Going for job interview need tips on some things...

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
As stated, I am up for an interview for a job working on yachts installing networking equipment. Friend who recommended me, says that the job entails getting the network to run over various cabling environments: Dualaxe, Triaxe, AUI, & Ethernet using TCP/IP and Multicasting.

Anyone know anything about any of these and can post me some tips on it?

All help is appreciated.
Thanks,
~wnied~

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: wnied
As stated, I am up for an interview for a job working on yachts installing networking equipment. Friend who recommended me, says that the job entails getting the network to run over various cabling environments: Dualaxe, Triaxe, AUI, & Ethernet using TCP/IP and Multicasting.

Anyone know anything about any of these and can post me some tips on it?

Dualaxe? Hah! That's funny! :p

Twinax is the term to be using, and I'll even provide you with a nice link HERE

And if you don't know what IBM System/36 and AS/400 systems are, then you definitely shouldn't be applying for that job. It's been a long time since I've seen twinax cable, but I don't work in a heavily IBM environment. And until you mentioned it, I'd not even known there are "triaxial" cable, but knowing IBM, I'm not surprised that they'd stick with the technology.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

wnied

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I know what twinaxe is, and how it works. I've been exposed and used twinaxe through use of an AS400 within a manufacturing job where it was used on green screen terminals out in the shop area. Personally I think its sh!t, but hey whatever the client wants. As for AUI, Multicasting and or Triaxial, I am clueless on using or connecting it. I would be working with embedded NT4 computers running across these types of networking. Its not required to know them all, as they mentioned training in the begining, but I would at least like to get an idea of what to expect from the differing interfaces, thats basically why I was asking. I figured maybe a couple of you out there had had more than just a passing experience with them, and could provide me with a few tips on how it works (or doesnt)

~wnied~