Golf games for PS4?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Does anyone play them here? Are they any good? If so, which one is the one to get? I see there's a Rory McIlroy and The Golf Club

I always enjoyed firing up Tiger Woods on the X360 years ago, and sort of miss the "calmness" of playing a gold game.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Rory is the new face of EA's games, so no more Tiger Woods games.

Hot Shots Golf is supposed to come out this summer. I hope it's as good as the part 5 was on PS3 (not part 6, the vita port, that wasn't as good).

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/09/tgs_2016_new_hot_shots_golf_tees_off_next_summer_on_ps4

HSG: Out of Bounds was the best golf game I had played since probably Tiger Woods in like 2004 back on original Xbox.

Yeah I'm aware Rory is the new Tiger. I have seen the HSG out there before, but that looked more "arcadish" than a "serious" gold game. Or am I mistaken and thrown off by the cutsie avatars?

Edit: Read link. Seems arcadey, but still looks good.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
HSG "looks" arcade'ish and has some arcade'ish features, but the actual golf engine in it is much better than tiger woods.

I mean Tiger Woods has never been "realistic" or anything. It's more of just realistic in it's graphics with an arcade style gameplay. And it's gotten more and more arcade'ish as the game went on. Driving the ball almost 400 yards and scoring -27 regularly just isn't quite realistic golf.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
HSG "looks" arcade'ish and has some arcade'ish features, but the actual golf engine in it is much better than tiger woods.

I mean Tiger Woods has never been "realistic" or anything. It's more of just realistic in it's graphics with an arcade style gameplay. And it's gotten more and more arcade'ish as the game went on. Driving the ball almost 400 yards and scoring -27 regularly just isn't quite realistic golf.

LOL yeah. Last I played was TW on the 360 and, as you said, no matter what you could shoot double digits under par with your eyes closed.
I guess I will wait to see more on HSG (though I wish it was out sooner). I just wanted something to compliment playing MLB The Show which is pretty much the only thing I ever play.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Also don't bother with The Golf Club IMO. I played it and was glad I didn't buy it. I think they focused too much on the course creation(which is a bit buggy anyway) and social aspect and the actual game just isn't fun. The short game is the worst because it requires you to be too precise. There's no margin for error which you might think is ok but think about putting when there is no distance reticle and having to aim via analog that is 100% unforgiving on being even a hair off target. So looking at your shot, you can't figure out whether you needed to aim further to the right or left, use less power or if the analog stick was .05deg less than perfectly centered. You fight the simulation aspect just a little too much.

Lil Frier

Platinum Member
Oct 3, 2013
The Golf Club had depth problems, where it was simply "can you use the right stick?" There was no progression, and customization was incredibly limited. It was enjoyable, until you hit the brick wall of progression, which is just getting consistent with accuracy on drives. Just not much to separate play styles or abilities. However, The Golf Club 2 is out soon, and adds some of the missing depth, like a progression-based career mode (which Rory did an atrocious job with): http://www.gamingunion.net/news/133...leases-this-spring-gets-a-first-look-trailer/

Rory looks good, really good. It has alternatives to the lame, tap-reliant play style of the past. However, its greatest sin is content. You have, like, a dozen courses. The career mode has automated progression and is a rotation of a few events on the same few courses. It's like Forza Motorsport 5, but even MORE devoid of content variety. It's a solid core, but with just so little to do. Imagine if MLB The Show made Road to the Show incredibly automated with progression, made you just grin against the same 3 teams every game, and couldn't even let you have facial hair (a serious thing in player creation in Rory).