Gonna be buying more stuff from Directron

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i love newegg :D they've sponsored many a lan party of mine, have great prices, shipping is sometimes a bitch, but at least it is always good and always fast...and you cant beat the customer support...not to mention bill-me-later is nice :D

cker

Dec 19, 2005
Direction has some good prices, but I'll never buy from them again. Last time I did business with 'em (years ago), they had a policy that you couldn't return an item unless you paid them a "testing" fee. So I ordered some stuff, paid testing on the non-chassis parts. To repeat: I paid them for testing. But...

Two items were defective. One hadn't even been removed from the original packaging. Directron's response was that testing is a service that they may not always fulfil, but if you pay for testing you can send back defective stuff. Their implication was that if you don't pay for testing and they send you a box of broken stuff, then you're out of luck. I have no idea if that's actually how it works.

I went around with them for over a week, finally got refunded as a function of persistence, not of their customer service. I will never, ever, EVER shop with them again, and will actively recommend people avoid them when I can. I can handle an extra couple of percent on a part price, but I won't shop with a dishonorable business -- that's just a false economy. I pay a little more at good vendors and don't worry about whether or not they'll send me defective, repackaged crap, or make me spend hours trying to get them to give me what I paid for.

imported_KuJaX

Platinum Member
May 29, 2004
Directron takes a few more days (in my experiences) to ship than Newegg. I get stuff from Newegg 75% of the time in 2 business days, 25% of the time in 3 business days. 100% of my orders with Directron showed up after 5 business days.

Even if Directron is less expensive, and they are on a few items, I am willing to spend more money for the customer service and timeliness Newegg does for me.

Trikat

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Every order from Directron in the past has been good for me. I can't really complain about their customer service as I never had to deal with Directrons customer service. Newegg's customer service is still top notch, their website is a breeze it deal with, and the quality of their packing is great. The only issue is obviously the UPS usage and Newegg still owes me $ from those WD hard drive deals! I'll have to call in about those later. I order from many places and rarely have problems except with Monarchcomputer and their "stuck" orders. Ugh I hate ordering from them and having to email/call in to get those stuck orders moving. They need to fix their checkout system where someone can order several orders in a day to several days.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Personally, I really like Newegg's service, so I generally look there first. The shipping charges went a little over the top though (I tried to buy three different sticks of memory and was going to have to pay a LOT for shipping of three little sticks), so I've started looking elsewhere.

I hadn't heard about the new shipping calculator, if it works I'll move newegg back to the top of my shopping list again.