Good & bad news for price of oil.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
There is only one war America should fight and that is the war to go solar.

Yeah, I can agree with that.

Now that Oil is Down to 2 bucks a gallon. Why don't we start investing in Solar before it GOES BACK UP to 4.00 + a gallon again. Why don't we get rid of Ford, GM and start a new automotive that will only build cars that get 40 + MPG, and Trucks that get 30+ MPG!

And TAX the crap out of any other car/truck that can't compete? What a Win/Win situation!

Or do you all think we should just wait till oil gets above 5 bucks a gallon and then bitch and moan about it?

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: desy
um humm
The rise in the US $ has meant we are getting paid $85 per barrel of oil here in Canada in terms of our $ making it still pretty viable for things like Tar Sand production which needs at least $70 to be viable
If oil drops to $55, say and/or Canadian dollar stops falling against the US, will they really just "shut down" a lot of the tar sands? I had heard it needed $50 for break even, but if it is $70, what happens to places like fort mcmurray? Do they suddenly stop selling tiny houses for $500k?

Low oil price already affected the BC/AB economy. Oil & gas has keep the West from the housing down turn that plague Canada since last year, however we are not immune to the economic crunch as we were hoping for due to high commodity prices.

Now that oil had dropped below $80 that requires to keeps new tarsand projects going. In the last couple of weeks, Fort Mcmurray has shut down $19 billion that was earmark for the expansion of tarsand upgrader. And, for the first time in a decade Fort Mcmurray lay off 3800 oil patch workers. And, rumors suggests more lay off to come because oil price is dropping down to such a low level.

$33-35 is the break even mark to keep the tarsand flowing.
$50-55 is what it take to keeps administrative and relative tarsand support projects going.
$80-85 is the requirement to keep all existing projects & projects that they have broke ground going.
$100 is what it take to expand the tarsand projects.

The above numbers are from the various sources that I have read in the last year or so.

<-- oil price is affecting my employment.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: NoShangriLa
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: desy
um humm
The rise in the US $ has meant we are getting paid $85 per barrel of oil here in Canada in terms of our $ making it still pretty viable for things like Tar Sand production which needs at least $70 to be viable
If oil drops to $55, say and/or Canadian dollar stops falling against the US, will they really just "shut down" a lot of the tar sands? I had heard it needed $50 for break even, but if it is $70, what happens to places like fort mcmurray? Do they suddenly stop selling tiny houses for $500k?

Low oil price already affected the BC/AB economy. Oil & gas has keep the West from the housing down turn that plague Canada since last year, however we are not immune to the economic crunch as we were hoping for due to high commodity prices.

Now that oil had dropped below $80 that requires to keeps new tarsand projects going. In the last couple of weeks, Fort Murray has shut down $19 billion that was earmark for the expansion of tarsand upgrader. And, for the first time in a decade Fort Murray lay off 3800 oil patch workers. And, rumors suggests more lay off to come because oil price is dropping down to such a low level.

$50-55 is what it take to keeps administrative and relative tarsand support projects going.
$80-85 is the requirement to keep all existing projects & projects that they have broke ground going.

The above numbers are from the various sources that I have read in the last year or so.

Thanks for the info!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Sorry but you know we shouldn't be on oil since 1973.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Why not? Its only $2.00 a gallon. Got a cheaper alternative?

NoShangriLa

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2006

What should we be using for fuel/energy?

Geothermal is what I specialize in, and the company that I worked with has dabble with solar in the past.

Heat pumps is a good way to save energy, but it still require electricity to run. Solar doesn't require electricity, however the energy produce from it is so minimal that it doesn't worth the effort.

Cheapest solar panels!

How Stuff Works

Suggests $16,000 in solar panels investment would produce 600 W/h. That is barely enought energy to run your refrigerator if you have an energy star fridge. And, they didn't factor in the cost of inverter, batteries, or install fees. You have to look up the energy cost in your area to get the exact dollar amount, but they suggests that 100 watts/hour would cost you $91 a year.

Energy cost is quite low here in my area and a solar setup that I saw 18 months a go that cost well over $30K CAD to setup + inverter + battery cells produce in optimal condition is 2200 watts/h. And, the owner was quite upset when I figured out the energy saving for him base on his system. I figure that he would get an average of 80% engergy for 8 hours a day average here in my area therefore his system would produce 14.08 Kw a day, and the local electricity price is $0.0598 CAD KwH or roughtly 84.2 cents a day worth of energy. Or, well over 100 years (not include maintenance) before the system pay for it self.

Hydro & wind power is the best way to get green energy, but they are far from perfect. It doesn't affect the environment as much as burning fossil fuel, and requires specific conditions therefore only a select few area on this planet these technology can be deploy.

Until we perfected wind turbines for deep ocean (wind energry cost is between 1.5-5X more than coal equivalent), improve in solar panel technology, or figure out nuclear waste disposal; coal, natural gas, and oil is the godsend that is keeping our civilization alive.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: Thump553
This talk of demand destruction is basically BS. Demand is probably off a hair, but not enough to justify gasoline prices being less than half what they were four months ago.

What happened with oil prices this spring and summer makes Enron and the California electric prices from a few years back look like a misdemeanor scam. We got pumped and dumped, and for an extra benefit got the economy knocked into a recession as well.

Demand destruction happened and is still happening. About 50% of the oil is consumed for transportation, the other 50% is industrial production. And if you looked at industrial production lately, you can see what is happening there.

Demand for gasoline is down 4% from 1 year ago. That is approx 330,000 BPD of GASOLINE or 670,000 BPD of crude.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It's still going to mid-40s and a buck-fifty by Christmas.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

What should we be using for fuel/energy?

Geothermal is what I specialize in, and the company that I worked with has dabble with solar in the past.

Heat pumps is a good way to save energy, but it still require electricity to run. Solar doesn't require electricity, however the energy produce from it is so minimal that it doesn't worth the effort.

Cheapest solar panels!

How Stuff Works

Suggests $16,000 in solar panels investment would produce 600 W/h. That is barely enought energy to run your refrigerator if you have an energy star fridge. And, they didn't factor in the cost of inverter, batteries, or install fees. You have to look up the energy cost in your area to get the exact dollar amount, but they suggests that 100 watts/hour would cost you $91 a year.

Energy cost is quite low here in my area and a solar setup that I saw 18 months a go that cost well over $30K CAD to setup + inverter + battery cells produce in optimal condition is 2200 watts/h. And, the owner was quite upset when I figured out the energy saving for him base on his system. I figure that he would get an average of 80% engergy for 8 hours a day average here in my area therefore his system would produce 14.08 Kw a day, and the local electricity price is $0.0598 CAD KwH or roughtly 84.2 cents a day worth of energy. Or, well over 100 years (not include maintenance) before the system pay for it self.

Hydro & wind power is the best way to get green energy, but they are far from perfect. It doesn't affect the environment as much as burning fossil fuel, and requires specific conditions therefore only a select few area on this planet these technology can be deploy.

Until we perfected wind turbines for deep ocean (wind energry cost is between 1.5-5X more than coal equivalent), improve in solar panel technology, or figure out nuclear waste disposal; coal, natural gas, and oil is the godsend that is keeping our civilization alive.
I briefly looked into solar for my house and although I spend less than $100/month average on electricity (water and heat are via gas) apparently it was going to be about $45k in panels on my roof to support that.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

Awwwwww how cute. You work for Exxon, BP etc?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

Awwwwww how cute. You work for Exxon, BP etc?
Well, your craziness is free. If only we could hook it directly up to the grid, the world would have more energy than it knows what to do with.