Going Barefoot

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
I think I might have some hippie genes, I really like being barefoot. Also hate wearing shoes. Howeva, can't go everywhere barefoot. Would be bad to step on some broken glass while not wearing shoes. Also wouldn't want to go barefoot in really public places like a mall or to the store.

But I want to be able to go barefoot more often. Not for running (that would be a job for running shoes) but mostly for cycling and sometimes walking. What I'm looking for is something where it feels like I'm barefoot while having protection to walk around on most surfaces, and protect from the hot ground as well (live in Arizona). It seems like those vibram shoes are the only thing around that are anything like that, and they well may be my best bet. But, I tried a couple pairs of those on and they still feel like shoes to me, not like being barefoot. Perhaps I'll have to ultimately go with that.

If there's shoe scale (which there is isn't) from 1 to 10 where a standard shoe ranks a 10 and one of those vibram toe shoes is a 3, I'm looking for something that's a 1 or a 2. Will I have to invent something myself? Cause that's probably not going to happen. Also, flipflops/sandals = not barefoot.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
What VFF versions have you tried on?

VFF Classic's will be your best option. They are nothing like shoes. If they're not secure enough, try the Sprints.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Classic-Mens.htm

m1051-hero.jpg

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
thin leather moc?

just do it and get callused?

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
A rule I've found is that people that like to be barefoot all the time are the same people with feet should be kept out of public view.

FuzzyDunlop

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2008
I want to go barefoot more often, but Im shy about how my feet look,, missing and cracked toenails - ich.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Thanks for the info.

Vibram says their thinnest soled shoes are the Sprint and the Classic.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
A rule I've found is that people that like to be barefoot all the time are the same people with feet should be kept out of public view.
giggity :awe:

OP, you ever watched "Dual Survival" on the discovery channel? The guy on it goes barefoot through everything!

dual-survival.jpg

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
i also live in AZ, and hated wearing shoes when i was younger. it only takes a summer to get the feet calloused enough to walk on glass. i used to walk around downtown tempe in the summertime with no shoes regularly. just suck it up and get out there, its very possible to do in az. even a couple decades later, while i cant walk through downtown barefoot in june anymore, i can still easily walk through a parking lot and not worry about cutting up my feetses.

at that point of my life i aspired to live without doing anything, so i bummed around for 2 years, barefoot and homeless. wasnt too bad, and i learned quite a bit about people, the world and myself in the journey. but, real life reared its ugly head and i eventually got a job, house, wife, kids and shoes. the shoes first tho.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
:'( True dat.My big toenails have been off several times during the course of my life and are misshapen. I was hoping to get some laser treatment for the nail fungus, but my insurance wants me to take liver killing drugs that don't work again.:mad:
Still won't wear socks with sandals though.:eek:

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Barefoot for cycling? Are you fucking crazy?

I've tried barefoot cycling or just in socks and will tell you, bad move. I never suffered harshly, but I definitely will never do it again. So much pain trying to go up a hill. I don't even have the pedals that have teeth in them either... I have egg beaters.

Cycling requires shoes.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002

I've tried barefoot cycling or just in socks and will tell you, bad move. I never suffered harshly, but I definitely will never do it again. So much pain trying to go up a hill. I don't even have the pedals that have teeth in them either... I have egg beaters.

Cycling requires shoes.

Not everyone has cycles with sharp nails on em I guess :p - I like cycling barefoot a lot. Never rode up a mountain or anything barefoot though.

Thanks.

Last edited:

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Not everyone has cycles with sharp nails on em I guess :p - I like cycling barefoot a lot. Never rode up a mountain or anything barefoot though.

If you're just pedaling on straights with no corners... whatever... But I don't live in those areas. Hills everywhere I have lived.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002

Cycling requires shoes.
This.
One slip and the tops of your toes/foot can get rashed. Ask me how I know.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
This.
One slip and the tops of your toes/foot can get rashed. Ask me how I know.

Yep. Have your feet to far on the pedal and angled down... get to the bottom of the pedal.. you toes might rub on the ground badly instead of just your shoes rubbing. Take a turn where you are turning aggressively... Have it down again, bye bye feet instead of bye bye shoes.