Good amp for under $100?\\

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
That's custom, not the standard line-level RCA or speaker-level wire pair a sub normally connects with. Your sub is now an ex-parrot unless you buy a matching receiver on eBay.

Onkyo makes nice home theater in a box systems in the $300-500 range with 5 sats, sub and receiver but I don't think they throw in the $20 DVD player.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Go to Crutchfield.com and look at the subs there.

RCA = line level = standard analog "red and white" like a tape deck, game console, vcr, etc.

speaker level = 2 wires, red and black or red and white. Just like the other speakers connected to a standard receiver.

(Many subs have both kinds of connectors, so you can wire the sub in place of the front left & right speakers using speaker wire, then attach the front left and right speakers to the sub instead of to the receiver)

receiver - --RCA / Line ---------- Sub

-or-

receiver === 2 pairs speaker wire === sub === left & right front speakers

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Do you need a receiver with a built-in amp, or just an amp?

RelaxTheMind

Platinum Member
Oct 15, 2002
Depending on where you live.. you can find some dam good deals in pawn shops for some high end stuff. On occasion you might even find some of your own stuff.

I picked up a basically brand new $200 5.1 reciever for my other tv for $60. its long been given to my little cousin but i still see the same deals every so often.