Good 8 port managed switch

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looking for a good 8-16 port managed switch. Its for home use but i would like setup a few servers(web, ftp, mail, game, etc) on a few old box's and use the managed switch to isolate them from talking to the rest of the network as added security, incase someone does get into the server they cant access rest of my network. I dont like running active listening servers on a home network and want to tighten my security as much as possible. Im not going to go Cisco pix crazy or anything but a managed switch will help and they are affordable now.

I would also like it to support 802.3ad Link Aggregation so i can add a few NIC's to my media server to give it more bandwidth/reliability while i wait for 10gig ethernet to become affordable. Streaming full size blu-rays eats up bandwidth like you wouldn't believe.

Price limit $200-300, was thinking about the HP procurves is that a good idea?

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
the 8 port can be powered over ethernet too! poe.

i used 2510G-48's(1.5K) for desktops and 2910al($3K) for backend storage mixed(vmotion too).

but i have that 1810G-24 for something. expansion or isolation. it's not bad. it definitely not standard procurve 2510G quality though.