt enameled dutch oven / casserole ; and optionally just a big honking stock pot. a 20$ cast iron pan is good to have as well

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Originally posted by: UsandThem
My stainless set is this one:

Link (it also looks like it went up to $149.00).

My wife does not like to cook, so she mostly makes hamburger helper type items, 10 minute rices, and noodles.

It has an aluminum core enclosed in stainless steel (aluminum transfers heat much better than steel) and after dinner when we have cleaned up, it does not stick to the pan.

We just remove it from the stove, put a little water in it for about 10 minutes, and everything loosens right up.

I personally like the stainless and how it cooks much better than non-stick cookware.

i agree. i like how the stainless cooks much better too. i make hamburger helper once in a while and it does not stick to my stainless either. like usandthem says, do not use metal in them, I personally love my well seasoned wooden spoons, but bamboo spoons seem like a popular choice now too. plastic also works, but you have to make sure not to leave it touching the metal too long because most of them will melt.

having done a heat transfer project using nifty software (radTherm) on the exact problem of making a very efficient pot to boil water in, it really does not matter if it has a different core material on the bottom as long as the metal is relatively thick. If the metal is very thin an aluminum or copper core will spread out the heat slightly better. the thicker homogeneous metal bottom will almost always spread out the heat better than a non-homogeneous metal bottom that is even slightly thinner.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Are you cooking for yourself, sometimes for two?

Here's what you need to get by:

A decent quality chef's knife, forged if possible. I got a Cook's brand from JC Penney for $20 with a paring knife included. It's a 7" with hollows.
3qt saute (wide pan with straight sides) and a lid. I got one from Calphalon for this, all stainless, with a helper handle. It was the "try me" piece in that line, so it was like $30. The try me pieces are priced low to get you hooked. You can make most of a set if you don't care about matching look/brands.
3qt Chef's pan. Has a flat bottom, sloped sides, and a lid. Good for just about everything. Mine is anodized aluminum, but I don't recommend that if you want to throw it in the dishwasher.
Big stock pot (8qt+). Cheapest you can find, doesn't need to be sturdy. Mostly for boiling water and making soups.
One or two oven pans, to make steaks and such. Get one with sides and one without.

That's it. A basic kitchen needs nothing but that. I suggest that the saute be stainless and not non-stick, so that you get better searing on meat. Consider adding a decent non-stick frying pan, 10", if you like to make eggs, since no amt of butter keeps them off of stainless or aluminum. I got mine for $20 from Target. Look for the thick anodized aluminum variety w/ nonstick coating. Since it's $20, use all the metal utensils you want on it, and replace annually.

Nothing in the kitchen will make you happier than a sharp, quality knife. The JCP Santoku 7" that I have has lasted me about 3 years now, almost daily use. Highly recommend it as a bargain item. Just looked now, and the price is even lower. Get the 4" for smaller jobs too then. Trust me, cooking is actually fun when you have a decent knife, and not some thin, stamped, serrated shit.

I promise to stop padding this post, but do not put it in the dishwasher, same with any anodized aluminum you get. Knives should be washed and immediately dried by hand to preserve the edge. It's worth it, I only sharpen my knives maybe once every 2 years.

Knife

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Cookware is pretty much an investment. My parents still have the same cookware probably from when they got married nearly 30 years ago. It's quality stuff. I'm guessing they got it as a wedding present, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it cost a few hundred dollars (Considering prices in 1979)

I'd say make a small investment on a nice set now and not worry about replacing it until you hand it down to your kids someday, but maybe you are just looking for something to last until you can make a better investment.

I was given a decent set of coated pots and pants for Christmas... they are decent, they cook well... but the coating scratches semi-easily. I can't use metal utensils on them. I expect that I can get at least ten years out of it before I WANT to get a new set... If I treat it right, that is.

shoegazer

May 22, 2005
Originally posted by: duragezic

From Walmart, there are Tramontina ~8pc sets ranging from $50 to $110. T-fal/Wearever sets for $50-80. Farberware for $50-100.

Would a Farberware set like this one be getting too jenk?

Also, would something like that Tramonita set linked be non stick enough? Are you saying if you get decent stainless steel stuff like that, then it doesn't need the nonstick coating which just rubs off on cheap ones anyway?

Cheap non-stick is the way to go. The non-stick coating eventually wears off (even if you don't use metal utencils...which you shouldn't).

But, the Tramontina Triply stainless will last you forever so it's worth the extra couple bucks. I use the stainless for most things and sticking food is rarely a problem. I typically only use my nonstick 10" pan for eggs.

Farberware is made of very thin steel compared to that of the Triply. You'll likely burn your food because it won't distribute heat evenly. Head into walmart and feel the difference between the Triply and the Farberware.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
I would recommend NOT getting non-stick, except for on specific pieces where your cooking requires it. For me, I just keep buying cheap non-stick pans from Target, once every year or two. I really only need a 10" frying pan in non-stick, so that's all I get. Use metal utensils and toss it when it's beat to hell.

Off the top of my head, eggs are the only food I even semi-regularly make that I wouldn't do on stainless or anodized aluminum.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999
Get a good used cast iron skillet. Go to HSN or Sams Club and get on sale ( 11 pc for $100). You don't want to put cast iron or good stainless in a dish washer.