Going to a private school, like DeVry and also going to regular college?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I am going to college right now but I am interested if it is good to also go to a school like DeVry. I am interested if such private schools have decent value in the eyes of employers.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: raildogg
I am going to college right now but I am interested if it is good to also go to a school like DeVry. I am interested if such private schools have decent value in the eyes of employers.

Negative. They are expensive, and employers don't value them at all.

WombRaider

Banned
Jun 21, 2007
Why would you want to go to DeVry? Just go to a community college and transfer out after 2 years.

I think most employers don't care what school you went to. Obviously Ivy leagues don't count.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Dacalo

I've hired DeVry students before and I find them smarter and more hard working than the average college/university grads. I see it as 2 reasons:

1. Devry grads usually worked and went to school full time, which means the hunger for advancement. they aren't the usual mommy and daddy paid college/univ. grads. so they have more maturity.

2. Devry grads learn no fluff, such as forced english and math classes...etc. they take only courses related to their field so their classes are more concentrated than traditional univ. I find that they come out more focused.

that is just my observation and experience, I am sure there are plenty of traditional college/univ grads who far excel over devry grads, but in general though, no.

also, devry grads are cheaper...so why not get a cheaper, but better worker? ;)

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: FreshPrince

I've hired DeVry students before and I find them smarter and more hard working than the average college/university grads. I see it as 2 reasons:

1. Devry grads usually worked and went to school full time, which means the hunger for advancement. they aren't the usual mommy and daddy paid college/univ. grads. so they have more maturity.

2. Devry grads learn no fluff, such as forced english and math classes...etc. they take only courses related to their field so their classes are more concentrated than traditional univ. I find that they come out more focused.

that is just my observation and experience, I am sure there are plenty of traditional college/univ grads who far excel over devry grads, but in general though, no.

:thumbsup:

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

aka - don't go to devry, you'll get paid less.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

Have you trolled the forums lately to get an idea for how poorly people tend to communicate in English these days? Or, for all intensive purposes, do you just take it for granite that there loosing the War on Illiteracy in school these days?

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Kadarin

Have you trolled the forums lately to get an idea for how poorly people tend to communicate in English these days? Or, for all intensive purposes, do you just take it for granite that there loosing the War on Illiteracy in school these days?

why learn english when we need to be educated on, like, the iraq, and the children in south africa and such as

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20

why learn english when we need to be educated on, like, the iraq, and the children in south africa and such as

/head asplodes

SViper

Feb 17, 2005

BTW, it's "for all intents and purposes."

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: SViper

It is???

Damnit.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Your point is what? I see tons of speling and serious grameratical errers made by peeples with koledge deegrees evry dai.

One of my best friends has an E.E. degree...and kan't spell for shit...he makes a point of telling people (like me :D) who harass him about it that his degree is in E.E., NOT English...

On another note, my vocational rehab program is talking about pulling me out of the Community College I've been in since January, partially because the program I'm in isn't designed to be a vocational training program, but rather, to give the skills and education needed to transfer to a "4 or 5 year university" like Cal-Poly or UC Berkely. (apparently, their architecture programs are 5 years, not 4 )
I MAY end up attending Heald College for accounting/bookkeeping classes, which should make me employable after the 18 months. Plus, I already have many of my general education requirements at the CC out of the way, and they should transfer to Heald and shorten my time to get their degree...
I spent an afternoon recently talking to "headhunters" and employment services about the viability of a Heald College education. Every one of them said they had more success getting Heald grads jobs than they did grads from the local CC's...more intense and focused training, less "fluff" as mentioned above, and at the same or higher salary than the CC grads. Yes, a dedicated BS in accounting would be better, and garner a bit more $$$, but since that's NOT an option for me, I have to take what I'm offered. A 2 year degree is the MAX my program will authorize.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001

That's ludacris. I think your rediculously misinformed...

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: BoomerD

Your point is what? I see tons of speling and serious grameratical errers made by peeples with koledge deegrees evry dai.

One of my best friends has an E.E. degree...and kan't spell for shit...he makes a point of telling people (like me :D) who harass him about it that his degree is in E.E., NOT English...

learning english is not just about spelling, grammar, and syntaxes...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

That's ludacris. I think your rediculously misinformed...

can we take it for granite than it's rediculous? Personelly, I beleive that we are loosing the war in Eye-rak because, for all intensive purposes, we were led by someone who thinks speling liek this is just riet.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
BoomerD...you do realize that engineers have to communicate with others, right? If not in emails/letters to co workers and superiors, there is an entire field known as technical writing. The proposal for my senior design project last year was over 100 pages long...and that's for a relatively school project, the proposals for "real" engineering projects are THOUSANDS of pages. Of "writing". In "English".

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Deeko
BoomerD...you do realize that engineers have to communicate with others, right? If not in emails/letters to co workers and superiors, there is an entire field known as technical writing. The proposal for my senior design project last year was over 100 pages long...and that's for a relatively school project, the proposals for "real" engineering projects are THOUSANDS of pages. Of "writing". In "English".

That makes perfectly good sense to me. I am constantly amazed at how bad the English, (punctuation, grammar and spelling) of college grads is these days. Hell, as poorly as many of them write, I can't believe these people are graduating from High School. ;)

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
You won't be taken serious if you did DeVry. Sure, there may be exceptions and bright students who went to DeVry and turned out great. But if DeVry consistently churned excellent kids wouldn't people be the wiser and all went to DeVry?

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I am personally sick of major universities turning into the social and politically elite hubs of the US.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000

Published engineering journal papers seem to be exempt from this rule. Many contain a few blatant typos. ;)

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD

That makes perfectly good sense to me. I am constantly amazed at how bad the English, (punctuation, grammar and spelling) of college grads is these days. Hell, as poorly as many of them write, I can't believe these people are graduating from High School. ;)

I went to both ITT and a state university. We had courses in communication and correspondence at ITT. It was actually quite informative compared to the forced reqs that go along with a science degree.