Going for a degree...online vs university

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Look at Western Governors University. It is non-profit and very affordable ($3250 per term IIRC). It also seems to have a good reputation, unlike UoP and ITT.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
If a resume with ITT on it hits my desk, I inform the applicant to bring a stamp so they can mail themselves the rejection letter after the interview.

Bullshit

If thats the case you clearly have no skills to hire people.

Pantlegz

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2007
Some universities offer both in class and online classes. I know I took quite a few night classes and online classes and as far as anyone knows I graduated from the university like anyone else, because I did. It was also a lot cheaper than online diploma mills that basically charge as much as the govt will give for financial aid and bank on you dropping out after a semester or two.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Some universities offer both in class and online classes. I know I took quite a few night classes and online classes and as far as anyone knows I graduated from the university like anyone else, because I did. It was also a lot cheaper than online diploma mills that basically charge as much as the govt will give for financial aid and bank on you dropping out after a semester or two.

This - if you get a degree from a traditional 4 year university and did it entirely online, no one will be the wiser when you list it on your resume.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com

This.

Also, you shouldn't call them "online diploma mills" as that implies that people get diplomas from those places. The vast vast majority going to those for-profit schools never finish.

Most of the for-profit schools get very little respect in the "real world." Personally, I wouldn't reject someone because they had a degree from ITT. But, there are a lot of idiots in HR who "automatically" judge someone based on one thing that they did.

"My accomplishments? Well, I cured AIDS, and then cured 5 types of cancer. I did get into Mensa when I was 8 years old, but decided that they were a little too pompous, so I'm not active with them. After my accomplishments in the medical field, I started getting bored, so nights, I took some courses at ITT tech, because I wanted to learn more and there were no locally available options for me. I completed my degree there in only 6 months." "ITT Tech, huh? Next!"

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I'd be bloody embarrassed to list ITT Tech or DeVry on a resume. Those are the two "go to" names for folks who don't have the brains to cut it at a proper College or University.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Online colleges and Associates degrees are useless IMO. If I came across a resume with one of these one it, I would immediately pass before continuing through the candidate's resume.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Bullshit

If thats the case you clearly have no skills to hire people.

/agree

I have many friends in the industry who obtained their degrees through DeVry, ITT, and through and online program [including myself].

No wonder people aren't getting hired - HR departments are stuck with the mentality that you must attend a "traditional" school like everyone did back in the 1900's...

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
/agree

I have many friends in the industry who obtained their degrees through DeVry, ITT, and through and online program [including myself].

No wonder people aren't getting hired - HR departments are stuck with the mentality that you must attend a "traditional" school like everyone did back in the 1900's...

I wouldn't want to work for a company that hires people from DeVry or ITT Teck. If they're fishing from the bottom of the barrel, what does that say about the company itself?