Going with Noctua C14 instead of Corsair AIO in Ncase M1

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Fitting the Corsair H100i V1 AIO into the Ncase M1 chassis has been a hassle. I'm going to use instead the Noctua C14 HSF for the i7-6700k. (should have it by Wednesday)

I also have 2 Vardar F4-120ER and 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans as well. I don't have the slim Noctua 92mm. I probably will not OC the i7-6700k CPU. And I have the nVidia 1080-FE model (exhausts air out)... and no traditional hard drives either, just an SSD.

So, with what I have for fans and the components I'm using, is there an ideal setup for the cooling for this very small Mini-ITX case? ( https://www.ncases.com/ )

Last edited:

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Did you fully decide against the H100i or are you still on the fence? The H100i isn't difficult at all to use in the NCase once you figure out the "trick" to it (in terms of mounting orientation and how you'll want to twist the lines). I can see how it would be daunting at first but if someone were to show you once, you'd have that "Ohh!" moment.

If you've decided to roll with air, I'd mount the Varders as intake on the bottom (mount the SSD on the inside front panel - optionally, sell it or use it elsewhere and grab yourself and M.2 drive and not fool with those SATA cables altogether) and use the Noctuas as exhaust on the side panel.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Did you fully decide against the H100i or are you still on the fence? The H100i isn't difficult at all to use in the NCase once you figure out the "trick" to it (in terms of mounting orientation and how you'll want to twist the lines). I can see how it would be daunting at first but if someone were to show you once, you'd have that "Ohh!" moment.

If you've decided to roll with air, I'd mount the Varders as intake on the bottom (mount the SSD on the inside front panel - optionally, sell it or use it elsewhere and grab yourself and M.2 drive and not fool with those SATA cables altogether) and use the Noctuas as exhaust on the side panel.

Thx for response.

The big nVidia 1080-FE (blows air out of case) blocks the bottom of the case. I don't know if your suggested fans below the vid card would be effective at getting air in there(?). Maybe just the Vardar's as exhaust on the side panel... ?

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I would definitely have intake fans. If you're unable to use the bottom due to clearance issues, use the side panel as intake. Let the GPU and natural venting of the top panel exhaust the warm air. If the temps are unacceptable, you can try then as exhaust, air cooling the CPU leaves me uncertain as to which would be best. All intake, no forced exhaust worked well for me with the H100i

Last edited:

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Thanks.

Whether I use 2 120mm fans on the side panel for exhaust or intake, I was considering the Noctua slim 92mm fan as exhaust on the back of the case as well.

Also, I would only use one 120mm fan (prob a Vardar) on the Noctua C14 heat sink.