Golden eagle killing an adult caribou.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cold Steel

Dec 23, 2007
Originally posted by: dennilfloss
I wonder if they are the same subspecies as what we call the brown eagle in Canada. Looks like some brave folks are using them in falconry.:shocked:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Eagle

I went to a school of falconry in England. The guy who ran the school had a golden eagle. It's hard to appreciate how really damn big they are until you hold one on your arm. I saw him fly the thing to a lure, too. Pretty awesome based on size. But the Peregrine falcon was a LOT faster.

I had my own Goshawk after I went to that school. Lot of fun. Lot of work. Very impressive to see them fly. Very impressive.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
I don't know which species is worse, you don't see them fucking each other over for a god damned percentage.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
Originally posted by: m0mentary
Golden Eagle in action

Text

Text

lmao. read some of the bleeding-heart comments on the first video. Take this one, for example:

"It is sick. Reminds me alot of what the chinese do with dropping cows out of dump trucks to get savagely murdered by tigers for money and entertainment. Chinese are not human, they are monsters and anybody that wants to debate that needs to see those videos. They are truly sick people. Deeply disturbed.

Oh and fuck the people who did this to the deer. Dont tell me they just happened to have their cameras on and they caught this."

:shocked::laugh:

Wow. As a bleeding-heart liberal myself, I would totally willing to sic an eagle on that waste of carbon.

flxnimprtmscl

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Prism
Listen. And understand. That golden eagle is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Damn, what was that from? It's driving me nuts now.

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl
Listen. And understand. That golden eagle is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

The Terminator.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
Originally posted by: flxnimprtmscl

I'll give you a hint: it was NOT from Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour.

Edit: Way to ruin it ShotgunSteven :(

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Cold Steel
I wonder if they are the same subspecies as what we call the brown eagle in Canada. Looks like some brave folks are using them in falconry.:shocked:

It's hard to appreciate how really damn big they are until you hold one on your arm.

It's like 10 pounds of dead weight just sitting on your arm. War Eagle VI ("Tiger") caused more than a few stress fractures to my fellow trainers and I still have a scar in the crook of my arm where she footed me.

I'm the guy kneeling on the left in the blue shirt.
Me holding Tiger at an Auburn game
Me holding Tiger at an Auburn game (again)

Cold Steel

Dec 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Feldenak
[
It's like 10 pounds of dead weight just sitting on your arm. War Eagle VI ("Tiger") caused more than a few stress fractures to my fellow trainers and I still have a scar in the crook of my arm where she footed me.

Holy Sh*t. I never expected to meet another falconer on here. Cool.

Yeah. They are damn big birds and it takes some arm conditioning to hold one for any length of time. Even my four pound Gos made my arm tired after a while in the field.

I studied falconry under Philip Glasier
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/f...ec=&spon=&pagewanted=1

at the Falconry Centre, since renamed the National Birds of Prey Centre.
http://www.nbpc.co.uk/

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
I read somewhere that they dug up an ancient human-type skull and thought that we might have been prey for eagles at one point.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
Originally posted by: Cold Steel

It's hard to appreciate how really damn big they are until you hold one on your arm.

In the first pic, are those LSU cheerleaders?