Going to New York for a day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
More specifically Manhattan. I'll be going next Saturday, getting there early morning, meeting someone (shouldn't be glued together all day) and taking off by 8pm. A total of roughly 12 hours.

It's been over 10 years since I've last been, and I'm just hoping to make a quick fly through. I'm planning to go to the MET for a few hours, check out Wall street, Central Park, 2 meals, and just random exploring.

So, could anyone fill me in on any areas to avoid even during daylight hours alone? And are there some interesting areas/places to visit?

Thanks!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I can't think of anywhere in NYC that I'd purposefully avoid during daylight hours except maybe all of midtown.

Dec 10, 2005
I can't think of where you could wander off in those areas that would be bad to walk around during the day.

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Just don't be an idiot, if you feel uncomfortable leave and go somewhere that feels safer.

If you like art or history you need to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. They have some of the most impressive and famous art on American soil, suits of armor, Egyptian artifacts, and even an Egyptian temple. It's an amazing place.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Definately going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Looks like it'll be my "go to" before hauling ass to Penn Station. Also heard that someone at work went there 3 days in a row and still didn't make it through everything.

Good to hear there aren't major bad areas. Everything I'm interested in is within walking distance; yes, 6 miles is walking distance for me if I'm exploring.

bdude

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2004
Meals
Asian fusion, fatty crab on the lower west side is hands down the bomb, make sure to ask for the recession special

Italian, head over to little italy, lot of little cafes and such...also host to the oldest pizzaria in the us

Chinese, chinatown is right next to little italy

Americana, best burgers imo are at shake shack which is right next to the flat iron in a park

To do..

rub the bulls nuts on wall street for good luck
top of the empire state building
buy a cool tshirt at century 21, best discount clothing store in ny
apple store on 5th ave
stop by union square station, usually some interesting buskers are going to be playing some music in the station
take a walk around union square
southseaport, right past wall street, take a gander at the statue of liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.