Going to see a used car with a friend

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
We obviously have to tell the person we're buying the car from. (its an '00 Civic, no frills no air, no power anything) He just needs a simple reliable car, with really good gas mileage (hence the manual transmission). I am looking for someone (who knows to drive a manual) to come but the two I asked so far are busy at the time we're scheduled to go.

What should I do, go there and tell the seller and ask if we can try? Or have the seller drive and listen to the engine, watch for any transmission slipping, etc.... ?

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Don't ask to try. You will fail and it will be bad. Have the seller drive you around if he is willing, otherwise find a different car to test-drive.

EstimateMe

Oct 22, 2006
Step 1: All of you turn in your Man Cards.

Step 2: Take your friend to the VW dealer so that he can buy an automatic VW Beetle.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Sluggo
watch for any transmission slipping

Good luck seeing that

I dont know, it was very easy to notice the tranmission slipping in my moms '03 Galant when i wasnt driving, Im guessing manual cars wouldnt have the same feel then eh? I should really get some quick lessons before....

Aftermath

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2003
I say let the guy drive it for you. It should be pretty easy to spot any significant trouble signs in something that new, especially being a Civic.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: BullyCanadian

Good luck seeing that

I dont know, it was very easy to notice the tranmission slipping in my moms '03 Galant when i wasnt driving, Im guessing manual cars wouldnt have the same feel then eh? I should really get some quick lessons before....

lol...manual transmissions don't slip like auto's would. get a clue and read a little about what you are talking about before you post.

BullyCanadian

Platinum Member
May 4, 2003
Originally posted by: DainBramaged

Good luck seeing that

lol...manual transmissions don't slip like auto's would. get a clue and read a little about what you are talking about before you post.

well a slip would be when the RPM's go up and the car doesnt respond in momentum while in gear... How would that be hard to detect?

and also having the car standing still and puttin the clutch into say 4th and if i am able to realease the clutch without the car stalling than basically the clutch is toast no?

Rogodin2

Banned
Jul 2, 2003
Holy sheltered manless helmet!

Don't learn stick on a TEST DRIVE!!

;)

He's going to destroy the clutch anyways. Find a $100 civic.

Rogo

jhayx7

Platinum Member
Oct 1, 2005
Its not rocket science. I learned to drive stick while detailing cars when I was 14. Just find an empty parking lot and drive in circles until you can go, brake, stop, start without killing the car.

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: DainBramaged

Good luck seeing that

well a slip would be when the RPM's go up and the car doesnt respond in momentum while in gear... How would that be hard to detect?

and also having the car standing still and puttin the clutch into say 4th and if i am able to realease the clutch without the car stalling than basically the clutch is toast no?

Wow... Just... wow.... Stick to your autos lady.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

Well, yes, but how will you tell if the clutch is just marginal?

Chances are that a newish car like that has an OK clutch, unless the previous owner had really bad habits about driving manual transmissions.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jagec

Chances are that a newish car like that has an OK clutch, unless the previous owner had really bad habits about driving manual transmissions.
Wow. One clueless cretin advising another. Just, wow. :roll:

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
Originally posted by: jhayx7
Its not rocket science. I learned to drive stick while detailing cars when I was 14. Just find an empty parking lot and drive in circles until you can go, brake, stop, start without killing the car.

and just how do you manage to take the "manual car" to an empty parking lot when you want to "learn" on how to drive a manual ? :confused:

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: jagec

Wow. One clueless cretin advising another. Just, wow. :roll:

I beg your pardon? What was wrong with what I posted?

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
I bought my brand new subaru with only marginal experience (a couple times years past in friend's old sentra) and within a week was taking it to work every day.

Of course my bike is manually shifted just with the controls in different spots, so iono if thats a good or bad thing to learn to drive a manual car.

EDIT: I don't see anything wrong with him asking for help. Why don't any of you guys earn your man cards by helping them out and giving them a couple lessons in return for lunch and beers?

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
EDIT: I don't see anything wrong with him asking for help. Why don't any of you guys earn your man cards by helping them out and giving them a couple lessons in return for lunch and beers?

You can't teach someone to drive a manual over the internet. It's something you genuinely need to get a "feel" for, there's nothing we can tell him here. Everyone knows the principal behind driving - Slowly apply the throttle and release the clutch, etc. But knowing how to do it and actually being proficient are two very different things.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
Originally posted by: Kelvrick

You can't teach someone to drive a manual over the internet. It's something you genuinely need to get a "feel" for, there's nothing we can tell him here. Everyone knows the principal behind driving - Slowly apply the throttle and release the clutch, etc. But knowing how to do it and actually being proficient are two very different things.

Just don't see the point in the bashing since its not that hard. Although I'll stop defending him, since I like bashing people too.