Golfing in Montana (A stolen Brutuskend P.S.A.!) A.K.A. A JOKE

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001

Some people think that it's bad in the south with snakes, alligators and other critters.

The Montana State Department of Fish and Wildlife is now advising golfers to take extra precautions and be on the alert for bears while in the Gallatin, Helena and Lewis and Clark National Forests golf courses.

They advise golfers to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert, so not to startle the bears unexpectedly.

They also advise you to carry pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch for signs of bear activity.

ALL Golfers should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings on the golf course.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur.

Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray.

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
I love home. I've yet to see a bear IN Helena though. ;). Pepper spray is like self-seasoning yourself to a grizzly. Bad idea.

Brutuskend

Lifer
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: BigPoppa
I love home. I've yet to see a bear IN Helena though. ;). Pepper spray is like self-seasoning yourself to a grizzly. Bad idea.

I've never been there, but from what I've seen it looks like beautiful country.

Dufman

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2002
Thanks for the heads up. If I ever feel the need to hit a little ball, find it, and hit it again I will keep this in mind.

azazyel

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2000
Actually, I think Black Bears are more likely to kill a human than a Grizzly. Supposedly the whole play dead thing works on Grizzly's but with Black Bears you are supposed to try to fight them off.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
"I don't have to out run the bear, I just have to out run YOU!"
reminds me of why I carry a knife when SCUBA diving. It's so I can st@b my buddy and swim away when a shark shows up...

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
i don't get it :(

so grizzlies eat golfers... heh... that's all i got...

Its saying that bells and pepper spray work on black bears. Bells and pepper spray just lead Grizzlies to lunch.