Going to finally pull the trigger

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Here's what I'm going to finally bite the bullet and buy tomorrow.

From BHPhoto.com
Canon 40D $1249.99
Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS $1474.00
Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS $854.00
Canon 580EXII Speedlight $339.95
Lowepro Dryzone 200 backpack $269.95
Canon EW-83J Lens Hood for 17-55mm $49.95
Canon EF 50mm F1.8 $69.95
Canon 52mm UV filter $10.95
B+W plastic filter case $5.95
Canon LP1219 Soft Lens Case $31.95
Canon Lens Cleaning Kit $5.95
Impact Micro fiber 18% gray cloth $6.95
Shipping: $46.30
Total $4415.84

From HVStar.net
B+W Filter Kit MRC UV ALLOY & MRC SLIM CPL Polarizing Filter 77mm $172.50
B+W 77mm MRC UV 010 Filter NEW F-PRO Multi-Coated Alloy $49.00
Shipping $27.70

Total $249.20

Grand total $4665, $335 under my budget.

I have a good tripod already, although I want to get a monopod. I want to check them out first before I go jumping on one. I also plan to get the battery grip and extra batteries. I also need a couple extra CF cards. With Christmas upcoming, I decided to hold off so that I can put a couple of those smaller items on my Christmas list.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Holy crap there were additional coupon codes on the web for additional savings at B&H. I got everything except the camera and filters there. I would have ordered the 40D, but they were out of stock.

New prices updated above!

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Make sure that 77mm B&W CPL is the MRC version. Why don't you just get that 52mm Canon UV filter from hvstar? Just because it's a Canon brand filter doesn't necessarily mean it'll be better than Hoya Pro1/SHMC or B&W MRC.

I would ditch the Canon LP1219 Soft Lens Case for now. If you have the Dryzone you shouldn't need an extra case, and if you do need an extra case, grab something like a Lowepro Sliplock case or something from Think Tank: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html
The TT belts are pretty cool because the lens cases can actually slide along the belt itself (TT calls it "rotating.") http://www.thinktankphoto.com/...product_StrdSpdBlt.php

I have a ton of soft lens cases and I have never, ever used them.

I'm confused on why you're getting the Lowepro Dryzone. I thought you're going backpacking with this setup? It's hard to put a backpack ON your backpacking backpack.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Don't understand why you got the filter cases, since you get a free one at HVStar.net. Plus don't you need a step down ring from 77mm to 52mm?

Overall thats awesome! I wish I had that type of budget!!!

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Jawo
Don't understand why you got the filter cases, since you get a free one at HVStar.net. Plus don't you need a step down ring from 77mm to 52mm?

Overall thats awesome! I wish I had that type of budget!!!

I got a 52mm UV filter for just the 50mm lens.

I plan to wear the dryzone backpack on my front, because everything else will be on my back. I also will be in the Caribbean in July and don't want anything to happen.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
Make sure that 77mm B&W CPL is the MRC version. Why don't you just get that 52mm Canon UV filter from hvstar? Just because it's a Canon brand filter doesn't necessarily mean it'll be better than Hoya Pro1/SHMC or B&W MRC.

I would ditch the Canon LP1219 Soft Lens Case for now. If you have the Dryzone you shouldn't need an extra case, and if you do need an extra case, grab something like a Lowepro Sliplock case or something from Think Tank: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_products.html
The TT belts are pretty cool because the lens cases can actually slide along the belt itself (TT calls it "rotating.") http://www.thinktankphoto.com/...product_StrdSpdBlt.php

I have a ton of soft lens cases and I have never, ever used them.

I'm confused on why you're getting the Lowepro Dryzone. I thought you're going backpacking with this setup? It's hard to put a backpack ON your backpacking backpack.

The B+W filters are the ones your recommended me, and the CPL is the slim one. I couldn't find a 52mm filter on that site. Thanks for the tips! And that website is dirt cheap!

Edit: BTW, I ordered everything but the camera last night because I found the extra coupons and wanted to make sure I could use them.

soydios

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2006
Use that $335 extra for a battery grip. Battery life isn't so much the problem, it's the faster continuous shooting speed and better balance with the pro lenses like the 70-200/2.8 and 17-55/2.8. Trust me, I just shot sports last night with my D50 and 70-200/2.8, and the camera is really front-heavy.

EDIT: I just read what you said about the battery grip and CF cards. :thumbsup:
A monopod is handy for sports, obviously. A decent one seems to run ~$40, but a Bogen/Manfrotto would be a little more.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: soydios
Use that $335 extra for a battery grip. Battery life isn't so much the problem, it's the faster continuous shooting speed and better balance with the pro lenses like the 70-200/2.8 and 17-55/2.8. Trust me, I just shot sports last night with my D50 and 70-200/2.8, and the camera is really front-heavy.

EDIT: I just read what you said about the battery grip and CF cards. :thumbsup:
A monopod is handy for sports, obviously. A decent one seems to run ~$40, but a Bogen/Manfrotto would be a little more.

Care to recommend me a good monopod for the Christmas list? I'm 6'5"

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: soydios
You'll be crouching with the monopod, or any tripod. I'm 6 feet, and I still have to. Here's a decent-looking monopod that I've found (I use Nikon, it's Canon, I really don't care):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
It isn't a Bogen/Manfrotto, but I don't own any exotic superteles.

I think I'm going to go with a Manfrotto. Those look nice, plus with the big lenses I have, I need something to support the extra weight.

I'm headed to Nepal in March, and it would make a good walking stick too :)