Golfers - Anyone ever use Hippo Golf clubs?

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Amazon has a special on the S400 Giant irons ($89-99 for 3-PW) and I wondered if they'd make a decent set of beginner-intermediate irons for my cousin. All I could find out about them was that they were a popular European brand. Non of the golf review sites really mention them which leads me to suspect they're just a lowend starter set company. So if anyone has any experience with them, let me know. TIA.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
I think golf is something you'd want quality clubs for, even as a beginner. But cheap clubs will work, if they just want to learn how to swing and hit and stuff.

Brackis

Banned
Nov 14, 2004
I got a set of knockoff clubs on eBay and was very happy with them. No hippos, but around $150 3-PW made to my exact length by a golf store with my choice of grips.
Added about 15-30 yards to each iron over a set of Callaways from the mid 80's.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: alkemyst
my club is like a hippo's.
Umm...err...good for you? :p

Thanks for the other sites. I'll tell my cuz to check 'em out.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: geecee
Non of the golf review sites really mention them which leads me to suspect they're just a lowend starter set company. So if anyone has any experience with them, let me know. TIA.

That sums it up pretty well. They cater to the lower end of the market, beginners, etc. The way most high-end OEMs like Titleist, Callaway and Taylormade make their stuff you're not sacrificing much by going with a company like Hippo or the other low end stuff like Knight, Northwestern or Golden Bear. It's all made in the same factories in China by the same unskilled workers. Stuff like Hippo is great to use in the transition period from beginner to average. Once you've been playing for a while and are serious about the game you'll want to skip off-the-rack sticks and get custom fit.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
If you're just starting out, and don't know how to swing, it doesn't matter if you're using $89 Hippo's or an expensive set of Nike clubs.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
I don't know about the clubs but with a name like "hippo" they are probably some of the most awesome things around, seeing how the hippo mammal is probably the smartest, strongest, meanest, nicest, and coolest animal known in the universe!!!!

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
In my experience, a GREAT place to get used clubs CHEAP is at tag sales around your area. I know most people think tag sales are trash, but rich people are constantly buying new club sets, and selling their older ones (that are hardly used and very good quality) for cheap. I just bought an almost-new set of Ping clubs, everythign but a driver, for 60 dollars! If you're a beginner, definitely a good place to look.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: junkerman123
In my experience, a GREAT place to get used clubs CHEAP is at tag sales around your area. I know most people think tag sales are trash, but rich people are constantly buying new club sets, and selling their older ones (that are hardly used and very good quality) for cheap. I just bought an almost-new set of Ping clubs, everythign but a driver, for 60 dollars! If you're a beginner, definitely a good place to look.

wtf is a tag sale? i've never heard of that.

junkerman123

Golden Member
Jul 4, 2003
Originally posted by: purbeast0

wtf is a tag sale? i've never heard of that.

It's like a garage sale, might be new englander lingo, my apologies.

YetioDoom

Platinum Member
Dec 12, 2001

Is a tag sale a garage sale?