Going to swap HSF... never done this before...

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
Hi all...

At the moment i have the cheapest HSF money can buy (an Akasa one) for my AMD3000+ which is OCed to 2450MHz... anyway temps are not too bad 32C idle 53C load

But,

I managed to buy an New Unused X2 3800+ Stock Copper Heatpipe (£13 from eBay!!) that has been getting great reviews and figure as soon as it arrives i'll swap them over :p

However, have never done this before so was wanting a few hints n tips... my current HSF has not been on for that long... about 4 months and i just used the grey thermal grease stuff that came on it!

1) Assume this needs to be removed... rubbing alcohol? (UK source???)

2) Am i much better off applying a thermal compound like Arctic Silver stuff??

3) Am i going to have to dismantle PC components or can this be done in case / just by removing CPU???

Thanks a lot guys

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
A few steps.

1) Remove your Akasa heatsink.
2) Clean off the thermal compound on the Akasa heatsink with high purity rubbing alcohol or ArctiClean.
3) Remove the CPU.
4) Clean off the thermal compound on the heat spreader with rubbing alcohol (on a lint-free cloth) or ArctiClean.
5) Clean off the thermal compound on the AMD heatsink with rubbing alcohol or ArctiClean.
6) Apply Arctic Silver 5 to the heat spreader as per http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Arctic Silver 5 does offer lower temps over generic thermal compound. I've never installed the new AMD heatpipe HSF so I wouldn't know about your 3rd question.

Skyhanger

Jul 16, 2005
I think that was a misqoute on his part. I'm pretty sure he got an AMD heatpipe heat sink.

Those are standard w/ all the dual core opterons, FX series, and the X2 series, with the exception of the 3800+ X2.

I'm very sure its designed to mount onto a generic AMD 939/754 mount.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
use gloves (latex, not your ski gloves) so you don't leave your oil/fingerprints on the HSF or cpu.

edit: coffee filters can be used as cheap lint-free cloths

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
nice 1 RKS....

1 final question.... is there a noticeable difference between Arctic Silver Thermal Compound... and 'Generic' (Cheaper) Stuff... as you can see from my sig my system is not exactly cutting edge so is the price preium worth it for Atctic Silver???

Thanks again u guys and girls

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: RKS
use gloves (latex, not your ski gloves) so you don't leave your oil/fingerprints on the HSF or cpu.

edit: coffee filters can be used as cheap lint-free cloths
If you wear latex gloves, don't get the powdered ones.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: crazylegs
nice 1 RKS....

1 final question.... is there a noticeable difference between Arctic Silver Thermal Compound... and 'Generic' (Cheaper) Stuff... as you can see from my sig my system is not exactly cutting edge so is the price preium worth it for Atctic Silver???

Thanks again u guys and girls
Arctic Silver 5 isn't exactly expensive. Besides, one tube will probably last you a lifetime. And yes, there is a noticeable difference, though some generic compounds are better than others.

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
cool...

wasnt sure how long the stuff lasted for once u open tube !!!

seen sum akasa stuff that got really good review... and can pick it up locally rather than inet... sure it'll b good for me !

crazylegs

Sep 30, 2005
lets play: 'Guess What the Temperature Difference is Going to be....??'

Current Idle = 31C

Current Load = 53C

What u reckon guys n girls???

Allio

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2002
Seeing my 3200+ at 2.6ghz with a stock aluminium heatsink gets down to about 40-42 load on a cold day... I'd imagine you'll get a substantial drop :)

Edit: didn't realise you posted 3 days ago, what were the results?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Hi all...

At the moment i have the cheapest HSF money can buy (an Akasa one) for my AMD3000+ which is OCed to 2450MHz... anyway temps are not too bad 32C idle 53C load

But,

I managed to buy an New Unused X2 3800+ Stock Copper Heatpipe (£13 from eBay!!) that has been getting great reviews and figure as soon as it arrives i'll swap them over :p

However, have never done this before so was wanting a few hints n tips... my current HSF has not been on for that long... about 4 months and i just used the grey thermal grease stuff that came on it!

3) Am i going to have to dismantle PC components or can this be done in case / just by removing CPU???

Thanks a lot guys

AS5 will make no difference in your temperatures....
Some people say YES...others like me say NO!!......so who do you believe....you could try AS5 wouldn`t hurt anything...but then again why pay for AS5 if you already have a good thermal compound?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Hi all...

But,

Thanks a lot guys

AS5 will make no difference in your temperatures....
Some people say YES...others like me say NO!!......so who do you believe....you could try AS5 wouldn`t hurt anything...but then again ehy pay for AS5 if you already have a good thermal compound?
http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/cooling/arctic_silver5/index_5.shtml
http://overklokking.no/annet/arctic_silver_5/eindex3.html
http://www.pcsynapse.com/reviews.php?verify=14
http://www.modsynergy.com/review109.htm
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&artpage=472&articID=121
http://www.mikhailtech.com/modules.php?...Articles&rop=showcontent&id=128&page=3
http://www.xtremeresources.com/modules....ile=index&req=showcontent&id=27&page=3

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I have links to all those sites.....yet.....
People post on this and other sites they saw no difference in there temps when using any AS product....
Other have posted astounding results......

I have used AS5 running strict comparison tests using botht my XP 120 and my Zalman 9500. With AS5 and with the Thermal compound that shipped with the heatsink.
The thermal compound that shipped with the heatsinks was NOT AS5.

Why no difference in the the temps?
Even after the burn in period of over 200hrs no difference in the temps...sorry....

The bottom line is I used the thermal compount that shipped with the various heatsink that I have bought over the last 2 years....
No difference in temps using AS5 verses what was shipped with the heatsinks.
In fact in one review is states--

If you are looking for the edge and you?re still using the generic goop, then you have to get yourself some special thermal compound, that much is clear.

another review states--
It improved every so slightly but every bit counts -- possibly the improvement was neglegible which often happens.--my words

Then again why would zalman or ThermalRight or ThermalTake or any other top notch company send just a tube of low quality gray or pink gooop?

I will give you one thing...yes there are crappy thermal pastes on the market.
But with that said-- if everybody who has ever used an AS product said it was the best ever then I would have to say you are right.
Reviews are nothing more than guidelines to attempts to help you make your purchase.
First hand experiences from various members of all forums good or bad will always be the best review.

:)

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Then again why would zalman or ThermalRight or ThermalTake or any other top notch company send just a tube of low quality gray or pink gooop?
To cut costs.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Howard
To cut costs.

Sorry Howard but thats just not even the case.....to cut costs?????????
On what is arguably as important a component as the heatsink?
if zalman was to ship a pink goop and the temps after instal were crappy who would get blamed??
Not the thermal paste used thats for sure. It would be a direct reflection on the company and the Heatsink...

Its nice to have all the answer..so you think...but trust me when I tell you I have heatsinks from all what I would say are the top 5 heatsinks on the market today....
None of them shipped with a pink or grey goop....

As always personnal experiences are more preferable than a regulated rest of a product in a review.

It you think about that statement in and of itself -- To cut costs -- is pretty silly!!

Not all companies are afraid to charge a fair price for there product and ship good quality thermal paste or other items that are needed for installation of there products!!

AS5-- overrated..plain and simple.

HO

May 23, 2000
THIS is the best thermal interface material on the face of the planet. Makes AS5 look like something you scraped off your shoe.

jniles

Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: HO
THIS is the best thermal interface material on the face of the planet. Makes AS5 look like something you scraped off your shoe.

looks interesting if only we could get it in the US

Skyhanger

Jul 16, 2005
Originally posted by: jniles
Originally posted by: HO

looks interesting if only we could get it in the US

It will also dissolve your alumminum heatsink into a slag of corroded metal. You should see photos of it eating its way through a Zalman 7700-AlCu... its pretty cool actually.

HO

May 23, 2000
Originally posted by: jniles: looks interesting if only we could get it in the US

You can order direct via paypal. It also shows up on ebay. And the point about incompatibility w/aluminum is no joke.