Going to Hong Kong and Singapore for vacation

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
A friend of mine moved to HK for a job and I will be visiting him in a couple of weeks.
any suggestions what I should see? Any recommendations?

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
in HK, you want bar, clubs, computer shops, touris-y area.... and how many days you have in HK?

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: andylawcc
in HK, you want bar, clubs, computer shops, touris-y area.... and how many days you have in HK?

The whole trip is going to be a little over a week and a half.
3 days singapore ... the rest in HK.

Currently planning to do the following:
- do a junk ride
- go to the beach (apparently there are some really nice beaches only approx 1 hour from HK)
- see Victoria Peak
- see Lam Kuai Fong Street
- shop at Pacific place mall
- get a suit tailored (I am bringing a suit for them to copy since I heard from multiple people that they otherwise botcher it up)

- massage parlor ;-)

UncleWai

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2001
Coming from LA to HK to go to beach is a bad idea.... really bad idea.... stick with Huntington Beach.
Definitely go to Mong Kok and just browse around the area. You won't see anything like it in the US.
If you are into hiking, you should go Lantau Island, or Lemma Island.
Go Lantau Island to see http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TianTanBuddha_01.jpg
Too bad one of the empty cable cars to there fell off earlier and it's out of commission. You now have to take bus to get there.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
well, beaches in HK are not inferior to US's, they are just... different. ;)

you can take the open-top, double-decker bus from Central to Victoria Peak;
after you are done, take the 'vertical' tram thing back down to Pacific Place.
walk around, have lunch in the food court if you will (to experience what 'crowded' means in HK).
Lan Kwai Fong is 15 minute walking distance from Pacific Place. If you don't wanna get lost, take the Tram towards Central area (westbound).
check out the famous Chui Wah restaurant in Lan Kwai Fong. Their fish soup noodle is great and open 24 hours.
For Dim Sum, i can't think of the best of the best. But the ones in Lee Theatre Center (14-18 floors are all Dim Sum restaurants) and Times Square (Floor 11-13) are very solid choices. Times Square and Lee Theatre Center are located in Causeway Bay.

and as mentioned, MongKok has a computer center building (you find some stuff cheaper in HK, but not by much). That building is located right next to the famous "Lady's Market." No, it's a not whore house; it's just a long narrow street with ppl selling a bunch of gizmo and gadgets, kinda like a swap meet.

also, another place you can visit and burn time is Tsim Sha Tsui, just another tourist area, so 1-2 hours will do. Walk along Nathan Road and take the ferry back to HK side.

mind you, the first thing you should do is visit the tailor because it will take some time for them to finish.

and PM you about the MPs

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
I have not been since the Brits leased HK...

In HK, Kowloon:

If you have to wear ties, buy them in Kowloon. Last time I was there, $1USD for silk ties. Buy a bunch and no freaking deal if you ruin it. Stonewashed silk shirts were $10 USD. While thin, cheaper than t-shirts and softer than kittens. Look at the horsehair wallets too. Mine lasted years after. You can get a good eelskin one too. Check out the McDonald's at the Star Ferry. Just so you can see soup on a McD's menu. Best duck is at the Spring Deer in Kowloon.

Singapore:
They changed the name, but Newton Circus is now Newton Vendor Market or such. If you like crab and like spicy, Chili Crab here is WORLD Class food! Go just to see the large lobsters ($$$). The zoo had Snow Leopards IIRC, which are even rare for zoos to have. If you like plants, there is an orchid place and the Chinese/Japanese Garden. All of this is easily reached on the train, which is a marvel. Cleanest you will ever see and stops exactly on the marks. Also marvel at the lack of cigarette butts at every stoplight. It takes 20 minutes from plane to taxi at the airport.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
Hey guys.
thank you so much for the awesome tavel advice.
I will make sure to do all of that.
Can't wait to go there.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Some guides to Singapore: Spit on the street, don't flush the toilet, and spray paint some cars. The locals will absolutely love you :D

edit:

Seriously though, go visit hong kong island... it's amazing.