Golfers: What public or private courses would you like to play?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
pebble beach, any of the british open courses, bandon dunes, pacific dunes.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I worked at Cypress Point about 10 years ago. During the previous winter, storms had taken quite a bit of the cliffs, and we were rebuilding them with gunite...they hired artists to stain and paint the new concrete so it looked like natural rock...right down to birdshit...:roll:
The guys on the crew who golfed were excited because we were allowed to play the course before it opened, and after it closed in the afternoon...for free.
Me, I don't chase the little white ball, so it didn't mean anything to me, but it WAS a fun job for the summer.

Aug 10, 2001
When I was younger I wanted to the play the courses at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wisconsin. I don't know if I still do.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Of the courses I've not yet played by top 5 would be

Augusta National
Cypress Point
Pine Valley
Oakmont
Shinnecock Hills

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
I got to walk Banff Springs - unfortunately when I was visiting that part of Alberta, the course was closed :/

A few of mine would be that one, and

Augusta
Hamilton GCC (saw 2 CDN Opens there)
TPC Sawgrass
Firestone
St. Andrew's

Yongsta

Mar 6, 2005
1. Augusta National
2. St. Andrew's
3. Cypress Point
4. Pebble Beach
5. Pine Valley

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Pebble Beach would be my #1 and there are some I've seen in Hawaii (on TV) that I would love to play.

I played Congressional back in highschool, however I didn't play the course that they play the PGA tournaments on, I played the other course there. I think it was the Silver course and the PGA tourneys are on the Gold course.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Augusta would be dope to play on during March when everything is blooming.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
My top 5:

Shinnecock
Whistling Straights
Bandon Dunes
Carnoustie
Oakmont

And for the bragging:

I've played Banff Springs multiple times, I played the Old Course St. Andrew's this summer (and went to the British Open at Carnoustie), played Royal County Down in Northern Ireland, Jasper Park Lodge to start out 4 of the last 5 golf seasons, and a host of other courses that aren't nearly so famous.

My favourite? Royal County Down ... unbelievable, and unbelievably hard :thumbsup:

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I've played Whistling Straits - great course. Not sure I would spend the $350 for a round though (client took me).

I grew up in Lemont, IL, and our home HS course was at Cog Hill, so I've played plenty of times at Dubsdred. My favorite course there has to be #2 - Ravines. Half the price as Dubs and every bit as challenging (I actually like the layout better).

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Patt
My top 5:

Shinnecock
Whistling Straights
Bandon Dunes
Carnoustie
Oakmont

And for the bragging:

I've played Banff Springs multiple times, I played the Old Course St. Andrew's this summer (and went to the British Open at Carnoustie), played Royal County Down in Northern Ireland, Jasper Park Lodge to start out 4 of the last 5 golf seasons, and a host of other courses that aren't nearly so famous.

My favourite? Royal County Down ... unbelievable, and unbelievably hard :thumbsup:
I've seen photos of Royal County Down that look amazing. But the course looked a little beat up (at least on TV) when the Walker Cup was held there a couple of weeks ago.

Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496
I've played Whistling Straits - great course. Not sure I would spend the $350 for a round though (client took me).

I grew up in Lemont, IL, and our home HS course was at Cog Hill, so I've played plenty of times at Dubsdred. My favorite course there has to be #2 - Ravines. Half the price as Dubs and every bit as challenging (I actually like the layout better).
Dubsdread is going to go through some major renovation over the next year. I don't know what the renovation will encompass, however.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Random Variable
Originally posted by: Patt
My top 5:

Shinnecock
Whistling Straights
Bandon Dunes
Carnoustie
Oakmont

And for the bragging:

I've seen photos of Royal County Down that look amazing. But the course looked a little beat up (at least on TV) when the Walker Cup was held there a couple of weeks ago.

Absolutely not. It is not a made-for-TV golf course. When I played it in July, it was in absolutely brilliant shape, even though it had some rough looking areas. The fairways were so pure you could putt from 75 yards away if you so desired, and when the wind came up in my round, it was often necessary to play near the ground.

Put it this way, I vary between 4-6 handicap, and I thought I played pretty well that day and shot an 89 :eek: If there was only one course I could play for the rest of my life, it'd be that one. There were a couple of blind shots that made me uncomfortable, but that is my only complaint.

Seriously, if you ever get the change to play it, it was worth the approximately $310 CDN that I paid, and I'm a friggin' cheapskate :p